Black Lives Matter

jyoung

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Surely this statue  must have been the subject of debate for some time? 

TBH, I wasn't aware the statue was even where it was (my sister just texted me the same thing). The bigger bone of contention (as far as I was aware @Neilmay know more, I've lived in London for over 10 years) was the naming of the Colston Hall. As I said, Massive Attack have never played the Colston Hall as a protest.

Colston Hall got shut down for refurb fairly recently (I believe it is council-owned) and the 'compromise' was that when it reopened it would get a new name (IIRC).

I had an argument on Facebook (yes, I know) about two years ago with an old school 'friend' who said they should keep the name and we should remember our heritage.

7 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

I have a family member in the met police that was there. What evidence are you using to come to your conclusion that the police charged at the protestors before they were pelted with missiles ?

1. Please go back and quote the bit where I concluded that the police charged at the protestors before being pelted with missiles.  Once you've refreshed my memory on that, I'll try and come up with an answer for you.

2.  If you have first hand evidence from 'a family member in the met that was there,' I'd recommend mentioning  this at the time you make your point, rather than after you've been challenged.  Otherwise, you risk being accused of making things up.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I find it strange that a statue of a slave trader has stood for centuries without the local authorities deciding to remove it. Well done the public for taking the decision to remove it. Should have been taken down years ago and stuck in a black museum. The argument that they should leave the statue as a reminder of the slave trade doesn’t hold water with me,  you don’t need a statue of Hitler to remember WW2! 

Agreed. A statue is, by nature, a celebration of an individual. We shouldn't be celebrating slave traders.

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Surely this statue  must have been the subject of debate for some time? 

"In a poll in the local newspaper, the Bristol Post, in 2014, 56 percent of the 1,100 respondents said it should stay while 44 per cent wanted it to go."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Colston

I suspect the vote would go in favour of getting rid now but it's now not relevant, I can't see the council putting it back. It's the same old debate though does denying your history help? The city of Bristol was pretty much built on slavery maybe they'll put up a memorial for the slaves who died.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

The sooner the water cannons come out on these scumbags the better. Disgusting behaviour in the middle of a global pandemic. And with you lot celebrating this type of behaviour you need to have a word with yourselves. 

Social distancing does seem to have gone out of the window - agreed.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

The sooner the water cannons come out on these scumbags the better. Disgusting behaviour in the middle of a global pandemic. And with you lot celebrating this type of behaviour you need to have a word with yourselves. 

discussing what should be done with the statue of a slave trader, when said statue is at the bottom of a river already, is the best possible argument for direct action. Doesnt seem violent, just funny.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

have a check back on your posting history tells me I will get my advice elsewhere thanks 

Edited by crazyfool1

13 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

They acted on their instincts, rightfully and justifiably. Any reasonable citizens would have done the same. Time to move on.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They acted on their instincts, rightfully and justifiably. Any reasonable citizens would have done the same. Time to move on.

It’s Vandalism and criminal damage of someone else’s property. On top of that there is zero social distancing. Innocent people will die as a direct result of these irresponsible actions. This is not the way to make a point. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2