Black Lives Matter

jyoung

9 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

That's just tragic.  I am sorry to chop your post down.  That bit stood out for me though.

What is an "indigenous" British Person?  Honestly. 

According to this person a white person whose parents and an indeterminate number of generations before are from Britain. 

My husband's cousin jumped to my defence by saying that all British people were mongrels and there was no such thing as indigenous British but in some ways I like keeping some of these acquaintances as Facebook friends because it means I'm not so shocked come elections and when they post factually incorrect stuff I can post rebuttals. Maybe it will never reach people like him but it means all his friends see it as well and hopefully it makes someone think. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:37 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

He basically spammed the entire forum with threads about how there were no social groups for people over 40. All in caps. Was quite the weekend. Wonder if I can find one...

Maybe he was Donald Trump, there's a pattern there?

On 6/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, vintagelaureate said:

I wonder if he ever successfully passed on his fudge...

Do you remember the memory guy and his team too?

@Gilgamesh69

Who could forget him?

I'll get my coat....

1 hour ago, Quark said:

"Indeterminate" - a good way of putting it GP.  It really is incredible how much prejudice is based on some really flimsy arguments that fall apart as soon as they get any examination.

Well yes it fell apart a little when he realised how many Black and Asian looking people are by now actually 2nd or 3rd generation British and how many white British people aren't if you go back the same number of generations they often have non-indigenous blood like mine. When he started the argument it all got a bit Harry Potter for me but then I'm a crazy globalist who doesn't think the location of your mother when you are born should make you feel superior to anyone else or determine your whole life chances. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Well yes it fell apart a little when he realised how many Black and Asian looking people are by now actually 2nd or 3rd generation British and how many white British people aren't if you go back the same number of generations they often have non-indigenous blood like mine. When he started the argument it all got a bit Harry Potter for me but then I'm a crazy globalist who doesn't think the location of your mother when you are born should make you feel superior to anyone else or determine your whole life chances. 

Bloody radical lefties! :lol:

It is a strange concept though.  Arbitrary lines on a map.  Obviously different places should be able to be proud of and celebrate local and regional culture and specialities, but that's just as true for areas within the UK (or any country) as it is for whole countries.  I mean, in terms of that king of regional culture I'd argue that a little postcard village in Surrey as just as far removed from the culture of a city like Liverpool as it is from a village in France.

Anyway, dragging things back to @jyoung's original plan for a place to share materials and resources and the like.  Came across this website through a podcast I was listening to the other day.

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/

Set up by David Byrne as an online magazine / resource in response to feeling overwhelmed and helpless about the news (pretty crude summary by me :D). It looks at economic, political and social issues, but does so by looking into cases or actions that are actually being taken to improve them.  Solutions-based rather than just reporting on what's happening. Some really interesting articles, and obviously a lot at the moment on BLM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bloody radical lefties! :lol:

It is a strange concept though.  Arbitrary lines on a map.  Obviously different places should be able to be proud of and celebrate local and regional culture and specialities, but that's just as true for areas within the UK (or any country) as it is for whole countries.  I mean, in terms of that king of regional culture I'd argue that a little postcard village in Surrey as just as far removed from the culture of a city like Liverpool as it is from a village in France.

Yes absolutely people can have pride as long as they can balance it with their shame at the things they are not good at because that's how you can improve. I'm Irish and there's lots of things I'm proud of for a small nation we definitely punch above our weight on the literary front, I like that we are globetrotters, that the stereotype of us being friendly is pretty accurate (for most anyway) but how much control we let the catholic church take in the country and how much harm that did is shameful. I'm proud of recent referendums but ashamed that for so long some of these issues weren't even allowed to be discussed freely. I'm ashamed when I hear about any acts of racism or sectarianism. 

Looking at your country with a critical eye doesn't make you less patriotic, in fact in some ways I'd argue it makes you more because you want and expect the best from your country and are not willing to settle for less. 

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Anyway, dragging things back to @jyoung's original plan for a place to share materials and resources and the like.  Came across this website through a podcast I was listening to the other day.

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/

Set up by David Byrne as an online magazine / resource in response to feeling overwhelmed and helpless about the news (pretty crude summary by me :D). It looks at economic, political and social issues, but does so by looking into cases or actions that are actually being taken to improve them.  Solutions-based rather than just reporting on what's happening. Some really interesting articles, and obviously a lot at the moment on BLM.

