BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

13 hours ago, ogriff said:

I don't find Dave a particularly engaging performer. There's no real energy or dynamism, he just wanders about, lightly jabbing with one hand and very clearly and competently rapping. But worse than that there's a lack of stagecraft, and - for the lack of a better word - oomph to his shows (Alex at glasto type moments aside) And I say that as someone who really likes his music!  He just doesn't have the force of personality of Stormzy, Skepta and the likes, for me.

I think he has definite potential as a headliner. He has only just turned 22 but his Brits performance made me stand up from my sofa to give him a standing ovation and there aren't many artists who have moved me to do that. I think his current album whilst amazing to listen to probably wouldn't be as suited to a festival set but another album or 2 under his belt and he could definitely manage it. I look back at some of his music like Question Time released when he was only 18/19 years old and think wow there are many people decades older who aren't that eloquent and articulate. 

I think the Alex moment shows that he has an interest in audience participation and stage craft so that will improve. I think his confidence will grow as well. You have to remember he had a huge backlash for his single Black and you can see that he was a little worried performing it to a largely white festival audience. Hopefully the positive reception to it will make him feel more confident in the future but he is one artist that genuinely excites me. I can't wait to find out what he does next. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Why has Springsteen’a full set never been shown? Is it him that blocks it?

Most of it was on - it was around 2 hours 45 minutes in total though. There was only a handful of tracks in the middle that weren't shown - the only two of them that the general public would know were put onto the show on Saturday night. I imagine it was more the BBC's decision not to show the lot. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dave's Brits performance definitely shows a significant evolution from G19.  People werent expecting ballet or gospel at the Stormzy show either.

Yes I was reading that he got help with the stagecraft part of it as well. It's always trickier for a solo artist but there are very few artists that excite me in the way that Dave has. Listening to Psychodrama for the first time honestly made me stop breathing at times. The tension he created in the song Lesley in particular was akin to watching a good thriller on tv. 

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I was reading that he got help with the stagecraft part of it as well. It's always trickier for a solo artist but there are very few artists that excite me in the way that Dave has. Listening to Psychodrama for the first time honestly made me stop breathing at times. The tension he created in the song Lesley in particular was akin to watching a good thriller on tv. 

I go back to the Brits performance whenever I need a lift, it's that good. It will be interesting to see how he can transform the more personal, intimate aspects of his catalogue to his live shows. If he can pull that off, then that'd definitely change my mind! 

On 6/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, Beaver89 said:

Yea it is just sweat, mud and cider smell now isn't it... such a shame. The smoke covered a lot!

The thing with the smoke was that you never realised quite how much everything smelled until you got back to civilisation and realised that the smell was on everything you owned. Loved it. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

my only gripe was there was too much focus on sets from the last 8-9 years and not enough from the 90s/early00s.

Agreed, outstanding effort all around and a brilliant variety of acts on but a lot of it was too recent for my liking e.g. lots from last year, there are some brilliant sets around since the BBC took over the rights so I'm unsure why they weren't included to give a wider range of years 

34 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I go back to the Brits performance whenever I need a lift, it's that good. It will be interesting to see how he can transform the more personal, intimate aspects of his catalogue to his live shows. If he can pull that off, then that'd definitely change my mind! 

Yes in some ways some headliners are thrust on to that stage either too young or too old. I'm not sure Blur in 94/95 would have been capable of what they achieved in 2009. There can be a magic timing to it but I definitely have Dave down as one to watch and if he was given the chance I would be there and there aren't that many acts that get me to the Pyramid stage at headliner time these days. 

56 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Agreed, outstanding effort all around and a brilliant variety of acts on but a lot of it was too recent for my liking e.g. lots from last year, there are some brilliant sets around since the BBC took over the rights so I'm unsure why they weren't included to give a wider range of years 

spot on. Prodigy from 1997, Blur in 1998, Pulp from 1998, Manics from 1999 to name a few headliners plus a lot of other stuff from other stages and lower down the bill.

even a two hour ‘best of 19xx’ would have done.

Opportunity missed if you ask me. 

59 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

even a two hour ‘best of 19xx’ would have done.

Opportunity missed if you ask me. 

Agreed, I think they should have made 2 hour best of shows for every year they'd covered so there was a variety from the different years - I must say though that's my only major gripe 

https://www.ibc.org/trends/behind-the-scenes-the-glastonbury-experience/6142.article

The Executive Producer said they could only get so much archive footage because of the virus.

People working remotely to improve footage, re-edit sets, bring up the quality. And iPlayer/live was done by different production companies.

All very interesting, but explains why so much of it was recent footage.

13 minutes ago, MJP said:

https://www.ibc.org/trends/behind-the-scenes-the-glastonbury-experience/6142.article

The Executive Producer said they could only get so much archive footage because of the virus.

People working remotely to improve footage, re-edit sets, bring up the quality. And iPlayer/live was done by different production companies.

I was thinking would it be because of people allowing the footage to be shown and how much was archived and ysubt recent footage you definitely have is probably sensible, thanks for finding the explanation 

49 minutes ago, MJP said:

And gives us hope that there’s a helluva lot of yet classic unseen stuff out there! We need a dedicated year round Glastonbury channel. A lot better that some of the shite niche channels on satellite! Never mind UK gold, we need Eavis gold! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:26 PM, deebeedoobee said:

First gig I ever went to was David Bowie Milton Keynes 1983

I was there - not my first gig but my first outdoor festival. It was the Serious Moonlight Tour. Towards the end a vast crescent-shaped gold & silver moon hovered far above the stage. As its side split open, out and down onto the crowd tumbled thousands of tiny baby moons. Having failed to grab one myself, someone in the crowd took pity on me when we were exiting and gave me their spare. That's it below. For 37 years it's kept its air. It still has pride of place over the speakers in our living room. Never did I imagine it would outlast the Thin White Duke himself.  

image.png

Edited by Mackem
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mackem said:

I was there - not my first gig but my first outdoor festival. It was the Serious Moonlight Tour. Towards the end a vast crescent-shaped gold & silver moon hovered far above the stage. As its side split open, out and down onto the crowd tumbled thousands of tiny baby moons. Having failed to grab one myself, someone in the crowd took pity on me when we were exiting and gave me their spare. That's it below. For 37 years it's kept its air. It still has pride of place over the speakers in our living room. Never did I imagine it would outlast the Thin White Duke himself.  

image.png

Ah you were one of the lucky ones. All I managed to grab was a little confetti. That did not out last the Duke.

• Like 1