BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

30 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Feel free to delete my post if not appropriate but I've found everything shown this weekend available to download from TorrentGalaxy

Likewise any Linux (Ubuntu) weirdos out there.  Download the Video Downloader prog. Corner of attached image.  You just copy the URL from iPlayer and copy into the program and download the Audio and Video files. Best Res available etc. Really easy.

IMG_20200630_195333.jpg

Just now, lemons said:

Watching Sigrid's set again. Gutted I came to her music so late. Would love to see her next year.  Encapsulates the joy of live music for me. Infectious enthusiasm for performing.

She was so unexpectedly awesome. Didn't realise how many songs I knew, and such a performer. 

Not posted on here for a while but feel it’s overdue. Having watched numerous sets on the Beeb it’s made me realise how immensely lucky I’ve been to witness all the special moments of music and the history of the festival. Though it has really hit home that it can’t be taken for granted and how much I have missed this year!!!!!

11 hours ago, MJP said:

https://www.ibc.org/trends/behind-the-scenes-the-glastonbury-experience/6142.article

The Executive Producer said they could only get so much archive footage because of the virus.

People working remotely to improve footage, re-edit sets, bring up the quality. And iPlayer/live was done by different production companies.

All very interesting, but explains why so much of it was recent footage.

I don’t really understand this... if it’s already been broadcast once, surely it can be again? 

No one watching is expecting footage from previous years to be the same level of production as the last 5. 

It would be nice if they could fill in the fallow years with this sort of thing. They will never run out of footage if they done it every few years.

The 90's stuff they have in the archive is like gold because so much of it has never been broadcast. Even the stuff from the early 00's would be new to a lot of people.

You could argue that some license payers like the year off from the festival. Even if it was just put on the iPlayer, without taking up so much space on TV...

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

It would be nice if they could fill in the fallow years with this sort of thing. They will never run out of footage if they done it every few years.

The 90's stuff they have in the archive is like gold because so much of it has never been broadcast. Even the stuff from the early 00's would be new to a lot of people.

You could argue that some license payers like the year off from the festival. Even if it was just put on the iPlayer, without taking up so much space on TV...

There's all sorts of things I'd like a year off from on the BBC  but that's just the way it goes. 

I thank the pandemic though for no Wimbledon this year!

22 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Why has Springsteen’a full set never been shown? Is it him that blocks it?

it's been banned for health reasons, we can't have the whole country falling asleep.

:P 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

I don’t really understand this... if it’s already been broadcast once, surely it can be again? 

No one watching is expecting footage from previous years to be the same level of production as the last 5. 

"A lot of the material was still in the process of being digitised by the main BBC archive team so it has been challenging"

That bit seems to be the key - a lot of the archive stuff sounds like it's still on tape rather than in the digital library. It's quite possible they don't have the means to broadcast from tape anymore and it would certainly need to be digital to go on iPlayer. Even if they didn't do any touch ups to make it look and sound better, it's still a time consuming task digitising that much footage and clearly the team responsible for doing it are being asked for more than just historic Glasto coverage too - “We need a lot of content to fulfil all our deliveries and they are in demand across the board given the current situation and the need for more archive driven content.” 

At least it sounds like digitising everything is something that was actively ongoing prior to COVID so may see the light of day again at some point and won't just be left to rot as the original tapes deteriorate. When we may get to see it is anyone's guess though and will inevitably involve the artists approval first.

2 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Would love to see The Verve from 2008. Cracking headline set that was.

This seems to be missing 'Sit And Wonder' but that probably wasn't broadcast at the time as Fourth hadn't been released so it's as close to the full thing as you'll get for now.