Black Lives Matter

jyoung

Jesus. Not just that comment but also the whole attitude towards her by the 4 tossers while she's speaking. What kind of debate show is that anyways when you have 4 right wingers vs 1 leftwing person. Oh that's right, it's the usual TV politics discussion ratio

17 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Jesus. Not just that comment but also the whole attitude towards her by the 4 tossers while she's speaking. What kind of debate show is that anyways when you have 4 right wingers vs 1 leftwing person. Oh that's right, it's the usual TV politics discussion ratio

well, to be fair to the racists and idiots, "If you don't like it here, LEAVE" *IS* said very often by brexiters to remainers (that are obviously often white).

I'm *only* correcting that factual error, because it is a factual error. 

When it gets said to non-whites we all know what's really going on.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

well, to be fair to the racists and idiots, "If you don't like it here, LEAVE" *IS* said very often by brexiters to remainers (that are obviously often white).

Trump of course said it to 4 women of colour in the US. all of whom are american citizens. So we knew what he means...

1 minute ago, Neil said:

What really frustrates me about this “don’t like it leave” argument is that the country can only be run in their preferred way and no criticism of the supreme leader will be tolerated. I think that is waning off a bit now as Boris is sitting back and not challenging the removal of statutes of slave traders.

Just now, Matt42 said:

What really frustrates me about this “don’t like it leave” argument is that the country can only be run in their preferred way and no criticism of the supreme leader will be tolerated.

yeah - it's about attempting to own the narrative, to have a stronger grip on control.

I perfectly accept the right for peaceful protest, what I don't understand is  that a few of those protesting about the Cecil Rhodes statue at Oriel college in Oxford (my home town) accepted the Rhodes scholarship and studied there ..It doesn't make sense and certainly last night this was what was being said to those doing a peaceful protest ..there was silence when questioned .

The other point is that my home town has  prolific cases of child grooming gangs and no one ever speaks up about these poor girls and the horrendous acts committed against them 

Also a lot of the clothes being worn  yesterday were quite likely produced in sweatshops , I just don't understand the rhetoric at all in some people 

7 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I perfectly accept the right for peaceful protest, what I don't understand is  that a few of those protesting about the Cecil Rhodes statue at Oriel college in Oxford (my home town) accepted the Rhodes scholarship and studied there ..It doesn't make sense and certainly last night this was what was being said to those doing a peaceful protest ..there was silence when questioned .

The other point is that my home town has  prolific cases of child grooming gangs and no one ever speaks up about these poor girls and the horrendous acts committed against them 

Also a lot of the clothes being worn  yesterday were quite likely produced in sweatshops , I just don't understand the rhetoric at all in some people 

Rename the scholarship

None of the other stuff has anything to do with the dodgy statue commemorating a scumbag

23 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I perfectly accept the right for peaceful protest, what I don't understand is  that a few of those protesting about the Cecil Rhodes statue at Oriel college in Oxford (my home town) accepted the Rhodes scholarship and studied there ..

You don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. No one is saying that Rhodes should be a non-person.

A statue venerates Rhodes as (still, today) a great man. 

Separately, Rhodes acquired great wealth and gave it away for good causes. The money he gave away is still given away, he can't take it back.

There might be an argument to be made that POC should be the ones to benefit from it from now on, but the good thing of funded scholarships shouldn't be trashed to make a stand against something long done that cannot be changed.

Put down the bullshit and step away from Fake Tommy.

It's better to change some of the bad than none of it.

Personally I think the root cause of racism is the economic system which values the labour of the guy in the sweatshop less than 'my' (western world's) labour and that needs to be the loudest part of the conversation, but that doesn't mean we can't demand the removal of a statue too.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If someone does good things with dirty money they still go to prison 

You didn't finish what happens.

The state then takes the dirty money away from the criminal and uses it to do good things.

Which is essentially what's happening with Rhodes' dirty money

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If someone does good things with dirty money they still go to prison 

what about those in receipt of this money as so many POC have benefited from the scholarships at Oriel college . I'm trying to understand why the taking down of statues helps the cause.

Take the one outside the BBC of a paedophile  

3 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

I wasn't going to reply, but false dilemmas really wind me up.

We are currently experiencing a fabulous awakening for many people who haven't realised that their everyday unconscious bias* has a cumulative negative impact on black people's lives. Right now, at this point, it's time to examine our own behaviours and actions and biases and consciously do better. That's the thought process that needs to be focused on. Not to create any comparisons or oh what about xyz, they are completely separate issues and by conflating them your thought process and those you influence with these comparisons become polluted and corrupted, and you become part of the problem.

*I use bias. I am, we all are bias, some are outright racist, but we are all bias - it's what we've absorbed over the years, there's no avoiding it. Accept that you are and fight it every moment of every day - no more of this status quo.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

My daughter investigates some of these criminals so you can't hide away from it .

My GS is mixed race Afro Caribbean ,16 years old and along with his other Nan don't condone any of this BLM protests so why do some POC agree and many don't ? 

What's your daughters view on the protests, as a police officer?