2021 Stage Predictions: Early birds with a cheat sheet this time!

Matt42

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s no way Harry Styles is getting anywhere near the top reaches of the Pyramid.

Earlier in the day perhaps, but to huge swathes of the general GF punters he’s just the guy from 1D who went out with Caroline Flack. He’s not going to get prime real estate.

Think you’re underselling him a bit here. He’s huge and has had a string of a few pretty shit hot singles from this new album that are well known to anybody that listens to any of the more mainstream radio stations.

I still think third down Pyramid seems the reasonable position for him. Plenty of huge pop acts (many of whom have been ‘big enough’ to sub) have played that position in the past and if he wants to play I don’t see him being a diva about getting that placement. 

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think you’re underselling him a bit here. He’s huge and has had a string of a few pretty shit hot singles from this new album that are well known to anybody that listens to any of the more mainstream radio stations.

I still think third down Pyramid seems the reasonable position for him. Plenty of huge pop acts (many of whom have been ‘big enough’ to sub) have played that position in the past and if he wants to play I don’t see him being a diva about getting that placement. 

Is he huge? Honest question, I freely admit I’m not exactly up to speed in terms of who the kids love these days but I can’t say he’s been on my radar in any way.

I suppose Katy/Miley/Janet all played third down. Is that about his level then?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is he huge? Honest question, I freely admit I’m not exactly up to speed in terms of who the kids love these days but I can’t say he’s been on my radar in any way.

I suppose Katy/Miley/Janet all played third down. Is that about his level then?

Yeah all of the singles from his new album have been big his and have even scored him a number one single in America (not that that matters here - just an indicator of how big he's gotten). 

Yeah those were the kinds of acts I was thinking about - all big big names, but they were never gonna sub. Same deal here imo.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah all of the singles from his new album have been big his and have even scored him a number one single in America (not that that matters here - just an indicator of how big he's gotten). 

Yeah those were the kinds of acts I was thinking about - all big big names, but they were never gonna sub. Same deal here imo.

When you put it like that I’m inclined to agree.

Harry Styles seems perfect for 3rd down on a Sunday. He would be a waste of a sub otherwise, in the sense that you could squeeze another big name on there if he was 3rd down.

I really like the idea of TWOD on before Macca.

Edited by jparx

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Hello everyone. Thought it was a good time to resurrect this!

Queens of The Stone Age subbing Kendrick

Harry Styles subbing Paul McCartney

Alicia Keys subbing Taylor Swift

Other headliners the same - but Idles subbing Pet Shop Boys instead of Robyn.

war on drugs after Diana on the pyramid.

Where I couldn’t place some artists I’ve gone A-Z (alphabetical).

E36189D8-4C0F-4D84-A7FA-E1047B410AA1.png

I love it and I don't know if Run The Jewels are around or not but putting them before QOTSA would be amazing. 

RTJ - QOTSA - Kendrick. 

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m surprised this kinda went under the radar but @WhoOdysseyshared that Glastonbury asked one of the R&L headliners to play.

Which is why I’m thinking QOTSA could be around to fill in a missing slot.

I don't think I said it was a headliner? If so, apologies but it's just an act fairly low down on the R&L 2020 lineup 

(Who goes by the name KSI)

Edited by WhoOdyssey

So I’ve been thinking whether this deserves its own thread or whether it could just go here - but I think it’s worthwhile now looking at potential vacant slots that need filling for artists that might not return in 2021.

I was trying to think of what to call them. Empties? Holes for a filling? Who knows.

What I realised is there’s a chance the Friday Pyramid could be getting a bit of a butchering. However that means there’s an exciting prospect of some new bookings

Friday

- Pyramid Sub: Not seen any evidence yet Lana is coming back, she could be waiting to announce dates though. It would be great to see Lana back but if she isn’t going to reschedule I’d like to see who else they could get. She’s not back at Prim though, but Kendrick isn’t back at some of his 2020 dates so it’s open.

- 4th & 5th down Pyramid: Elbow will probably be back third down. I don’t see much evidence that Camila and Kacey are back on the road yet. Potential replacements could be Doja Cat / Megan Thee Stallion? Both are pretty big but are accepting moderate slots at festivals so I think there’s a chance. I have this weird hunch though that they might move Mabel up to 5th if they can. She’s relatively big and is prime pyramid fodder.

