Black Lives Matter

jyoung

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

So who is disagreeing with that? Not me. And it is a part of a far, far wider endemic structural problem in Western society. Don't even start with some of the far eastern attitudes to race. 

But words matter, and lumping 'the police', 'UK police (your words), signs and chants of ACAB and so on,  into an amorphous anonymous grouping is wrong, and seemingly ignoring the elements of pure criminality which attach themselves like leeches to such movements is naive in the extreme.

I give it a week or two before parts of London are burning (depending on the weather of course) and it will have butt all to do with the unlawful killing of George Floyd. 

Yeah that's an exaggeration. Unless the police do something stupid like kill someone.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah that's an exaggeration. Unless the police do something stupid like kill someone.

What is the exaggeration?

Emotions are high at this time, and this weekend's planned mass influx of the XRW/football/'veteran' arseholes to confront the equally arsehole ridden more extreme elements who attach themselves to the BLM movement, with the police in the middle, could provoke anything. Undoubtedly both sides will blame anyone but themselves.

It is evident that some factions would love nothing more than a few nights of anarchy to amuse themselves for a bit, and the 'football lads' have been deprived of their fun for several months so both are itching to go at it. Your point about the police killing someone is a strawman argument - there have been enough killings and shootings in the last few weeks in London within the BAME community. Doing something stupid is not an option, it is sometimes simply necessary, justified, proportionate and lawful.

BLM yes but so does English culture and history... 

There's to many knee jerk reactions going on.. If you check out Thomas Guy and slaves he didn't make any money.. Yes he has a past.. 

Faulty towers shows being dropped.. Which if you REALLY WANT TO GO DOWN THAT RD you will have to cut shows from are you being served to the goons and even I'm sure East shitty enders.. 

Come on yes things have to change but do you think want to be living in a diluted England where artists and TV programmes and comics are to scared to say Boo 

As Dave said at the Brits...

"You should be grateful we're the least racist, I say the least racist is still the least racist.

And if somebody hasn't said it, equality is a right, it doesn't deserve credit.

If you don't wanna get it, then you're never gonna get it..."

34 minutes ago, jyoung said:

As Dave said at the Brits...

"You should be grateful we're the least racist, I say the least racist is still the least racist.

Dave didn't say that.

If he did then might want a rethink.

I'm signed up to emails about the BLM protests from the Stop Trump coalition and just got this email this morning – so grim! :(

Our previous email included details of upcoming Black Lives Matter protests in London. To ensure the safety of people who choose to protest, we are sharing this message from BLM LDN: 

"Due to many hate groups threatening the safety of protesters, we believe it's best if Saturday's protest at Hyde Park doesn't happen. As you may have heard, Tommy Robinson, ex-leader of the EDL, has said that he and many of his supporters will be attending Saturday's protest to express their anger over the toppling of the statue and overall oppose the BLM message. We want the protests to be a safe space for people to attend, however we don't think it'll be possible with people like them present.

"Friday [today]'s protest will still be happening, starting at Hyde Park, Speakers Corner at 1pm."

If you are protesting, please keep yourself and others as safe as possible by following social distancing rules and wearing a face mask, and know your rights.

43 minutes ago, zahidf said:

True!

Shameful media, as ever- they do this deliberately

The fact that they seem to think that Churchill, after single handedly winning the war, turned to bronze but will return one day when his country needs him, is worrying!

All the mental gymnastics required to pump out that front page-- essentially BLM are being attacked and condemned for something that hasn't even happened yet (the vandalising of the Churchill statue) as proof that they're bad, and the person that had the statue covered up vowing to fight this covering up of the statue and get it undone, which aparantly would be a heroic act. Oh and apparently the statue isn't actually a statue - it IS THE REAL ACTUAL WINSTON CHURCHILL! 

Edited by Mr.Tease

On 6/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Not particularly unconscious if he gave the colour of the man's skin as a reason.

I've got no problem with people being stopped based on the colour of their skin if that is a description that has been given when reporting a crime. Purely stopping someone because they are black though is the racist bit.

I'm going to start by denouncing racism of all kinds. Its totally wrong and unacceptable. There is nothing wrong in calling out racism and demonstrating but what irks me is when damage is done in ignorance of facts. And it especially irks when protesters wear branded clothing of companies with historic and modern links to slave labour.  

Edited by Lycra

51 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I've got no problem with people being stopped based on the colour of their skin if that is a description that has been given when reporting a crime. Purely stopping someone because they are black though is the racist bit.

There's no indication in that clip that they matched a description was there?

Amazing that the BBC still happily pumping out pathetic stories about Faulty towers and a few statues, winding up right wing racists even more, desperate to avoid any series engagement about racism and the impact. Wonder if Johnson and the Mail etc will go for the Trump "both sides" equivalence

Edited by Mr.Tease