BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

On 8/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, DJL said:

Semi-related but has anyone ever come across a decent quality live video of Daft Punk Alive?

I was going to post up my own '2 pointless minutes from a low quality digital camera' footage from their Wireless festival show, but in a moment of clarity realised it probably wouldn't be that funny.  But as luck would have it, this one has just popped up on my YouTube recommendations, which I haven't seen before and seems to be a lot better quality than the ones that have been on there for years, even though it uses some of the same footage:

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, fatyeti24 said:

The 2006/7 tour was never recorded professionally, deliberately so, but there are fan made ones online.

Actually  the Coachella 2006 performance was filmed and they were planning on releasing it, but then after the first fan made video came about they chise to leave it at that. Its not as if the footage doesnt exist, theres a nice chunk in the newer Coachella movie. And yeah, there is a full broadcast of Wireless 07, but we would have to break into the BBC archives to steal the rest.

And I have a full set I filmed from 07 in Berkeley but was never able to upload it because Youtube wouldnt allow long videos at the time. And when that did become an option they would get blocked cause of copyright. So yeah, the video above is good enough since the Coachella one disappeared from youtube a few months ago. The person who even had all that footage sat on it for 13 years. Lots of people sent in footage on the promise that this was going to come above much sooner than 2020.

But other than that i just put on the live cd and remember the 4 times I saw them in 06/07, thats enough. Or go through my photos. Glad phones didnt take good pics back then cause you could really enjoy a show like that.

60641385-1AC5-42FF-A0C2-4CAB493F3FCA.jpeg

• Upvote 1

To my surprise I keep coming back to The Cure's 2019 set.

I never really got The Cure, I'm still not sure I do. I've never really had much exposure to goth culture let alone goth music (I feel daft even saying that), closest I got was emo I suppose?

But holy balls do they sound INCREDIBLE during that set! Rob's voice is just sublime, everything is so tight, gobsmacked and mesmerised every time I watch and listen.

Another specific moment I keep returning to is the first drop in Groove Armada Superstylin 2010. When the camera pans to the crowd all dancing it gets to me quite emotional. Good wholesome fun with friends, I'm sure I'm not the only one missing that this year.

I'm going through all the glasto BBC montages of the years I've been (gotta keep a playlist handy for when the wine glass comes out) how mental is it that Dizzee Rascal sountracked 2 in a row? Did anyone ever tout him to headline? Don't get me wrong it'll never happen but they clearly fuckin love that guy. 

It's a tie between 2010 and 14 for best montages for me.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:10 PM, alien said:

To my surprise I keep coming back to The Cure's 2019 set.

I never really got The Cure, I'm still not sure I do. I've never really had much exposure to goth culture let alone goth music (I feel daft even saying that), closest I got was emo I suppose?

But holy balls do they sound INCREDIBLE during that set! Rob's voice is just sublime, everything is so tight, gobsmacked and mesmerised every time I watch and listen.

Another specific moment I keep returning to is the first drop in Groove Armada Superstylin 2010. When the camera pans to the crowd all dancing it gets to me quite emotional. Good wholesome fun with friends, I'm sure I'm not the only one missing that this year.

Don't torture me! The first Glasto ticket I missed out on since 2011 & my ultimate most wanted act headlined! Watched it at home & burst into tears when they started with Plainsong (& I'm not usually an emotional man). Still gutted over a year later!

7 hours ago, priest17 said:

I'm going through all the glasto BBC montages of the years I've been (gotta keep a playlist handy for when the wine glass comes out) how mental is it that Dizzee Rascal sountracked 2 in a row? Did anyone ever tout him to headline? Don't get me wrong it'll never happen but they clearly fuckin love that guy. 

It's a tie between 2010 and 14 for best montages for me.

Yeah, I remember he did in the programme one year! They asked him who should headline in future and he said 'me, I've smashed all the other stages' (bit of an exaggeration).

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I remember he did in the programme one year! They asked him who should headline in future and he said 'me, I've smashed all the other stages' (bit of an exaggeration).

To be honest I loved both his pyramid shows, if they'd happened as they did in recent years he'd probably have got the top job

Yeah I guess he’s unfortunate that festivals were different when he was coming up. For an artist who did experience critical and commercial success in his time, and has probably been the biggest influence on UK music to come out of the 21st century, he’s been robbed.

Edited by dentalplan

I have fond memories of Dizzee on the Park in 2008, and the Pyramid in 2009, though by then he was well into his pop phase.  I didn't bother with 2010.

Through chance of circumstance I saw quite a lot of his 2017(?) set on West Holts and he had a big crowd who were having a great time.  Fair play to him. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...