I don’t think we have any other indication that some big Friday acts on other stages won’t be coming back. I think there’s a chance the Other stage could remain exactly the same.

Saturday

- Pyramid Sub: Noel has indicated he won’t be rescheduling festival shows so we could be looking for a new Saturday sub. As before I’d love to see who they could rope in here. As Emily said they were already talking to some acts for 2021, so they might already have an option lined up for this.

The rest of the Saturday pyramid will probably be the same. Aerosmith, HAIM, Crowded House etc.

I think we thought Saturday other was Dua Lipa subbed by AJ Tracey right? I can’t see that changing. I’d bet bottom dollar both acts will be back.

Sunday

Pyramid
This is the most interesting one. I think we didn’t have a clue what the running order of the Sunday was looking like other than Taylor headlining, Diana in legends, and The Specials playing somewhere.

How we think it looked...

Taylor Swift 
(???)
(???) The Specials?
Diana Ross
(???) The Specials?

The Specials could really slot anywhere in there - but either way there was a missing sub on the Sunday and there’s potentially room for two new acts to slot in.

I had two predictions for who this might be - one slightly realistic, one more optimistic.

Slightly realistic - Alicia Keys. She hinted about being in the frame and her dates matched up. Potentially left off the poster as she was an American act unsure she’d be able to make it over due to the emerging pandemic.

Optimistic - Billie Eilish. An act on the cusp of headlining herself, but if they got her to sign the dotted line the second she walked off stage in 2019, they might have pulled off a spectacular investment- who knows! She continued to get bigger and bigger between the 2019 festival and present, maybe they got her signed up before she became a headliner or nothing deal for other commercial festivals?

From what we’ve heard though - Billie did the same thing as Kendrick. Cancelled her tour and is rebooking it when the coast is clearer. She might have agreed to sub in the past, but I doubt she’d return to sub now. Emily will want her to headline and I reckon she’s only a year off being genuinely in the frame to do it. Maybe she’l hold off till 2022 as it looks like she has an album ready to go for 2021 and will still be promoting that.

Other 
Not sure Robyn is touring 2021. Not seen any evidence of it, and she would have been touring her current album for quite a while now if she came back. Idles have hinted being at the festival so my guess is Idles are covering her slot (underneath Pet Shop Boys).

If theres anything I’ve missed let me know - but that’s my Crystal ball and how I see things. They might push some artists already on the lineup up to these missing slots - but I doubt they will not go to market with them at all, especially if they had some artists in mind for 2021 anyway.

Who could be about to book: Lizzo, Megan Thee Stallion, Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, Queens of the Stone Age, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Gorillaz, Wolf Alice, The National, Foals, Royal Blood, The War on Drugs, Harry Styles (maybe), Tyler the Creator. A$AP ROCKY, Michael Kiwanuka, Jorja Smith, Beck - are all about and could easily slot in to some of the above positions I’ve mentioned.

What do you think?

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

So I’ve been thinking whether this deserves its own thread or whether it could just go here - but I think it’s worthwhile now looking at potential vacant slots that need filling for artists that might not return in 2021.

I was trying to think of what to call them. Empties? Holes for a filling? Who knows.

What I realised is there’s a chance the Friday Pyramid could be getting a bit of a butchering. However that means there’s an exciting prospect of some new bookings

Friday

- Pyramid Sub: Not seen any evidence yet Lana is coming back, she could be waiting to announce dates though. It would be great to see Lana back but if she isn’t going to reschedule I’d like to see who else they could get. She’s not back at Prim though, but Kendrick isn’t back at some of his 2020 dates so it’s open.

- 4th & 5th down Pyramid: Elbow will probably be back third down. I don’t see much evidence that Camila and Kacey are back on the road yet. Potential replacements could be Doja Cat / Megan Thee Stallion? Both are pretty big but are accepting moderate slots at festivals so I think there’s a chance. I have this weird hunch though that they might move Mabel up to 5th if they can. She’s relatively big and is prime pyramid fodder.

I don’t think we have any other indication that some big Friday acts on other stages won’t be coming back. I think there’s a chance the Other stage could remain exactly the same.

Saturday

- Pyramid Sub: Noel has indicated he won’t be rescheduling festival shows so we could be looking for a new Saturday sub. As before I’d love to see who they could rope in here. As Emily said they were already talking to some acts for 2021, so they might already have an option lined up for this.

