BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd always assumed Tender was the last song, not halfway through!

Yes I thought it was the last one before the encore at least. I've not watched it yet. Saving it until near the end as I know it'll have me crying like a baby. 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I thought it was the last one before the encore at least. I've not watched it yet. Saving it until near the end as I know it'll have me crying like a baby. 

The run of end of a century, to the end, and this is a low... wow

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It wasn't the eye lolly that caused the cancellation - though it does look pretty painful

Screenshot-2017-10-12-at-3.30.09-PM.png

Ouch! Didn't he have a heart attack or something soon after--I always wondered if the two things were related (can a lollipop pop to the eye trigger a heart attack?! Can it?!). I think a few days or after this incident he thought he had pinched nerve or something in his chest or shoulder and it turned out to be a major blockage or something, and then he retired soon after

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Ouch! Didn't he have a heart attack or something soon after--I always wondered if the two things were related (can a lollipop pop to the eye trigger a heart attack?! Can it?!). I think a few days or after this incident he thought he had pinched nerve or something in his chest or shoulder and it turned out to be a major blockage or something, and then he retired soon after

The lollipop was in Norway a week before he played a gig in the Czech Republic and had to cut it short because of what he thought was a trapped nerve, played Germany a few days later but was rushed to hospital right after the show from a heart attack.

One of his roadies also died a few weeks earlier setting the stage up.

A fairly swift end to touring life. He looked dreadful in Germany. This is him mid heart attack. Mild as it was.

Watch-the-incredible-moment-David-Bowie-

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd always assumed Tender was the last song, not halfway through!

56 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think one of the reasons it took the band by surprise so much is that it was never really one of their "big" tunes. Certainly didn't expect the singalong that it got.  That's probably why it was also such a moment; it's not like Lionel Richie when everyone was expected and expecting to sing along to 'Hello'.  This was proper organic, just swelled and kept on going!

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lizzo's show was aired in full at the time.

May have been left on the shelf for this year as there's a giant flag right in front of the sound desk that marrs all the long shots.

Yep the clip they showed of it on me that flag was really irritating me. The coverage this weekend has also completely shat on the argument that flags are part of the Glastonbury tradition as there are so few in the 90's covereage. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep the clip they showed of it on me that flag was really irritating me. The coverage this weekend has also completely shat on the argument that flags are part of the Glastonbury tradition as there are so few in the 90's covereage. 

My personal opinion is flags can help you find your mates in a big crowd and aren't a big deal when your further away from the stage.

But people that are right at the front & spent the whole set with a flag up are just arseholes trying to get on TV that block everyone's view of the stage.

It's always chaos getting in/out of the front section of crowd that has the barriers as there are always loads of people trying to push in whilst people are still leaving from the end of the previous set.

They should make one side an entrance, one an exit,no flags in that area & have security to enforce it. 

Two problems solved

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Definitely a few about for Bowie in the small part of the crowd that was visible.

I didn’t go in the late noughties/ start of the 10s, but from the TV coverage from the it definitely looks like peak flag-times. Saw a few that had long-winded charity appeals on them!

I’ve never had a problem being stuck behind one of them, but agree with a previous poster that they should be banned from the “pit” areas.

Crazy to think that when I first went in 1994 the Wolves flag was there then...

10 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

My personal opinion is flags can help you find your mates in a big crowd and aren't a big deal when your further away from the stage.

But people that are right at the front & spent the whole set with a flag up are just arseholes trying to get on TV that block everyone's view of the stage.

It's always chaos getting in/out of the front section of crowd that has the barriers as there are always loads of people trying to push in whilst people are still leaving from the end of the previous set.

They should make one side an entrance, one an exit,no flags in that area & have security to enforce it. 

Two problems solved

I personally think using flags to navigate is only really useful on the phone. I remember one year a friend telling me how they got hopelessly lost because a flag was their only point of reference and when they came back the people with the flag had gone. 

9 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Definitely a few about for Bowie in the small part of the crowd that was visible.

There were a few but not even in the same leagues of some of the ones around today. It seems to have grown every year the TV footage has been on. I'd bet if you look back at footage from the 80's there'd be hardly none and it does just prove they are not part of the tradition. I'm not a fan of banning things I'd always rather people police their own behaviour but I would like if people who watched the footage could admit that it's not a Glastonbury tradition and get back to the flag level of some of the 90's coverage. 

Edited by gigpusher

Last thing I watched last night was Bowie, it’s as close as I could get to seeing the ultimate headliner, mesmeric performance from my favourite artist. The lovely comments on here just confirmed that his appeal will never wane, it will transcend the generations. 

This morning watched the 2011 highlights show, even more great memories. Roll on next June! 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Had me crying like a baby last night. That was my first Glastonbury and that point was when I got it, it just clicked, what a special place it really is 😭😭😭

22 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

The Bloodhound Gang and Counting Crows on the Best of 2000 Highlights program.

And people broke in to the site that year??

I did the v festival that year and was shocked at how much cross over their was between the two (when V actually had half decent line ups) however to my point we watched blood hound gang waiting for Joe strummer who was on next and to be fair despite the music they knew how to put on a show. before they started they invited someone out the crowd to stay on stage with them and promised him £100 if he could polish off a whole crate of beer by the end of the set. fair play to the lad he did it too.