Open'er Festival 2021

gregory

8 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

I wonder if they would be able to save that mad combo of Foals - The Killers - The Cure - The Chemical Brothers on the same day.

It seems that they will be able to do it! Neither Chemical Brothers nor The Killers were announced as headliners, so we're still missing one big name. If not The Cure, maybe RHCP? That's the only name coming to my mind now.

I was certain about Foals, but it's pretty strange they still have not been confirmed. They already have so many other dates announced for 2021...

Edited by mln

7 hours ago, mln said:

It seems that they will be able to do it! Neither Chemical Brothers nor The Killers were announced as headliners, so we're still missing one big name. If not The Cure, maybe RHCP? That's the only name coming to my mind now.

I was certain about Foals, but it's pretty strange they still have not been confirmed. They already have so many other dates announced for 2021...

Noooo not RHCP. They were awful in 2016.

Assuming Taylor Swift isn't playing, who is her replacement?

2 minutes ago, rummy said:

Noooo not RHCP. They were awful in 2016.

Assuming Taylor Swift isn't playing, who is her replacement?

The only proper (regarding similar fanbase) and possible replacement I can think of now is Billie Eilish.

2 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I wouldn't mind RHCP to be honest. 

Yeah, with Frusciante I would take them as well. Also, their 2016 show at Open'er interfered with Poland - Portugal at the EURO 2016 which made it hard to fully focus on the show.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

A new interview with Open'er director was published yesterday: https://trojmiasto.wyborcza.pl/trojmiasto/7,35611,26532397,festiwalowe-lato-jest-mozliwe-mikolaj-ziolkowski-mamy-plan.html?fbclid=IwAR1YBIdFZBou7tryBN6vl7NnLmyic-hra85V5AXv1WTezWqjS55XQ10YOqM

According to him, Open'er 2021 is definitely going to happen and there are 3 possible scenarios:

1) Normal festival with increased hygiene measures.

2) Festival is on, but there are special requirements connected to the vaccine and rapid testing (it was quite vague, but probably the point is that participants would be required to be vaccinated or perform a test before the festival).

3) Festival is on, but not in the standard form - once again, quite vague, but one could imagine it involves a situation where there are only Polish/European participants and artists - this is the least probable scenario.

Two other interesting pieces:

1. European festivals are in close cooperation regarding the 2021 season in order to develop a common set of practices.

2. 90% of artists (probably it applies to the ones with tours in 2020) are going to come back in 2021.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mln said:

A new interview with Open'er director was published yesterday: https://trojmiasto.wyborcza.pl/trojmiasto/7,35611,26532397,festiwalowe-lato-jest-mozliwe-mikolaj-ziolkowski-mamy-plan.html?fbclid=IwAR1YBIdFZBou7tryBN6vl7NnLmyic-hra85V5AXv1WTezWqjS55XQ10YOqM

According to him, Open'er 2021 is definitely going to happen and there are 3 possible scenarios:

1) Normal festival with increased hygiene measures.

2) Festival is on, but there are special requirements connected to the vaccine and rapid testing (it was quite vague, but probably the point is that participants would be required to be vaccinated or perform a test before the festival).

3) Festival is on, but not in the standard form - once again, quite vague, but one could imagine it involves a situation where there are only Polish/European participants and artists - this is the least probable scenario.

Two other interesting pieces:

1. European festivals are in close cooperation regarding the 2021 season in order to develop a common set of practices.

2. 90% of artists (probably it applies to the ones with tours in 2020) are going to come back in 2021.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't understand 1)

The festival involves a lot of very close contact over 3 days in tents, stages etc. Social distancing won't be possible nor masks. So that leaves washing your hands a lot and disinfecting spaces - but this won't make much of a difference, if any, to transmission rates. And there will be a risk of transmission 

So that leaves 2) or 3)

I think 3) is more likely than he's admitting to. 'At the moment' tours from North American acts are on...

Edited by xxialac

23 hours ago, xxialac said:

The festival involves a lot of very close contact over 3 days in tents, stages etc. Social distancing won't be possible nor masks. So that leaves washing your hands a lot and disinfecting spaces - but this won't make much of a difference, if any, to transmission rates. And there will be a risk of transmission 

Not sure, but what about masks in indoor spaces? Do you think that won't be possible? Also, having a lot of disinfecting spaces may serve as a "we do everything we can to provide as safe environment as possible" purposes.

Anyway, our Minister of Health told today that he thinks we'll be back to normal late spring / early summer.

Just now, mln said:

Not sure, but what about masks in indoor spaces? Do you think that won't be possible? Also, having a lot of disinfecting spaces may serve as a "we do everything we can to provide as safe environment as possible" purposes.

Anyway, our Minister of Health told today that he thinks we'll be back to normal late spring / early summer.

Yes, you're quite right about masks indoors but that's a given. 

Open'er is an outdoors festival so again this is not really a meaningful measure.

What really matters is mass vaccination (which the festival can't control) + some degree of testing (which the festival can).

I'm still optimistic. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Open'er is an outdoors festival so again this is not really a meaningful measure.

Yes, it is, but there are a lot of indoor spaces in the festival area, like Silent Disco, Fashion Stage, all branded spaces with some activities (e.g. Heineken area). I'm not saying masks will be required, but just trying to guess what these increased hygiene measures could mean.

There are festival buses runing from the main train station to the festival area, and they were always packed – maybe some restrictions in number of people?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Very good point on the buses and indoor spaces.

You're completely right. I think it's very likely to have maskwearing for those and number restrictions.

All in all, I'm becoming more and more confident it will happen with the scenario no. 1 in place :)

12 minutes ago, misterplow said:

If Opener maneges to catch both The Cure and WOD, they'll be a strong contender for lineup of the year for me. 

Possibly some news this or next week, so let's see!

Edited by mln

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, gingerevans84 said:

Still going for July but have a plan B if I read that statement correctly? Seems like a final decision in a few weeks?

That's correct. However, it sounds like this plan B is becoming more and more probable. All depends on the rate of vaccination. Also, they cooperate with other European festivals - fits what Ken wrote earlier today in RW thread. 

• 2 months later...

Open'er postponed to 2022. First names confirmed are twenty one pilots, Michael Kiwanuka, Destroyer, BADBADNOTGOOD, and Seasick Steve.

This year, there will be a series of smaller events in Gdynia. More info soon.