FYRE Festival - Netflix

ghandi

Recommended watch. I mean wow what a tool to try and create a festival on an island in the Bahamas that you didn't own ( like you said you did), and give yourself 3 months to make it happen with zero knowledge and experience and sell the festival to the well to do as the dream experience, the Coachella nation fell for it hook line and sinker. Excellent 🤣

Forgotten a few points about it now, but one thing I remembered thinking was that there seemed to be a genuine belief they could pull it off, rather than outright scamming people. Also that they’d ploughed so much into it they felt they just had to keep on going. Not defending them by the way, it was idiocy on ridiculous scale, I just remember it being portrayed as a con. 

I honestly believe the intention at first was to put in the festival exactly as advertised and due to their naivety around the whole festival scene were never really going to achieve it. The issue is they had plenty of opportunity to pull the plug and didn’t which is pretty unforgivable.

Ja Rule disappeared in the documentary...what exactly was his part? I’ve seen it suggested he was “conned” as well but not sure how true that is?

There is a second doc that I managed to watch at the time for free (can't recall how). It differentiates in that it is based mainly on an interview with Chief Knobhead from prison (the Netflix one didn't feature him because they refused to pay him the fee - that he demanded, surprise, surprise - on principle)

https://www.hulu.com/movie/fyre-fraud-e47078f3-1c0e-49a8-9da9-c571a7a20fec

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Seen it a few times and it's just comical, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Genuinely believe that they thought it was possible to get everything in place, then progressively got worse.

Another i would recommend is Trainwreck - Woodstock 99 

37 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Surely.. SURELY.. nobody is going to fall for it this time? 

Festival full on influencers on freebies, can't think of anything worse.

People ABSOLUTELY will fall for it.

That con-merchant won't reimburse any of the poor labourers he totally shafted in Exuma. 

Just now, Jacko45 said:

People ABSOLUTELY will fall for it.

That con-merchant won't reimburse any of the poor labourers he totally shafted in Exuma. 

I'm surprised he's even allowed to do anything like this given his previous.  

• 4 months later...

"On Instagram on Tuesday, McFarland announced that the first round of tickets for the as yet unscheduled event have sold out"

It slightly annoys me paying deposit for Glastonbury tickets when I don't know the line up, even though every time I've been its brilliant and I know there are so many stages that even if I'm not excited about the big acts there will definitely be lots of good music I do like.

So to pay in advance for a festival you don't know the date of that is being organised by someone whose only previous experience of running a festival ended in disaster and with him going to prison blows my mind. 

Wonder if he genuinely has sold tickets or if that's just another lie from him to try to make the event seem more desirable.