2021 Stage Predictions: Early birds with a cheat sheet this time!

Matt42

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

There’s definite pros and cons to both scenarios as @FloorFiller has mentioned. 

Pyramid is obviously the holy grail of festivals, but being able to say you’ve headlined a stage at Glasto is also a big draw.

The crowd could be bigger on The Pyramid, which could go either way. Either a load of disinterested folk or you could do a Tame Impala and win over new fans. 

I think where you judge your ceiling to be is a big factor. 

Dua Lipa is on a massive upward trajectory and future headliner, so sub now would seem the better choice. 

But for acts like your Jake Buggs (shudder), Other headliner was the pinnacle. 

I think in terms of "prestige", Pyramid sub takes it with the bigger crowd, better TV coverage and the iconic stage. Artists who headline the Other will probably be headlining festivals like Mad Cool, NOS etc. and the stage and show is largely the same. The Pyramid is a one off. That doesn't mean it's the better slot though - Other headliners are almost always a better show and they may be a more satisfying slot for the artist.

You reference acts reaching their pinnacle on the Other - I wonder though how many of the gen pub know about Jake Bugg's set, or LCD's for example. I remember with LCD, for example, being surprised at the lack of coverage after the show given how amazing it was. That slot is better if you're a big fan of the act, but it can get drowned out when it comes to mainstream publicity. 

If you're talking "prestige" specifically, it's the Pyramid Sub all day long. The better slot is almost always the Other given you're playing more to your own fans and there's a huge risk factor with subbing the Pyramid.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Unless you have info good sir that all three other headliners have rolled over then I will accept that :P 

I don't have any info.

But I do know that at-least one of them will be female, so your suggestion couldn't happen.

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I'd agree with this, especially the last part.

Every now and again, the Pyramid sub is a miracle. The XX got it bang-on in 2017. Nick Cave upstaged Mumford in 2013. Dizzee Rascal in 2010 was a perfect coronation for him. Flaming Lips before Radiohead in 2003 was probably their best ever set. If you own it, you own it.

But the mismatches are just as common: The National fell so short of their potential in 2017 that it's become eFests lore. Pendulum felt so embarrassed by the over-exposure of the slot before Beyoncé that they broke up. Morrissey and Beck drowned in the rain in 2011 and 2016 respectively (and Beck didn't help himself by repeatedly referring to a distant crowd – don't admit to it!)

You need a rub of luck with the booking being complementary to the headliner, and the crowd to be in the right mood too.

Other headline slots can be magic (NIN, Chemicals, LCD) but you are preaching to the choir to an extent.

Absolutely. There's not a huge chance of winning people over when you smash it as an Other headliner.

I only saw Foals from the back of the field. I don't mind them but they're not an act I choose to listen to, but they did have a big crowd that seemed pretty engaged.

Only saw the last couple of tracks from Tame Impala after being all teary eyed at Art Garf, but yeah they smashed it. Most of the times I've seen TI have been at festivals in supporting slots and they always smash it. Plenty of bangers, confetti cannons and the like.

26 minutes ago, UEF said:

Wait, the Manics were on at the same time as McCartney? Are you fucking kidding me?

Don’t think it was ever confirmed whether they were playing the Friday or the Saturday, or at least not that I remember. Had always assumed they were on the Friday myself.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I won't be happy until I see her popping up on European festival lineups for next year. 

When I was looking at what acts from this year had been rebooked for other festivals next year I noticed that Bergenfest, which she was booked for and is the week before Glastonbury next year, put out a statement saying that all but four of their acts had agreed to return and the other four were trying to sort out their plans. I wasn't really expecting Robyn to be back as she seems to have been touring for a while but based on that the chances seem quite good. 

23 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

When I was looking at what acts from this year had been rebooked for other festivals next year I noticed that Bergenfest, which she was booked for and is the week before Glastonbury next year, put out a statement saying that all but four of their acts had agreed to return and the other four were trying to sort out their plans. I wasn't really expecting Robyn to be back as she seems to have been touring for a while but based on that the chances seem quite good. 

Yeah I mean she could of had new material ready for this summer. Her last album was out in 2018. Something new could have been in the works that would probably be out by 2021.

14 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I doubt Kasabian would headline again specially in 2021 where the options will be huge. 

I don’t think the options will be huge but I agree Kasabian won’t headline again.

I think they are a front runner in the list of past headliners that could eventually end up headlining the other stage.