BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If  - for whatever reason - the deal with the Beeb goes Pete Tong then Channel 4 are about the only other people I'd trust with it.

There used to be this thing called Music Television decades ago that showed nothing but music videos and gig footage. They even had separate channels for genres. Too bad it doesn’t exist anymore.

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There used to be this thing called Music Television decades ago that showed nothing but music videos and gig footage. They even had separate channels for genres. Too bad it doesn’t exist anymore.

And before even Ch4 began covering it in '94, MTV used to report from it sometimes and cover the odd live bit.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If  - for whatever reason - the deal with the Beeb goes Pete Tong then Channel 4 are about the only other people I'd trust with it.

While I do tend to agree, their 4OD app is such a crock of shit I’d prefer to never have to go near it 

Edited by Mouseboy11

Looking at Twitter today about the BBC I don't hold out much hope for the NHS when the time comes although there may be opportunities for money in offering subscription services to the iPlayer for people abroad. It seems that people the globe over appreciate just how remarkable the BBC is but those who live here and have just always had it don't understand that it is actually one of the few instances of British exceptionalism. 

Don't get me wrong it's not without its flaws but as an organisation with the breadth and depth of stuff they have to cover they do a pretty bang up job. Even all those complaining about it would be forced to confess they use it more than they thought if it did go subscription only for it's tv, radio and website content. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Looking at Twitter today about the BBC I don't hold out much hope for the NHS when the time comes although there may be opportunities for money in offering subscription services to the iPlayer for people abroad. It seems that people the globe over appreciate just how remarkable the BBC is but those who live here and have just always had it don't understand that it is actually one of the few instances of British exceptionalism. 

Don't get me wrong it's not without its flaws but as an organisation with the breadth and depth of stuff they have to cover they do a pretty bang up job. Even all those complaining about it would be forced to confess they use it more than they thought if it did go subscription only for it's tv, radio and website content. 

That bit is just a no-brainer, surely. Would generate so much income. 

I suppose the reason it hasn't is current deals in place for selling stuff to other countries. 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

That bit is just a no-brainer, surely. Would generate so much income. 

I suppose the reason it hasn't is current deals in place for selling stuff to other countries. 

Yes I have been reading up about it and the difficulty is that the BBC themselves don't actually produce everything so there is all sort of licensing issues when you go international. If they know it is coming they could perhaps change their model to allow for this. TBH we just have to hope by the time it comes around these tory muppets are gone and whoever replaces them isn't so idiotic. 

They should also consider iPlayer subscription in the UK for people who don't have a TV license. One thing that puts me off getting a TV license is that it is a year long commitment. If I could pay on a per month basis, I'd be more inclined to sign up for the Glastonbury coverage and the Olympics when they come round. I don't need it for the rest of the year when it's Eastenders and Mrs Brown's boys.

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does anyone actually like this crap ? That’s prepared to own up to it ? 😀

A former housemate of mine. But he watched some proper shite.

Couple of years ago I saw an older couple on a flight pull out a portable DVD player and put on the Mrs Browns Boys live show. They didn't laugh once through the entire thing. Which, to be fair, would've been my reaction too. But then I wouldn't have chosen to watch it. Was very odd.

50 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I have been reading up about it and the difficulty is that the BBC themselves don't actually produce everything so there is all sort of licensing issues when you go international. If they know it is coming they could perhaps change their model to allow for this. TBH we just have to hope by the time it comes around these tory muppets are gone and whoever replaces them isn't so idiotic. 

Ah, yes. Of course. Was aware of that but didn't register as the issue. 

39 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

They should also consider iPlayer subscription in the UK for people who don't have a TV license. One thing that puts me off getting a TV license is that it is a year long commitment. If I could pay on a per month basis, I'd be more inclined to sign up for the Glastonbury coverage and the Olympics when they come round. I don't need it for the rest of the year when it's Eastenders and Mrs Brown's boys.

Yeah I’ve been cordcutting for a while but got a license for the first time in years for the Euros. I’ve only watched Toast of Tinseltown on it since. Right waste.

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

But it is enormously and inexplicably popular.

Having never made it through even one episode, one thing that annoys me about it is they made a cinema version of it, and called it "Mrs Browns Boys D'movie" when it really should have been "d'Fillum." 

On 1/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, crazyfool1 said:

MrsBrown?
It is truly god awful. Pre rehearsed ad libs and repetitive un funny jokes.  Produced and recorded in Scotland as well, probably because the Irish realise it’s a pile of shite.  Bizarre that they continue to make such rubbish.  

On 1/18/2022 at 3:44 PM, maelzoid said:

But it is enormously and inexplicably popular.

Yea so we're told, bit like radio 2's Steve Wright in the afternoon show and now I think of it the never ending Dr fukkin  Who. All "hugely popular" but who knows anyone that's right in to any of this shite? Conspiracy to fill expensive air and screen time up?

On 1/18/2022 at 2:53 PM, maelzoid said:

I’d also do this. I’m not interested in watching 99.9% of stuff on broadcast tv. The occasional sports tournament gets my interest. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’d also do this. I’m not interested in watching 99.9% of stuff on broadcast tv. The occasional sports tournament gets my interest. 

If they keep BBC as a public broadcasting service then subscription is miles away, according to some experts on the radio the other day. We just do not have the set up to deliver.