Black Lives Matter

jyoung

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Somewhat misleading - it had been finished about an hour before that video was posted. Just a minor scuffle, all sorted from what I can tell.

Of course, I'm not in London, so I might be talking bollocks, but I saw that video quite a while ago and couldn't find any evidence of anything else happening and someone saying it only lasted for about 10 minutes.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Somewhat misleading - it had been finished about an hour before that video was posted. Just a minor scuffle, all sorted from what I can tell.

Of course, I'm not in London, so I might be talking bollocks, but I saw that video quite a while ago and couldn't find any evidence of anything else happening and someone saying it only lasted for about 10 minutes.

Yeah, there's usually some kind of twist to these things. They'll do anything to paint the protesters as bad.

On another note, do you folks know there's a conspiracy going around that there's a new king of England? That isn't Charles...

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah, there's usually some kind of twist to these things. They'll do anything to paint the protesters as bad.

On another note, do you folks know there's a conspiracy going around that there's a new king of England? That isn't Charles...

Just searched the king stuff.  These people are mental.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Police bruality against black people isnt the disease, it's a symptom of it. The whole American system is against Black people. 400 years of oppression. It runs deeper than cops. They are just empowered by the system. How hard it is for minorities to get positions of power. Even in sport, where a massively high % of players are black.

It needs to change.

I've heard some people say "it's ok here" - it's not. It's just different & in comparison to the USA, I do think there is more of a class issue here than a merely black / white issue (i.e. the Hillsborough cover up) the system here is rigged against the working classes. The American dream is a geniune thing, IF you are white. Here, the working classes are kept in their place, but there is also far too much racism here too. We've all heard it / seen it & it's being empowered by Trump lite & Mr Barnard's Castle.

The "ruling class" are very quick to highlight and divide the white / black / asian working classes as they are then easier to rule. They make us fight amongst ourselves, when in reality we are more alike than us and those "in charge".

#BLACKLIVESMATTER

Spot on. Every single word. Black people are not your enemy. The average white man on the street is not your enemy either depsite how it's "woke" to say that you hate white men. It's the elites who are your enemy.

Trump, the Democrats, they're all the same to me. A bunch of race hustling frauds who keep fanning the flames of an already divided nation. Sadly there are too many idiots who look up to these elite politicians, journalists and celebrities like they're religious icons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't see it but I was on the other side, it all got a bit heated for a little bit but that was about it. A peaceful but angry crowd. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jyoung said:

My man, there are police officers in the crowds, antagonising the protests and smashing store windows to literally prompt looting. What you are seeing is their creation You wouldn't want to be a cop? Well imagine how it feels to be black.

Hey let's get this right I was in NO WAY saying that the protests are wrong or that the police are right.. Ffs I was just saying that with the situation out there I would not like to be a copper.. Fuck sake.. This is the trouble with text.. It can be read which ever way you want to read it.. And yes it might be the way I write.. 

What has happened is disgusting and I've just learned that they are upping the charges and arrested the other cops.. So if I was them I think I'd top myself cos they won't last long in the nick.. 

But saying all that lotting and burning your own area isn't good.. Even his family have said to stop.. And the honest police of which many are still have to go out and defend their home towns.. 

This pic below.. The words are not mine but is true.. Peaceful protest.. Nick the cops and get justice for him and others but don't go ruining your home town especially when the familys wishes are not to.. 

101805794_551847285511007_3339649295287582720_n.jpg

34 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Hey let's get this right I was in NO WAY saying that the protests are wrong or that the police are right.. Ffs I was just saying that with the situation out there I would not like to be a copper.. Fuck sake.. This is the trouble with text.. It can be read which ever way you want to read it.. And yes it might be the way I write.. 

What has happened is disgusting and I've just learned that they are upping the charges and arrested the other cops.. So if I was them I think I'd top myself cos they won't last long in the nick.. 

But saying all that lotting and burning your own area isn't good.. Even his family have said to stop.. And the honest police of which many are still have to go out and defend their home towns.. 

This pic below.. The words are not mine but is true.. Peaceful protest.. Nick the cops and get justice for him and others but don't go ruining your home town especially when the familys wishes are not to.. 

101805794_551847285511007_3339649295287582720_n.jpg

Any source for that pic? 

38 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Nothing personal on you my friend. In my opinion the words "I wouldn't want to be a cop" imply a feeling of sympathy for the police force as opposed to an understanding as to why people are protesting. As far as I am aware are, the police are not the victims in this situation.

38 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Police officers killing black people isn't good either. If you think the answer would be for people not to loot, it might be worth taking a read of this article - https://thenewinquiry.com/in-defense-of-looting/ 

"Modern American police forces evolved out of fugitive slave patrols, working to literally keep property from escaping its owners. The history of the police in America is the history of black people being violently prevented from threatening white people’s property rights. When, in the midst of an anti-police protest movement, people loot, they aren’t acting non-politically, they aren’t distracting from the issue of police violence and domination, nor are they fanning the flames of an always-already racist media discourse. Instead, they are getting straight to the heart of the problem of the police, property, and white supremacy."

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Nothing personal on you my friend. In my opinion the words "I wouldn't want to be a cop" imply a feeling of sympathy for the police force as opposed to an understanding as to why people are protesting. As far as I am aware are, the police are not the victims in this situation.

Police officers killing black people isn't good either. If you think the answer would be for people not to loot, it might be worth taking a read of this article - https://thenewinquiry.com/in-defense-of-looting/ 

"Modern American police forces evolved out of fugitive slave patrols, working to literally keep property from escaping its owners. The history of the police in America is the history of black people being violently prevented from threatening white people’s property rights. When, in the midst of an anti-police protest movement, people loot, they aren’t acting non-politically, they aren’t distracting from the issue of police violence and domination, nor are they fanning the flames of an always-already racist media discourse. Instead, they are getting straight to the heart of the problem of the police, property, and white supremacy."