The rest of the Saturday pyramid will probably be the same. Aerosmith, HAIM, Crowded House etc.

I think we thought Saturday other was Dua Lipa subbed by AJ Tracey right? I can’t see that changing. I’d bet bottom dollar both acts will be back.

Sunday

Pyramid
This is the most interesting one. I think we didn’t have a clue what the running order of the Sunday was looking like other than Taylor headlining, Diana in legends, and The Specials playing somewhere.

How we think it looked...

Taylor Swift 
(???)
(???) The Specials?
Diana Ross
(???) The Specials?

The Specials could really slot anywhere in there - but either way there was a missing sub on the Sunday and there’s potentially room for two new acts to slot in.

I had two predictions for who this might be - one slightly realistic, one more optimistic.

Slightly realistic - Alicia Keys. She hinted about being in the frame and her dates matched up. Potentially left off the poster as she was an American act unsure she’d be able to make it over due to the emerging pandemic.

Optimistic - Billie Eilish. An act on the cusp of headlining herself, but if they got her to sign the dotted line the second she walked off stage in 2019, they might have pulled off a spectacular investment- who knows! She continued to get bigger and bigger between the 2019 festival and present, maybe they got her signed up before she became a headliner or nothing deal for other commercial festivals?

From what we’ve heard though - Billie did the same thing as Kendrick. Cancelled her tour and is rebooking it when the coast is clearer. She might have agreed to sub in the past, but I doubt she’d return to sub now. Emily will want her to headline and I reckon she’s only a year off being genuinely in the frame to do it. Maybe she’l hold off till 2022 as it looks like she has an album ready to go for 2021 and will still be promoting that.

Other 
Not sure Robyn is touring 2021. Not seen any evidence of it, and she would have been touring her current album for quite a while now if she came back. Idles have hinted being at the festival so my guess is Idles are covering her slot (underneath Pet Shop Boys).

If theres anything I’ve missed let me know - but that’s my Crystal ball and how I see things. They might push some artists already on the lineup up to these missing slots - but I doubt they will not go to market with them at all, especially if they had some artists in mind for 2021 anyway.

Who could be about to book: Lizzo, Megan Thee Stallion, Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, Queens of the Stone Age, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Gorillaz, Wolf Alice, The National, Foals, Royal Blood, The War on Drugs, Harry Styles (maybe), Tyler the Creator. A$AP ROCKY, Michael Kiwanuka, Jorja Smith, Beck - are all about and could easily slot in to some of the above positions I’ve mentioned.

What do you think?

Good effort out in to write that mate.

Friday other was Fatboy, Supergrass, AJ Tracey though

59 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Is Tyler the Creator a good bet to be there next year. I'm taking my eldest son with me, and it will be his first Glastonbury. He is a massive Tyler the creator fan.

In the area but some reliable spiller in the euro threads says he’s only accepting headliner slots.

Then again that was for 2020 festivals so maybe something has changed?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In the area but some reliable spiller in the euro threads says he’s only accepting headliner slots.

Then again that was for 2020 festivals so maybe something has changed?

Glastonbury has headlining slots galore! If he’d take a lesser stage than the pyramid say the other, which in turn is still a bigger slot than many other main stage festivals. Plus TV coverage 

that may persuade him! 

1 hour ago, drunk pumpkin said:

Glastonbury has headlining slots galore! If he’d take a lesser stage than the pyramid say the other, which in turn is still a bigger slot than many other main stage festivals. Plus TV coverage 

that may persuade him! 

Mainstage headlining slots.* wants to be top of the bill.

Edited by Matt42

Notable placements.

Friday

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar // Lizzo // Elbow // Doja Cat // Rufus Wainwright 

Other: Fatboy Slim // Supergrass // AJ Tracey

West Holts: Thom Yorke TMB

John Peel: Editors

Park: Caribou

Saturday

Pyramid: Paul McCartney // Harry Styles // Aerosmith // HAIM // Crowded House // 

Other: Gorillaz // Charli XCX // Megan Thee Stallion

West Holts: The Isley Brothers 

John Peel: FKA TWIGS

Park: Manic Street Preachers

Sunday

Pyramid: Dua Lipa // Alicia Keys // The War on Drugs // Diana Ross // The Specials 

Other: Pet Shop Boys // Idles // Sam Fender

West Holts: KANO

John Peel: Primal Scream

Park: Big Thief

Edited by Matt42