BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I didn’t go in either year but both 2007 and 2008’s lineups look pretty shit on paper. Think it says more about the state of the music industry at that time than the festival itself, but there are a lot of incredibly questionable and boring middle of the road indie acts clogging the upper reaches of the main stages those years. 2009 still had quite a bit of that, but for the most part looks absolutely tremendous in comparison. 

In fairness a quick glance at 2019 shows boring shite like George Ezra, Hozier, Bastille, Tom Odell, Years & Years etc all on the Pyramid alone so they can still book their fair share of rubbish. Looking at 2017 it's much better though.

Edited by Mouseboy11

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I didn’t go in either year but both 2007 and 2008’s lineups look pretty shit on paper. Think it says more about the state of the music industry at that time than the festival itself, but there are a lot of incredibly questionable and boring middle of the road indie acts clogging the upper reaches of the main stages those years. 2009 still had quite a bit of that, but for the most part looks absolutely tremendous in comparison. 

2008 was a great year - primarily because tickets didn’t sell out till the last moment so a lot more different characters got in. 🙂

The Verve on the Sunday night were brilliant. 

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Been thinking about this a lot. Finally went back and rewatched it in full. I've had to apologise (to myself mostly) for loving it so much every time I consider the ten-minute extensions, the covers, the lack of Breakout, middling reviews in the papers etc. Feels like the shine has been taken off it when thinking logically about whether it was actually good. Hearing all these MTV 2 anthems surrounded by friends was fun, but they had missed the mark in the cold light of day?

Well...it's an absolute joy on playback. The crowd are going ballistic and I would put Dave's connection with them up there with Adele, Jarvis, Damon '09 or whoever else as absolute synergy. The two year wait cranked up the anticipation, and something about their everyman singalongs really chimed with the feel of the fest. You can barely hear Dave singing the hits over the crowd, and people were genuinely laughing along with the stage patter and antics until the very end.

It seems like Dave has gone up a notch in British media in the wake of how well the set went? You catch him on the telly all the time, "Times Like These" became a charity single etc. I feel like he's sliding into this comfortable McCartney-ish rent-a-rocker role, and it suits him well.

Anyway: flabby, corny, big Boomer energy, still two of the best hours I've ever spent in front of a stage. Nailed it.

Completely agree.

I wouldn't really say I'm a big FF fan (I certainly never sit down and listen to a Foo's album), and I wasn't planning on seeing them, but then I went along with all my pals and it was just a really fun few hours belting out all the tunes from when I was a teenager. Like you said, it felt like Dave just absolutely got the vibe perfectly. 

Would I go and see them again separately? Probably not, but they were perfect for that evening. 

10 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Just watched the Arcade Fire set (very blocky!), can't believe that was SIX YEARS ago! It's weird, back when they appeared in 2007 there was a lot of excitement and enthusiasm (ended up being a bit of a stinker and they were in a right arsey mood and the weather was grim). By 2014 it seemed like no one was bothered. They seemed quite jolly and appreciative on stage, but ever since the tiff with Flaming Lips (combined with how arsey they were in 2007, I don't trust them anymore!

Still, it was an enjoyable enough set, just one that's never really talked about.

10 hours ago, Barney McGrew said:

The only set I "had to see" in 2007 was Arcade Fire, blagged my mates it would be immense, but, unfortunately I had to concede that it was boring and we left part way through to watch what was left of Kasabian instead, I think they were ok but clearly not very memorable as I can't remember.

Arctic Monkeys were pretty underwhelming as well, not big enough for the stage in my opinion, in fact i'm sure I remember Alex saying something like "Glastonbury, are you still there?" add in the inaudible Killers set... 2007 was poor.

My highlight of 2007 was Thursday night soundcheck on the Park Stage, 'twas all downhill from there!

I don't know what you're talking about, Arcade Fire were great in 2007. And you should have come back to Other instead of suffering through all of the Monkeys, Bjork was immense.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know what you're talking about, Arcade Fire were great in 2007. And you should have come back to Other instead of suffering through all of the Monkeys, Bjork was immense.

I remember thinking they were pretty good in 07, I think the conditions may have taken the edge iff it a little though. 
it’s was Pooled mud about a foot deep where I was standing lol . There was genuine concern about serious breaching of the welly line ha 

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair I have been told that the tail end of AF's set was pretty fine but I give 'em a fair go, as for coming back, probably should've but too fickin' muddy to be arsed! 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The thing I remember about AF in 2007 was the sky having some great colours as the sun went down during a brief respite from the rain.  The way the drums echoed out across the field was quite lovely. 