If I tried to write down everything old son I'd never get to bed tonight and you and everyone else would be bored AND PROBABLY CONFUSED.... 

My main issue with looting is it distracts from the key point of the protest and gives the ignorant right more ammunition. For the people more easily swayed by the rhetoric of someone like Trump, it can skew their perception of what's happening and make them less sympathetic to the cause. It changes the focus of the issue from "massive injustice as innocent black man murdered by cop" to "violent protests break out" and it gives the likes of Fox News a convenient distraction away from the core problem.

The absolute key thing here is social justice, and I worry looting undermines that progress. I completely get the frustration and anger and I can't say if I were a black man in somewhere like Atlanta, I wouldn't be doing the same so I certainly am not judging them by any means. But Killer Mike had it spot on imo.

Edit: I'm obviously aware a lot of the looting has been stoked by white supremacists and cops (plenty of crossover there mind). This is on looting during a protest in general 

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

My main issue with looting is it distracts from the key point of the protest and gives the ignorant right more ammunition. For the people more easily swayed by the rhetoric of someone like Trump, it can skew their perception of what's happening and make them less sympathetic to the cause. It changes the focus of the issue from "massive injustice as innocent black man murdered by cop" to "violent protests break out" and it gives the likes of Fox News a convenient distraction away from the core problem.

The absolute key thing here is social justice, and I worry looting undermines that progress. I completely get the frustration and anger and I can't say if I were a black man in somewhere like Atlanta, I wouldn't be doing the same so I certainly am not judging them by any means. But Killer Mike had it spot on imo.

Edit: I'm obviously aware a lot of the looting has been stoked by white supremacists and cops (plenty of crossover there molind). This is on looting during a protest in general 

This 

I think I'll just wait and add this to the bottom of a post.. Saves alot off bloody texting.. 

Edited by guypjfreak

6 hours ago, marcoolio said:

It's from 2015.

Captura-de-pantalla-2020-06-01-a-las-11.

Thought it might be something like that. Beware the internet meme as a source for an argument. 

On the looting; for me this is a situation when my opinion, as a white man, doesn't really matter. As Homer once said "I'm a while male aged 18 to 49, EVERYONE listens to me!", sometimes is better just to keep our thoughts to ourselves. My opinion is rendered irrelevant given my lack of experience of what black people have gone through and continue to go through. I thought Trevor Noah's video made some really interesting points;

I don't even give the looting a thought. It's just a symptom of the sickness. 

Whatever needs to happen for change to be awknowledged. The police are using unprovoked violence on peaceful protests, who cares about looting? Even the places being looted, I.e. Target, have come out in support of the protests. 

The looting is insignificant in a pile of extremely significant actions. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Thought it might be something like that. Beware the internet meme as a source for an argument. 

On the looting; for me this is a situation when my opinion, as a white man, doesn't really matter. As Homer once said "I'm a while male aged 18 to 49, EVERYONE listens to me!", sometimes is better just to keep our thoughts to ourselves. My opinion is rendered irrelevant given my lack of experience of what black people have gone through and continue to go through. I thought Trevor Noah's video made some really interesting points;

Homer Simpson is supposed to be between 18 and 49?? He looks like he’s in his fifties!

7 hours ago, marcoolio said:

It's from 2015.

Captura-de-pantalla-2020-06-01-a-las-11.

That'll explain it then they obviously didn't need to mourn someone who was still alive. There will always be a tiny minority who see it as an opportunity (a bit like the twats who bulk bought toilet rolls and hand sanitiser and sold them on ebay at the start of the pandemic) but that doesn't mean there isn't a crisis that demands urgent change and the change needs to be on white people. Inclusivity needs to be more than a Corporate buzzword. We need to educate ourselves on the injustices that have been and continue to be perpetuated towards black people. 

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

Whatever needs to happen for change to be awknowledged. The police are using unprovoked violence on peaceful protests, who cares about looting? Even the places being looted, I.e. Target, have come out in support of the protests. 

I don't think it's insignificant to BAME business owners who not only got hammered with Covid but have now lost their livelihoods altogether. Unfortunately they do have to give it a second thought.

You can see some of the stories here https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/us/minneapolis-protests-business-looting.html

Again I refer to my post above for my thoughts on the matter, and caveats on who is doing the looting, but I don't think it's an insignificant topic and my point, most importantly, is it distracts from the core issue of achieving social justice. I'm incredibly conscious of bring a white man in rural England commenting on this, but that's why I defer to Killer Mike's comments, and those of George Floyd's brother, which I thought summed everything up poignantly.

Edited by jparx

I think it's important just to stress again that the looters seem to be a fraction of those peacefully protesting and a chunk of it seems to be egged on by those with evil agendas. I just hate seeing the media get distracted over looting because the second it happens once, that's how the whole protest is portrayed and it really fucking irritates me because the it brushes the actual issue under the carpet again.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think this is a time when people of all backgrounds should speak up. We may not have had the same experiences as black people in America, but the same can be said for most races, and no-one's opinion is irrelevant on an issue like this.

At the end of the day, it's not about white vs. black, it never should be, but it's about the people vs. the elites.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

What if you lived in the communities that were being ransacked? From what I've gathered, these residents (a lot of them black) aren't really keen on the destruction that's going on where they live.

I was calling people out on Facebook who were posting in the comments section of the newspaper in Lincoln (not the most forward thinking county in the country, granted) things like ‘White Lives Matter!’ ‘British Lives Matter’ with ‘Because white Europeans have been SO oppressed throughout history, haven’t they.’ It seemed to shut them up.