BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I saw Ashcroft at Sziget last year and age hasn’t treated him well. He can still belt out the tracks though 

Ah I love him, think he's mint. He rocked up at Finsbury for a few songs in 18 before LG and he had a silver jacket on I think it was sparkly? His voice is fantastic tho

One of the best times I saw him, me and my dad went to Albert Hall in Manchester think it might of been 16 or 17. Came out in a gas mask. But he went off, came back on for the encore and he did Lonely Sole. Ah what a proper good night.

Come to think of it, I've only seen him/The Verve once without my dad from being 7.

3 hours ago, mpsamuels said:

"A lot of the material was still in the process of being digitised by the main BBC archive team so it has been challenging"

That bit seems to be the key - a lot of the archive stuff sounds like it's still on tape rather than in the digital library. It's quite possible they don't have the means to broadcast from tape anymore and it would certainly need to be digital to go on iPlayer. Even if they didn't do any touch ups to make it look and sound better, it's still a time consuming task digitising that much footage and clearly the team responsible for doing it are being asked for more than just historic Glasto coverage too - “We need a lot of content to fulfil all our deliveries and they are in demand across the board given the current situation and the need for more archive driven content.” 

At least it sounds like digitising everything is something that was actively ongoing prior to COVID so may see the light of day again at some point and won't just be left to rot as the original tapes deteriorate. When we may get to see it is anyone's guess though and will inevitably involve the artists approval first.

It does make you wonder why it’s taken them so long to digitise some of the older material. 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

It does make you wonder why it’s taken them so long to digitise some of the older material. 

I've no doubt it's a very slow, labour intensive (therefore expensive) process.

If i'm right in thinking they are now digitising (some of?) the BBC analogue archives I've no idea when the process started or how they choose what to prioritise. Clearly they haven't got through all of it though and may not even be aiming to do all of it anyway.

As much as some of us here may think otherwise I assume, for example, that the BBC don't consider Billy Bragg or even the Prodigy's 1997 appearance on The Pyramid to be of quite as much (inter)national significance as some of the other stuff that they likely hold among those tapes. They've probably changed the priorities a little to make sure they've had at least something that's a little unique to show in lieu of a real festival but the rest is quite possibly towards the bottom of the queue.

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Pretty decent figures :) 

Yep obviously lockdown probably helped but I was amazed at the people on my Facebook's posts about what they were watching. There's a lady I know in her 60's usually quite prim and proper and she posted Watching Toots and The Maytals - Loving it. Turns out she's a huge reggae fan. Would not think it to look at her. Made me smile!! 

• Upvote 1

Just spent ages reading through this thread and got from page 80 to 104, then gave up 😅

Bowie was marvellous wasn't it - would have liked to be on here while it was on but wanted to give my full and undivided attention.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Three years on and I’m still not sure if I enjoyed the Foos or not.

I thought they were great. We had Everlong as a first dance at our wedding, so we're big fans. But....

On 6/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, WestCountryGirl said:

I saw them at Wembley in 2008, and for  17 year old recently discovered Zeppelin fanatic, it was the best night of my life to that point.

I saw them in 2011 and the setlist was virtually unchanged, and the patter identical.

I swore I'd never purchase a ticket to see them again, unless they did a major shake up of their setlist.

Went along at Glasto and enjoyed the hits I always have, but yeah.. as underwhelming as I anticipated in the surprise department. 

This is pretty accurate. We didn't get tickets for 2015 when they had to cancel, so 2017 Pyramid was the first time we saw them. We were blown away, but saw them at the Olympic Stadium a year or so later and had similar thoughts about their identi-kit set list etc. It didn't compare to the Pyramid set, despite being very similar. Something to do with the atmosphere. 

On 6/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, ghandi said:

Got to say it's a privilege to watch this Bowie set, blessed 👍😁

It was incredible.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, Freddyflintstonree said:

Just been reading about this. Apparently he was desperate for it not to be recorded at all. Eventually agreed for some songs to be released. 

