2021 Stage Predictions: Early birds with a cheat sheet this time!

Matt42

1 hour ago, incident said:

"society didn’t suddenly consider them racist 3/4 years ago" no, but what did change around then is that his statements became so overt that after years of making excuses for him and trying to convince themselves that he was being misinterpreted and falsely accused, his fans finally started to accept the truth.

Erm this is a bit of a reach

In 2011 we didn’t have Farage, Brexit and the other shite that emboldened twats with these views to be more open with them. Morrissey May well have had these opinions all his life but it’s only the last few years where he started to make them more public. Previously people were unaware as it wasn’t being reported.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Considering Gorillaz aren’t taking a headline spot at Primavera I guess it bodes well for them being an other stage contender?

Move Dua to pyramid sub and Gorillaz headlining other?

I’m surprised they’re not the first name for their day but they’re still a headliner, Primavera almost always has two or three headliners each day.

I think they would want to keep Dua Lipa to ensure there’s at least one woman headlining Other. To be honest I think Gorillaz headlining one or two other festivals and maybe a secret set at Glastonbury seems more likely.

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I’m surprised they’re not the first name for their day but they’re still a headliner, Primavera almost always has two or three headliners each day.

I think they would want to keep Dua Lipa to ensure there’s at least one woman headlining Other. To be honest I think Gorillaz headlining one or two other festivals and maybe a secret set at Glastonbury seems more likely.

It's the idea of Gorillaz as a sub a bit crazy? I think they are not that big anymore as they used to be. 

Edited by AlexOvd

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

No way are Gorillaz subbing either the Pyramid or Other imo. If they're playing then Other headliner is the only realistic place I could see them fitting outside of a secret set somewhere.

I could actually see them subbing Kendrick. They have a nice mixture of styles that would flow nicely into a hip hop headliner.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I could actually see them subbing Kendrick. They have a nice mixture of styles that would flow nicely into a hip hop headliner.

I was more thinking due to their large stage production, but then do they even have all that much stage production anymore or is it essentially just the band on the stage these days? 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I was more thinking due to their large stage production, but then do they even have all that much stage production anymore or is it essentially just the band on the stage these days? 

They were co-headlining Rock Am Ring on 2018 in Germany (in the second stage - by the way, Foos on the main) and honestly the stage production was very basic, nothing crazy at all.

Tbh I'm not sure I could put myself through having to watch Damon beg the crowd to participate in another Gorillaz set on the Pyramid. Not sure it'd go down any better than 2010 - they've not exactly had any hits since then, and would now be playing to a crowd waiting for Kendrick (we hope).

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh I'm not sure I could put myself through having to watch Damon beg the crowd to participate in another Gorillaz set on the Pyramid. Not sure it'd go down any better than 2010 - they've not exactly had any hits since then, and would now be playing to a crowd waiting for Kendrick (we hope).

I think if they have to sub someone, this has to be Kendrick. The people would be waiting yes, but they would match and the atmosphere would be very nice.

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ve seen them put on a great show at Brixton Academy so massive staging requirements shouldn’t be too much of a concern. It’s mainly band plus guests these days.

Edited by Hugh Jass

21 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Considering Gorillaz aren’t taking a headline spot at Primavera I guess it bodes well for them being an other stage contender?

Move Dua to pyramid sub and Gorillaz headlining other?

if they move Dua from Other they'll be needing to find another female headliner for Other.

No offence to the  OP but the initial suggestion of the 1975, Macca and AM is just so much weaker than what we were promised this year. A huge Taylor shaped hole there, I really hope she comes back. If Gaga reschedules her European dates then I hope she'd take Swifty's slot.

2 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

No offence to the  OP but the initial suggestion of the 1975, Macca and AM is just so much weaker than what we were promised this year. A huge Taylor shaped hole there, I really hope she comes back. If Gaga reschedules her European dates then I hope she'd take Swifty's slot.

:( no offenz

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What’s more prestigious do you think?

Sub The Pyramid or headline The Other? 

I'd go with Pyramid sub personally, but can see the ups/downs in both. The Pyramid is THE stage, the big one, and being on before a headliner guarantees you a huge audience. The downside is that audience may be completely disinterested in you (not a problem Dua would face mind). 

Headlining Other means you lose out on a ton of potential audience due to clashing with a Pyramid headliner, which is especially shit when that headliner is Macca who is a huge draw. But then you also get to headline your own stage and bring your full production, and play to an audience who you know is there for you and to have a good time.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Subbing the Pyramid, surely?

There’s definite pros and cons to both scenarios as @FloorFiller has mentioned. 

Pyramid is obviously the holy grail of festivals, but being able to say you’ve headlined a stage at Glasto is also a big draw.

The crowd could be bigger on The Pyramid, which could go either way. Either a load of disinterested folk or you could do a Tame Impala and win over new fans. 

I think where you judge your ceiling to be is a big factor. 

Dua Lipa is on a massive upward trajectory and future headliner, so sub now would seem the better choice. 

But for acts like your Jake Buggs (shudder), Other headliner was the pinnacle. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Pyramid sub suggests you're a potential headliner one day, Other headliner suggests that's your level. 

Usually yeah this is the case - very few acts headline Other and then go on to headline the Pyramid. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any. Don't think that's the case with Dua Lipa though who is obviously an unusual Other headliner compared to what we usually get, and she could easily still rise up to headline the whole thing, or at worst come back to sub the Pyramid one day.