When I saw David Byrne on his last tour he ended with Janelle Monae's Hell You Talmbout and that's what being an ally is all about. Using your voice to amplify someone else's. It was very powerful. 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, zahidf said:

Yeah that's an exaggeration. Unless the police do something stupid like kill someone.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, Copperface said:

I give it a week or two before parts of London are burning (depending on the weather of course) and it will have butt all to do with the unlawful killing of George Floyd. 

Reckon the odds on this being right have shortened to hmm, almost evens tonight? What do you think?

Good luck if you're in London tonight.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm in London, having a nice lay down in a park after work. Thanks for the well wishes.

You're welcome. Let's hope the weather intervenes and cools feelings. Love to visit nowadays but no way could live there again.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Emily has said to the BBC that BLM will have a prominent role in next years festival.

I wonder what this will be. Something equal to the 50/50 campaign for gender balance?

Emily Eavis: Glastonbury 2021 will be 'a double celebration' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53176261

No. She said it would have played a prominent role THIS year. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

And it will be all forgotten about next year?

I’m merely correcting you making up facts again.

I’d like to hope that it’s still in the forefront of people’s minds, but as with everything in modern western society: once the media turn their heads elsewhere unfortunately a large majority also will follow.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I’m merely correcting you making up facts again.

I’d like to hope that it’s still in the forefront of people’s minds, but as with everything in modern western society: once the media turn their heads elsewhere unfortunately a large majority also will follow.

😂 really strange thing to pick up on. Why are you being a dick?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 10:29 AM, guypjfreak said:

Really hate to put this out there.. Yes slavery was a terrible time in history but you must remember that it was black men who sold black men to the slavers.. 

It's all bad 

Hi Guypjfreak. I know you have been around here a long time like me.

While undoubtedly what you claim is true, on some scale, it misses the point completely. Focusing on what you do is wholly inappropriate. 

The fact of the matter is that however hard you try, you cannot blame black Africans for slavery. It is a nonsense. Slavery was a 400 year crime perpetrated by white people against black people. Sure it is in the Bible and the Koran and Egypt and all ancient African societies,  ancient China, everywhere basically, but the industrial exploitation of slaves, including slave ships. whips and shackles and genocide is solely the preserve of the great modern Empires, most notably the British Empire. Nothing like this existed before them.

I have close connections and love for Jamaica and Barbados. These two islands saw the base brutality and inhumanity as well as anywhere. You would not believe the shit that went down there, the shit you were never taught in school.

Slavers would trade recipes of toxic salts that they would rub into the backs of men whipped to an inch of the life in magazines and pamphlets. Think about that. They would share designs of shackles that had spikes and barbs on the inside designed to cripple men pursuing only quests for freedom.

On the slave ships themselves, those who died (20%) were dumped overboard, in such numbers (10s of thousands) that it is said that the sharks evolved to follow the slave ships.

Even as Slavery was abolished, the reparation payments were paid to the slave owners not the former slaves themselves. No descendent of a slave ever got a penny anywhere. Think about that.

A day of reckoning and reparation is due.

I hope it is now.

I sadly doubt though that justice will ever be done.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, bamber said:

Hi Guypjfreak. I know you have been around here a long time like me.

While undoubtedly what you claim is true, on some scale, it misses the point completely. Focusing on what you do is wholly inappropriate. 

The fact of the matter is that however hard you try, you cannot blame black Africans for slavery. It is a nonsense. Slavery was a 400 year crime perpetrated by white people against black people. Sure it is in the Bible and the Koran and Egypt and all ancient African societies,  ancient China, everywhere basically, but the industrial exploitation of slaves, including slave ships. whips and shackles and genocide is solely the preserve of the great modern Empires, most notably the British Empire. Nothing like this existed before them.

I have close connections and love for Jamaica and Barbados. These two islands saw the base brutality and inhumanity as well as anywhere. You would not believe the shit that went down there, the shit you were never taught in school.

Slavers would trade recipes of toxic salts that they would rub into the backs of men whipped to an inch of the life in magazines and pamphlets. Think about that. They would share designs of shackles that had spikes and barbs on the inside designed to cripple men pursuing only quests for freedom.

On the slave ships themselves, those who died (20%) were dumped overboard, in such numbers (10s of thousands) that it is said that the sharks evolved to follow the slave ships.