Great explainer from the producer here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/25/david-bowie-lost-glastonbury-headline-set-bbc

On 6/28/2020 at 10:54 PM, dingbat2 said:

I wonder how loud if sounds in the neighbouring villages like in Pilton these days. The site seems so far away from things especially being in the valley. Can you hear the Pyramid from outside the perimeter? John Peel maybe because its closer to Pilton, but even that's surrounded by trees. I know there are other smaller hamlets as well, Pylle, etc but is there much noise pollution now?

I'd love an answer to this @deebeedoobee @pilton digger. Surely it's all very audible?

On 6/28/2020 at 11:19 PM, FloorFiller said:

Modern Love for me. Vastly underrated Bowie song.

This has been very very enjoyable. I’d seen the setlist before but never truly realised just how jam packed with hits it was, even if he does end on a rather odd choice.

The man had a time machine. "Stay safe and look after each other" *plays* I'm afraid of Americans.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, ghandi said:

I've been watching that full volume with earphones and just tried to put my head down, and had that feeling when you get back to the tent and your heads still buzzing. Weird but lovely.

I had that, lay awake for an hour or so singing Changes to myself over and over. 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, parsonjack said:

#Bowie trending at #1 on Twitter and I think this guy has nailed it 👏👏

I saw that. Nail. Head. Hit. Only Bowie could do it. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Just spent ages reading through this thread and got from page 80 to 104, then gave up 😅

Bowie was marvellous wasn't it - would have liked to be on here while it was on but wanted to give my full and undivided attention.

I thought they were great. We had Everlong as a first dance at our wedding, so we're big fans. But....

This is pretty accurate. We didn't get tickets for 2015 when they had to cancel, so 2017 Pyramid was the first time we saw them. We were blown away, but saw them at the Olympic Stadium a year or so later and had similar thoughts about their identi-kit set list etc. It didn't compare to the Pyramid set, despite being very similar. Something to do with the atmosphere. 

It was incredible.

Great explainer from the producer here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/25/david-bowie-lost-glastonbury-headline-set-bbc

I'd love an answer to this @deebeedoobee @pilton digger. Surely it's all very audible?

As much as I'd love to tell you, I can not say. I'm always at the festival. 

Friends in Evercreech , Wells and Shepton say they can hear the main stage if the wind is in their direction.

As I walk home in the early hours of the morning I can hear a general hum but that's long after any stages are still going.

13 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Considering how acclaimed it is I was looking forward to watching the Pulp set...that violinist butchering Common People wants shooting 

I think that’s been mentioned on here before 😆

Was funny to hear and made me feel old when Jarvis Cocker said  ‘Happy 25th birthday Glastonbury Festival, here’s to the next 25’ ... which takes us up to this year! 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Friends in Evercreech , Wells and Shepton say they can hear the main stage if the wind is in their direction.

As I walk home in the early hours of the morning I can hear a general hum but that's long after any stages are still going.

Last year I ran a few driving errands off site after hours and it’s amazing how deserted Pilton feels when the festival is fully on. There is a lockdown on festival traffic after 10 unless you have a particular level of security or artist pass. 

35 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Considering how acclaimed it is I was looking forward to watching the Pulp set...that violinist butchering Common People wants shooting 

"That violinist" 🤣 poor Russell! Tbh, the violin was a tad high in the mix on that one.

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

I stay off site at Croscombe. We used to park at  Bowermead Lane during the day - above the village - so were there mid morning and later on after the Pyramid shut down. You can see the site from up there and the sound from the festival is pretty impressive. You couldn’t actually make out the different stages though. Always exciting though - especially when we were parking up to go down to the site for the first time. 

