BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Yeah. Please don't get me wrong. I was on here last night raving about how good 2016 was.

It's just that personally I think musically they're a bit bland. Always liked the Noel Gallagher quote, "Bed wetters music" (though that may have been about Embrace).

That was Alan McGee’s quote not Noel!

CP’s 2016 set was indeed brilliant. 🙌

One thing that struck me about the Bowie gig was the crowd.

I was always under the impression he got a mammoth crowd and everyone talks about how pack it was with fence jumpers that year.

But looking at the crowd it seemed packed till the sound desk then everyone sat around fires towards the back.

4 minutes ago, Divein said:

One thing that struck me about the Bowie gig was the crowd.

I was always under the impression he got a mammoth crowd and everyone talks about how pack it was with fence jumpers that year.

But looking at the crowd it seemed packed till the sound desk then everyone sat around fires towards the back.

The claimed crowd numbers of 90s festivals meets visual evidence once again.

I think, perhaps, there may have been a tad of Eavis exaggeration going on.

And I say that as someone who walked though where the fence was in 2000 (cost me a fiver to do it!) and was stood in that field watching Bowie.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

And I say that as someone who walked though where the fence was in 2000 (cost me a fiver to do it!) and was stood in that field watching Bowie.

My memory of 2000 was that it was genuinely packed with a ridiculous number of people coming overnight Friday > Saturday.  We woke up on Saturday to find tents crammed in everywhere.

As for Bowie’s crowd, I don’t seem to remember it being a seminal booking / must see moment at the time in the way it’s rightly become legend now. 

3 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

My memory of 2000 was that it was genuinely packed with a ridiculous number of people coming overnight Friday > Saturday.  We woke up on Saturday to find tents crammed in everywhere.

As for Bowie’s crowd, I don’t seem to remember it being a seminal booking / must see moment at the time in the way it’s rightly become legend now. 

Yeah we arrived Saturday morning, and left after Bowie.

It was packed, but I always take the attendance figures with a pinch of salt because I've got old aerial photos and it never appears as busy as it does these days, and the site was obviously smaller then.  Kylie had waay more people than the Levellers!

And you're right on Bowie's booking too, it hadn't been difficult to see him through the nineties, but if you did you wouldn't have see a set of hits like that gig.

Edited by fatyeti24

42 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I enjoyed the REM clips from 2003- wish they had that full set on player instead of 1999 (as I was there!).

I know they'll never reform or headline again, but out of curiosity, how popular/well known are REM these days among younger people? 

I'm watching the Glastonbury set again!! 

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

And you're right on Bowie's booking too, it hadn't been difficult to see him through the nineties, but if you did you wouldn't have see a set of hits like that gig.

Headlined Phoenix twice IIRC. With distinctly less populist setlists.

But let us not talk of his TITP booking.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah I was at the 96 one. In my head I always thought Prodigy headlined the first night. It was years later that I remembered it was Bowie. 

46 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You dont hear REM much on the radio any more.

I think I have actually noticed them being played a bit more just recently. I don't think they'll ever reform though. They parted on good terms. They are not the kind to do anything just for the money. I just can't see any reason why they would. I do hope I am wrong about this though. REM were definitely one of my bands probably my Bowie. 

I think the tragedy for me about Bowie's death was that it happened only just as I had started to get into him. Obviously I knew the hits but it was only a year or 2 before that I started hearing some album tracks and appreciating them. I didn't grow up in a house of music lovers nobody else in my family gets why I would go to something like Glastonbury or how I still go to so many gigs so I very much found my own way musically which does mean it took me a while to come to some acts that are revered by many. I suspect had I been at Glastonbury in 2000 that I might not have gone to see him although I might have out of curiosity. It would probably have been a toss of a coin decision though. 

29 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah I was at the 96 one. In my head I always thought Prodigy headlined the first night. It was years later that I remembered it was Bowie. 

I was a front couple of rows fanboy that day for the run of Placebo > Frank Black > Gene > Prodigy > Bowie. Glasto 19 levels of sun and heat.

DB's Phoenix residency (played the Dance tent in 97 too) pulled me away from Glasto for a bit but dragged me back in 2000.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I wasn’t there,  but a few of my friends went and they said whilst it was busy it wasn’t dangerously packed and the crowd for Bowie proves that there wasn’t perhaps as many fence jumpers as reported in the media. 

1 hour ago, PolygonWindow said:

is anyone else on a bowie rampage after last night?

Currently working through Earthling again whilst working from home. What a man.

I'm watching the second half of the set now.. And yes, there's no way I'm going to be listening to anything else today (and I have a day off - hooray).

It's so good! I mean, obviously it was going to be good, it's Bowie, but I didn't know it was going to be quite THIS good!

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That TITP booking is one of those stingers that will stay with me to the end. Even more so than the night I left The Southern just before Nirvana turned up.

I'm fairly confident that if I'd been at Glasto then I would have gone to see Bowie (even if I'd been my actual age at the time of 15). My Mum is a mega fan so, along with the Stones, he definitely feel like one of the two past headliners I feel the most gutted about not being there for. 

Does anyone remember/know what was up against him? Maybe @sedra or @fatyeti24?

"Let"s Dance"....Tune!!! 

18 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I wasn’t there,  but a few of my friends went and they said whilst it was busy it wasn’t dangerously packed and the crowd for Bowie proves that there wasn’t perhaps as many fence jumpers as reported in the media. 

Because we didn't pay+ spend days preparing to buy tickets, I think the fence jumpers were far more likely to disappear on the Sunday back then. 

REM are a band I am simultaneously equally desperate for them to reform and to not reform.

I was lucky enough to see them on tour in 2005 but would give almost anything for the chance to see them again. But at the same time I respect so much the way they called it a day in an amicable, non money-grabbing way. So it would be a shame to spoil that.

I don't think it will happen though, and I'm at peace with that.

3 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

He was booked for '04, I had tickets. Something about a lollipop stick, Bowie cancelled last minute and we got... The Darkness instead.

edit: Oops, meant to quote @Sasperella

It wasn't the eye lolly that caused the cancellation - though it does look pretty painful

Screenshot-2017-10-12-at-3.30.09-PM.png

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

REM are a band I am simultaneously equally desperate for them to reform and to not reform.

I was lucky enough to see them on tour in 2005 but would give almost anything for the chance to see them again. But at the same time I respect so much the way they called it a day in an amicable, non money-grabbing way. So it would be a shame to spoil that.

I don't think it will happen though, and I'm at peace with that.

They're firmly in the group 'not going to reform' in my book.  Along with The Smiths, Oasis, and Dire Straits.