Black Lives Matter

jyoung

42 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I was calling people out on Facebook who were posting in the comments section of the newspaper in Lincoln (not the most forward thinking county in the country, granted) things like ‘White Lives Matter!’ ‘British Lives Matter’ with ‘Because white Europeans have been SO oppressed throughout history, haven’t they.’ It seemed to shut them up. 

Some white Europeans have (Greek and Irish people, for example), but white English people don't fall into that category.

The "all lives matter" crowd are missing the point. All lives do matter, yes, and no one should view themselves as exempt from becoming a victim of police brutality. But BLM was set up by black people, to address problems that the black community face more regularly than it ever should. It's like when Jewish people observe holocaust memorial day, and someone comes along and says "today should be a memorial day for ALL atrocities ever committed!"

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I was calling people out on Facebook who were posting in the comments section of the newspaper in Lincoln (not the most forward thinking county in the country, granted) things like ‘White Lives Matter!’ ‘British Lives Matter’ with ‘Because white Europeans have been SO oppressed throughout history, haven’t they.’ It seemed to shut them up. 

It does my head in. Lots of idiots comparing it to the Lee Rigby murder too.

"Why didn't people care when Rigby was murdered!?!?!" they vomit out onto social media, as if there wasn't a huge national outrage when it happened

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

Some white Europeans have (Greek and Irish people, for example), but white English people don't fall into that category.

The "all lives matter" crowd are missing the point. All lives do matter, yes, and no one should view themselves as exempt from becoming a victim of police brutality. But BLM was set up by black people, to address problems that the black community face more regularly than it ever should. It's like when Jewish people observe holocaust memorial day, and someone comes along and says "today should be a memorial day for ALL atrocities ever committed!"

Exactly.  Now I'm pretty much as atheist as they come, but there's some decent philosophy in the teachings of that carpenter's son and this tweet sums up why it is a good time to be focusing on black lives.

This song, by the late, great Phil Ochs is still so fitting 55 years later.

The backlash at the protests from those who are supposedly pro-equality made me think about it.

One of the big issues in this day and age is those who think they are more liberal with their thoughts but in reality they aren't.

I'm sure we all know plenty of people who this song could be about, people who have these sort of views on equality:

• 'I support black rights but wouldn't want a black family beside me'
  • 'I'm happy to have immigration, but I don't want to work with immigrants'
  • 'I have no issue with gay marriage but I wouldn't want a child of mine to be gay'

4 hours ago, VCK said:

Yes I think as an Irish person it has given me a little bit of insight particularly moving to Manchester the year after the IRA had bombed it. I definitely encountered some prejudice which has given me empathy with black and asians. However, one crucial difference for me is before I had lost my accent I could still just be silent and people wouldn't know just by looking at me that I was Irish whereas when the thing that differentiates you is your skin colour you cannot escape it. 

47 minutes ago, northernringo said:

This song, by the late, great Phil Ochs is still so fitting 55 years later.

The backlash at the protests from those who are supposedly pro-equality made me think about it.

One of the big issues in this day and age is those who think they are more liberal with their thoughts but in reality they aren't.

I'm sure we all know plenty of people who this song could be about, people who have these sort of views on equality:

• 'I support black rights but wouldn't want a black family beside me'
  • 'I'm happy to have immigration, but I don't want to work with immigrants'
  • 'I have no issue with gay marriage but I wouldn't want a child of mine to be gay'

Whenever I'm feeling mean I like to point out Frank Turner has essentially made a career out of singing this song without realising its ironic.

"Monday, there was a peaceful protest organized by high school students that went from Oakland Tech High School to downtown. It was scheduled to run from 5-7pm to give students time to return home before the 8pm curfew. At 7:20pm as it was dispersing and people were heading out, the Oakland police deployed teargas and flash-bangs against the kids- without warning, and without asking them to immediately leave. I don't feel this has received enough coverage."

from a friend of mine in California

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

A UK example. We're talking about the US of A in here

Ah, fair enough.

The small amount of videos I’ve seen of US law enforcement apologising and condemning the killing is far outweighed by some pretty shocking videos. Some of it looks very paramilitary, and things like shooting rubber bullets/aiming the guns at children and news teams is just bonkers.

It is as if they’re completely unaware the worlds eyes are on them.

47 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Ah, fair enough.

The small amount of videos I’ve seen of US law enforcement apologising and condemning the killing is far outweighed by some pretty shocking videos. Some of it looks very paramilitary, and things like shooting rubber bullets/aiming the guns at children and news teams is just bonkers.

It is as if they’re completely unaware the worlds eyes are on them.

America thinks it doesn't have to give a fuck what the rest of the world thinks.

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Awww well. That's them cancelled.

System Of A Down’s John Dolmayan: “Donald Trump is the greatest friend to minorities”

They already needed to fuck off and not come back because they’ve got no intention of ever recording new music. Waste of time band*. 

*they're my second favourite band of all-time as well. It’s sad that their cash cow antics have led to me thinking this.