Just watched the Arcade Fire set (very blocky!), can't believe that was SIX YEARS ago! It's weird, back when they appeared in 2007 there was a lot of excitement and enthusiasm (ended up being a bit of a stinker and they were in a right arsey mood and the weather was grim). By 2014 it seemed like no one was bothered. They seemed quite jolly and appreciative on stage, but ever since the tiff with Flaming Lips (combined with how arsey they were in 2007, I don't trust them anymore!

Still, it was an enjoyable enough set, just one that's never really talked about.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Just watched the Arcade Fire set (very blocky!), can't believe that was SIX YEARS ago! It's weird, back when they appeared in 2007 there was a lot of excitement and enthusiasm (ended up being a bit of a stinker and they were in a right arsey mood and the weather was grim). By 2014 it seemed like no one was bothered. They seemed quite jolly and appreciative on stage, but ever since the tiff with Flaming Lips (combined with how arsey they were in 2007, I don't trust them anymore!

Still, it was an enjoyable enough set, just one that's never really talked about.

Think Reading/Leeds has the right idea booking them on the album beforehand - that headline set at Leeds was incredible. I thought their set at Glastonbury was incredible too, albeit slightly less so as they were playing off the back of a less well received album and the initial hype surrounding them had subsided and they’d resorted to silly gimmicks at their shows (I don’t remember it happening on the night, but watching it back that bobblehead dance along bit between the main set and encore was cringey as hell). It’s unfortunately been downhill for them since, although I hope they can pull it back with their next album. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think Reading/Leeds has the right idea booking them on the album beforehand - that headline set at Leeds was incredible. I thought their set at Glastonbury was incredible too, albeit slightly less so as they were playing off the back of a less well received album and the initial hype surrounding them had subsided and they’d resorted to silly gimmicks at their shows (I don’t remember it happening on the night, but watching it back that bobblehead dance along bit between the main set and encore was cringey as hell). It’s unfortunately been downhill for them since, although I hope they can pull it back with their next album. 

Yeah this is something that had slipped my mind until I watched it back and it really didn't come across well. I was quite near the front so I do remember it but that part seemed quite quiet when watching it back, I wonder how it was for people near the back of the crowd. 

As much as Everything Now was a poor album compared to the previous four, I thought the tour was fantastic. Other than the small Reflektors shows in 2013 their Everything Now tour is probably the best I've seen them.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The only set I "had to see" in 2007 was Arcade Fire, blagged my mates it would be immense, but, unfortunately I had to concede that it was boring and we left part way through to watch what was left of Kasabian instead, I think they were ok but clearly not very memorable as I can't remember.

Arctic Monkeys were pretty underwhelming as well, not big enough for the stage in my opinion, in fact i'm sure I remember Alex saying something like "Glastonbury, are you still there?" add in the inaudible Killers set... 2007 was poor.

My highlight of 2007 was Thursday night soundcheck on the Park Stage, 'twas all downhill from there!

15 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

The only set I "had to see" in 2007 was Arcade Fire, blagged my mates it would be immense, but, unfortunately I had to concede that it was boring and we left part way through to watch what was left of Kasabian instead, I think they were ok but clearly not very memorable as I can't remember.

Arctic Monkeys were pretty underwhelming as well, not big enough for the stage in my opinion, in fact i'm sure I remember Alex saying something like "Glastonbury, are you still there?" add in the inaudible Killers set... 2007 was poor.

My highlight of 2007 was Thursday night soundcheck on the Park Stage, 'twas all downhill from there!

I got lucky with my choices in 2007- really enjoyed iggy pop and the stooges then went to see spiritualized acoustic on the park stage, which perfectly topped off the night! No one ever talks about that spiritualized set, but it was very moving! 

I didn’t go in either year but both 2007 and 2008’s lineups look pretty shit on paper. Think it says more about the state of the music industry at that time than the festival itself, but there are a lot of incredibly questionable and boring middle of the road indie acts clogging the upper reaches of the main stages those years. 2009 still had quite a bit of that, but for the most part looks absolutely tremendous in comparison.