Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
scaryclaireyfairy

Lost Horizon Festival by the Shangri-La team

Recommended Posts

As a member of the Lost Horizon crew I don't think this has anything to do with our sauna & solar stage set-up. Shangri-La seem to have nicked our name. Mind you, we in turn nicked the name from Frank Capra's 1937 film which was based on James Hilton's 1933 novel which featured the mythical mountain paradise of Shangri-La. So there's a certain symmetry to all this naming!

  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a vr headset so i think i'll give this a go.

Anyone here tried going to Glastonbury in Google Earth VR? I tried it, it's a very strange feeling. It's taken when the festival isn't on, but as you fly round the fields photosphere's pop up that you can go into and look round. It's pretty cool, if you have have a headset that has Google Earth VR I definitely recommend it, not just for Glastonbury but flying round the earth anywhere.

Would be much better if it could get that google earth overlay from a few years back that had 3d models of all the stages and everything. Whatever happened to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mazola said:

Would be much better if it could get that google earth overlay from a few years back that had 3d models of all the stages and everything. Whatever happened to that?

Ooh interesting, I know google changed the 3D mapping from user created models to lidar scanning. 
 

All the models were originally done in sketchup and were available for download for anyone with access to the 3DWarehouse. 
 

A lot of the building models from the old google earth have also been converted into assets for city building games. I’ve converted a few myself to use in Cities Skylines. 
 

Now I know that the festival had 3D models created for google I should be able to get hold of them and put them into the game. Think this takes care of some of my lockdown boredom 😁
 

Edit: The models do exist online. There’s an excellent Pyramid which may be too big for reproducing in the game and I’ve also found Shangri-La too. 

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/2f3c95ae-d368-4b11-97ed-be3ca0108f34/Glastonbury-Pyramid-Stage

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e0a65070cb004da4caa2683ef27c97cc/Shangri-La-Fields-Glastonbury-Festival-2008-site-plan-v1

 

Edited by squirrelarmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mark Doran said:

As a member of the Lost Horizon crew I don't think this has anything to do with our sauna & solar stage set-up. Shangri-La seem to have nicked our name. Mind you, we in turn nicked the name from Frank Capra's 1937 film which was based on James Hilton's 1933 novel which featured the mythical mountain paradise of Shangri-La. So there's a certain symmetry to all this naming!

How's Lost Horizon doing now? Is the lack of a festival season impacting things? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MrHew said:

How's Lost Horizon doing now? Is the lack of a festival season impacting things? 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mazola said:

I've got a vr headset so i think i'll give this a go.

Anyone here tried going to Glastonbury in Google Earth VR? I tried it, it's a very strange feeling. It's taken when the festival isn't on, but as you fly round the fields photosphere's pop up that you can go into and look round. It's pretty cool, if you have have a headset that has Google Earth VR I definitely recommend it, not just for Glastonbury but flying round the earth anywhere.

Would be much better if it could get that google earth overlay from a few years back that had 3d models of all the stages and everything. Whatever happened to that?

Any idea if Google Cardboard can do this?  I had a quick Google and couldn't find anything obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Any idea if Google Cardboard can do this?  I had a quick Google and couldn't find anything obvious.

I’m no expert at all but I am trying to learn about the tech as I see a place for it in my work.  
google cardboard is basic compared to what’s available now. It will all depend on how immersive they want to make it and how much freedom they plan in. I wouldn’t be surprised that you need something like the oculus quest headset.   It’s an amazing piece of kit for the money and would make the experience fantastic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I’m no expert at all but I am trying to learn about the tech as I see a place for it in my work.  
google cardboard is basic compared to what’s available now. It will all depend on how immersive they want to make it and how much freedom they plan in. I wouldn’t be surprised that you need something like the oculus quest headset.   It’s an amazing piece of kit for the money and would make the experience fantastic 

I'm very tempted by the Quest, but isn't it due a refresh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think cardboard is enough. I picked up a Lenovo wmr headset a couple of years ago when they were selling them off for about £100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 1:37 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm very tempted by the Quest, but isn't it due a refresh?

Apparently there is but it's been delayed until probably 2021. It look like it will be smaller and lighter with maybe an improved frame rate. 

All would be good improvements.

Its like any tech. we can keep waiting for the newer version or take the leap.

Honestly for personal use I might wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, scaryclaireyfairy said:
Anyone know anything?

announcement on Monday. Looks good if you do virtual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Time to invest in an oculus rift?

You can view on a PC or via a mobile app - or just watch it on Twitch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this looks excellent. Are we thinking the VR headset would be a worthwhile addition? I'm sure the kids would be delighted to keep using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the best way to send Bluetooth audio to multiple Bluetooth headsets at once from Windows 10  I.e. show the video of Lost Horizons on a screen in garden and let multiple people dance (2m apart obvs) without disturbing neighbors!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guessing I’m being hopeful in thinking I can download this on an iPhone and watch on a VR headset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Time to invest in an oculus rift?

Doesn't that have wires? I'm not sure if I fancy being tethered, even if the graphics will be better.

7 hours ago, Dukeicon said:

You can view on a PC or via a mobile app - or just watch it on Twitch.

 

Not as immersive.  

 

 

Shit 400-500 quid for a Quest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in the virtual festival world, Glastonbury and it’s teams working on it come up trumps compared to anyone else. This looks incredible and it seems like they’re incorporating some of the art into the VR world? Think this will be a taste of what we will be missing out on this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...