Covid-19 & Glastonbury 2021

shapebuster

I was one of those on the early-ish side of doommongering for this year's festival being cancelled, but I'm pretty bullish for next year.

Look, there are loads vaccines in the works, lots of them look promising and several of them are expected to be ready this year. And once one of them is proven to be good, there will be so much weight thrown behind getting it manufactured at real, real scale. We don't even all need to be vaccinated for the festival to go ahead, just around 80% immunity, either by the virus or by vaccine.

I know the governments of the world can't base their plans around a Deus ex Machina turning up and fixing everything, because it might not happen. But it really looks like it will. It does.

The human genome project was initially a very long multi-year affair, until Celera Genomics came along and did it for a tenth of the cost faster than the rest of the world, sequencing the human genome in just three years. Nobody could believe it could be done so fast and so cheaply, for $300m  and now we can sequence a genome for $3,000 to $5000 in just one to two days.

The political will and financing to develop vaccines fast hasn't been there for years, but the technology has moved on so much since there was last an urgent need in the wealthy countries. The human race is capable of extraordinary things when its back is against the wall.

What I'm saying is, I've been drinking and I'm going to Glastonbury next year, and so are all you lovely people on here.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Are they planning on celebrating the 50th next year? Or will it just be a “normal” glasto. 

My initial thought is that it will be an extra special 51st type thing and everything they prepared will be carried over and changed slightly as a delayed birthday party? I probably sound barking mad. 

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Are they planning on celebrating the 50th next year? Or will it just be a “normal” glasto. 

Apologies......what is this 'normal Glasto' of which you speak? 

I'd guess there will be some reference but not what was planned had it been this year.  It's an opportunity to spin it as a great new coming together though, a re-birth even, a celebration but with due respect....and if there's ever been a year to highlight and celebrate the work of our NHS then 2021 is it.

31 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Apologies......what is this 'normal Glasto' of which you speak? 

I'd guess there will be some reference but not what was planned had it been this year.  It's an opportunity to spin it as a great new coming together though, a re-birth even, a celebration but with due respect....and if there's ever been a year to highlight and celebrate the work of our NHS then 2021 is it.

I'm hoping this! And then hoping NHS workers will get access to the booking page 5 mins to 9!! 

Please!! I need tickets! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

The history makes it it easy enough to fudge it anyway.

This year would have been the 50th anniversary of the first event held at Worthy Farm.

Next year will be the 50th anniversary of the first even actually called "Glastonbury".

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What I'm saying is, I've been drinking and I'm going to Glastonbury next year, and so are all you lovely people on here.

I’ve been drinking all afternoon as well, lying in the sun in the company of Taylor swift, Sam fender, Frank Turner and Skinny Lister. Dreaming of next summer

great post, I think I love you.