It was ruined for me as there was a lot of agro in the crowd and someone was threatening to batter someone for a while. Also AF didn’t seem happy to be there at all and I think they only spoke to the crowd to criticise someone with a carling flag (asking if they were a paid sponsor or something). Atmosphere just sucked where I was at and it was a big disappointment for me as I had been so looking forward to seeing them for years!

Might rewatch to see if I was being too harsh!

Edited by Mr.Tease

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It was ruined for me as there was a lot of agro in the crowd and someone was threatening to batter someone for a while. Also AF didn’t seem happy to be there at all and I think they only spoke to the crowd to criticise someone with a carling flag (asking if they were a paid sponsor or something). Atmosphere just sucked where I was at and it was a big disappointment for me as I had been so looking forward to seeing them for years!

I suspect this may be another example of me having a blind spot about the atmosphere for the sake of music.

I was there with the future (and current!) Mrs Hats, so was really focused on her and the music. The thing about Arcade Fire is that in my book, a bad AF gig or bad AF album is better than the vast majority of whatever else is out there.

I do remember what they said afterwards left a bad taste in my mouth.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I suspect this may be another example of me having a blind spot about the atmosphere for the sake of music.

I was there with the future (and current!) Mrs Hats, so was really focused on her and the music. The thing about Arcade Fire is that in my book, a bad AF gig or bad AF album is better than the vast majority of whatever else is out there.

I do remember what they said afterwards left a bad taste in my mouth.

Chemistry really pushes this theory...

On 7/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, Mr.Tease said:

Watched a decent chunk but wasn't feeling it so went to the 2014 set. I may be biased for the latter as I was there but it seemed SO much better. Did enjoy the Funeral and Neon Bible setlist (at least on paper) though

7 minutes ago, DJL said:

Watched a decent chunk but wasn't feeling it so went to the 2014 set. I may be biased for the latter as I was there but it seemed SO much better. Did enjoy the Funeral and Neon Bible setlist (at least on paper) though

I agree- much preferred 2014, at least they were pretending to want to be there!😂

On 7/1/2020 at 9:53 PM, blutarsky said:

Just watching Pulp now, loved the little rambling explanation on where sorted for Es and whizz came from. “I know you’re not like that” *points at crowd*

I never liked Blur or Oasis at school, but I liked Pulp, but was never given that option when people demanded you declare your allegiance. My mum always thought they were called “Plump” and no matter how many times I corrected her over the years, she still makes that mistake to this day! 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I never liked Blur or Oasis at school, but I liked Pulp, but was never given that option when people demanded you declare your allegiance. My mum always thought they were called “Plump” and no matter how many times I corrected her over the years, she still makes that mistake to this day! 

My Mum always called Blondie The Blondie.  Still does even though she knows better. She knows it infuriates me.

I carried on this tradition by always calling S Club 7 Sclub 7 whenever my godson and his cousin brought them up.

Just watched Oasis Pulp  and got have way through Muse whilst doing some paperwork for work tomorrow and before tht spent the afternoon listening to Massive Attack!! Forgot how stunning the track Teardrop is!!! Good old West Country Talent! We don’t do bad for musical talent round here!!  Still some more bbc sets to watch though! 

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

My Mum always called Blondie The Blondie.  Still does even though she knows better. She knows it infuriates me.

I carried on this tradition by always calling S Club 7 Sclub 7 whenever my godson and his cousin brought them up.

I annoy my daughter by calling "Paw Patrol" "Pup Patrol" and referring to the my little pony "Twilight Sparkle" as "The Twilight Sad". An in joke with myself.

• Upvote 1

Watched the Best of 2011 with Mrs J over the weekend, it was our first GF together. Funny watching it back now as it’s a veritable who’s who of “where are they now/are they still going?” - Tinie Tempah, Ce Lo Green, Jessie J (sorry Bamber), Plan B...

Definitely think the Beeb missed a trick by not bundling all of the Best Ofs they had together and making them available to watch as part of the coverage (they may have had reasons- rights, etc who knows?) Watching a full set is fun but unless you are really into that artist it can start to drag a little. A highlights package gives a much better overall vibe to a year than just watching the headliner.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely think the Beeb missed a trick by not bundling all of the Best Ofs they had together and making them available to watch as part of the coverage (they may have had reasons- rights, etc who knows?) Watching a full set is fun but unless you are really into that artist it can start to drag a little. A highlights package gives a much better overall vibe to a year than just watching the headliner.

I fully support this! I absolutely loved watching the 2000 highlight show as I was only 4 years old at that time and had no real idea about music, would liked to have seen a few more.