Even as Slavery was abolished, the reparation payments were paid to the slave owners not the former slaves themselves. No descendent of a slave ever got a penny anywhere. Think about that.

A day of reckoning and reparation is due.

I hope it is now.

Hi bam.. Sorry if it came across as simply blacks selling there own people into slavery and your right about it not being taught in schools tho I'm pretty sure I'm older than you and they sure didn't teach us shit.. Although my first hero was David Livingstone.... What that has to do with anything I don't know and I believe in the sun god kon tiki.. Again wtf lol 

Man's inhumanity to man is the longest story in the world.. Right back to the Romans all the through the terrible slavery trade through the Russian 5 year plans and its terrible consequences to the killing fields of Cambodia.. The list goes on and on.. 

And the sad thing is its happening right now.. The Muslims of Myanmar are being kicked out by those who are supposed to all about peace and love... . The rich Indians are dropping off their.. Uses two fingers.. Servents cos they can't afford to feed them.... That WAS thier wage.. No money... 

Right down to the slavers that keep people in this and probably all the countries in the world right here today.. It seems like its a never ending thing since we could overcome another people's.. 

I was hoping this coronavirus would bring the world together but as always happens the countries that have the most money will come out of it better and be able to Lord it over the worst off.. Especially in poorer countries.. 

It seems life,, the world and time all just go round in a big circle of inventions and war and killing and prosperity and famine and on and on and on.. Today we knock these statues down.... Should be put in museums.... In 200 or 300 years they will take down statues we put up today.. 

I never intensionally mean to upset anyone I hope you know that.. I think black lives matter, I believe all lives matter.. Well there are some exceptions...my mums.. . Yes racism is everywhere as is injustice let's just hope things in the future get better for our children and theirs and theirs.. 

Peace and tea 

G xx

Bloody hell must be my longest ever post.. Lololol 

Edited by guypjfreak

On 7/8/2020 at 2:36 AM, bamber said:

True justice may not be achievable. However, equality is well within our grasp. It's there for the taking. However, it is my opinion that covid - 19 stopped the whole world from going doo lally against racism. I fear that the status quo of the past mightn't get shifted as a result. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though. 

Oh, one last thing - you are right bamber, in that this section of history was very much brushed over during my school years. I hate facing reality at the best of times, but maybe that education should be thrust upon us. The pain of the black community must and should be felt by all, not just the black community. 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

True justice may not be achievable. However, equality is well within our grasp. It's there for the taking. However, it is my opinion that covid - 19 stopped the whole world from going doo lally against racism. I fear that the status quo of the past mightn't get shifted as a result. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though. 

Oh, one last thing - you are right bamber, in that this section of history was very much brushed over during my school years. I hate facing reality at the best of times, but maybe that education should be thrust upon us. The pain of the black community must and should be felt by all, not just the black community. 

Equality is all that is required (Justice). It should be simple, I mean, what the fuck else do those (Trump) people want?

It is Equality or War. Those blind to that leave themselves embittered, hence the problems, hence the stand off.

23 minutes ago, bamber said:

Equality is all that is required (Justice). It should be simple, I mean, what the fuck else do those (Trump) people want?

It is Equality or War. Those blind to that leave themselves embittered, hence the problems, hence the stand off.

I agree that equality is the desired goal, but is it justice, or is it a long and should be unnecessary battle for what should have already been in place? 

Equality shouldn't stop at racial equality either. Ideally we should have global economic and social equality. 

More and more and more harmony is what we want and need. What we don't really need is to keep buying more and more 'stuff', to keep the wheels turning - unless those commodities happen to be drink, drugs, and fags, of course. I believe they are called your 'staples'. 

29 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I agree that equality is the desired goal, but is it justice, or is it a long and should be unnecessary battle for what should have already been in place? 

Equality shouldn't stop at racial equality either. Ideally we should have global economic and social equality. 

More and more and more harmony is what we want and need. What we don't really need is to keep buying more and more 'stuff', to keep the wheels turning - unless those commodities happen to be drink, drugs, and fags, of course. I believe they are called your 'staples'. 

All truth.

A day of reckoning will come, the circumstances of that reckoning are ill-defined.

Gill Scott Heron said "The revolution will not be televised".

How wrong can you be?

Edited by bamber