BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

43 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I personally think using flags to navigate is only really useful on the phone. I remember one year a friend telling me how they got hopelessly lost because a flag was their only point of reference and when they came back the people with the flag had gone. 

There were a few but not even in the same leagues of some of the ones around today. It seems to have grown every year the TV footage has been on. I'd bet if you look back at footage from the 80's there'd be hardly none and it does just prove they are not part of the tradition. I'm not a fan of banning things I'd always rather people police their own behaviour but I would like if people who watched the footage could admit that it's not a Glastonbury tradition and get back to the flag level of some of the 90's coverage. 

Isn't 20 years long enough to form a tradition? I agree there cleary weren't as many, but good luck getting the flag bearers to agree among them who is and isn't going to be allowed to bring theirs! :lol:

Personally while they can be annoying I generally find them a pleasant addition, and invaluable for finding your mates.

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Isn't 20 years long enough to form a tradition? I agree there cleary weren't as many, but good luck getting the flag bearers to agree among them who is and isn't going to be allowed to bring theirs! :lol:

Personally while they can be annoying I generally find them a pleasant addition, and invaluable for finding your mates.

A good point!! In terms of the 35 actual festivals flags have probably been a pretty big feature of 50%+, so we have to accept, it is a tradition. But hope that some kind of common sense evolves. We felt like 2009/10/11 were actually "peak flag", with the nadir of i heart sausage in 2009. Perhaps somebody that's good at analysis can give us a definitive answer?

Just now, Neville Street said:

A good point!! In terms of the 35 actual festivals flags have probably been a pretty big feature of 50%+, so we have to accept, it is a tradition. But hope that some kind of common sense evolves. We felt like 2009/10/11 were actually "peak flag", with the nadir of i heart sausage in 2009. Perhaps somebody that's good at analysis can give us a definitive answer?

It got worse for ages, in 2010, the festival starting politely telling people not to go overboard, so they slowly decreased over time.

10 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

As I pointed out if the person with the flag buggers off the reliance on the flags can actually be a problem.  As I said not a fan of banning things  and so would just leave them be and hope that it's a fad that dies out but to me they are just symptomatic of 2 general societal issues at the moment 1.  that selfish I'm alright Jack so fuck everyone else attitude and 2. look at me, look at me that's where I was, that's my flag. 

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Crazy to think that when I first went in 1994 the Wolves flag was there then...

That little Wolves flag was the only flag I remember when I first went ('94 like you) and is still going strong. Went up to talk to the bloke once as he was nearby in the crowd and said respect for all the years you've been here with that flag. He always seemed to be present at anything decent. Bloke called John I think (was years ago). He's on so much of the coverage over the years.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ch ch ch chupa chups.

Brilliant. I'm out of upvotes. Congratulations. Bravo.

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Late to the party I know but having caught some of Christine and The Queens over the weekend I'm now obsessed.

That is all.

Proper performance art. And the campest percussionist ever.

21 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Everyone knew Embrace were dreadful at the time.

All You Good Good People is still a banger though.

I may have overdone it a bit last night with The Bowie and what have you and subsequently managed to oversleep for Muse. Bollocks. So I'm currently watching that.

I've already stated that I think good old Aunty Beeb has played a blinder this weekend, hey we have a setlist on a Monday, but do they really need to repeat Adele and Bouncy given the huge back catalogue?

38 minutes ago, rob.a said:

It's going to suck in 30 days time when all these have gone. Having massive rave to Underworld while making tea! It's awesome! 

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes

get_iplayer --prefs-add --modes=best
get_iplayer --pid b007r6vx --pid-recursive

https://www.cclonline.com/product/278924/STEB10000400/External-Storage/Seagate-Expansion-10TB-3-5-inch-USB-3-0-Desktop-Hard-Drive-External-/BAK7933/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Someone in here was thinking that Metallica was lower quality on the stream. It is. Metallica, Arcade Fire and Kasabian from the headliners are all in less than the 720p standard. So it may be a mixed bag across the 100 of things on there.

Disclosure, also. Must be a 2014 thing.

I've reported it as a fault, so hopefully it can get resolved.