BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

So after a really scary weekend in 2000 ( surrounded by drug dealers, atmosphere not great, and overcrowding when the fence came down) my 20 year old niece at her 3rd Glastonbury with me wasn’t too bothered about Bowie but I said we have to stay as he is a legend and I had only seen once  before on the quickly forgotten Glass Spider tour in 88 . It was the best night of the weekend and she was overwhelmed by Bowie. So glad we shared this moment. We have shared so many Glastonbury memories over the years 20 years later- and will again next year. Feel so lucky watching this that I was there. 

Edited by sedra
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, sedra said:

So after a really scary weekend in 2000 ( surrounded by drug dealers, atmosphere not great, and overcrowding when the fence came down) my 20 year old niece at her 3rd Glastonbury with me wasn’t too bothered about Bowie but I said we have to stay as he is a legend and I had only seen once  before on the quickly forgotten Glass Spider tour in 88 . It was the best night of the weekend and she was overwhelmed by Bowie. So glad we shared this moment. We have shared so many Glastonbury memories over the years 20 years later- and will again next year. Feel so lucky watching this that I was there. 

Wow

I’ve loved, adored, revered and admired David Bowie since I first heard space oddity on a cheap transistor radio late at night, hidden beneath my bed covers. That stage in the early teens when in those days parents started worrying about your long hair etc.  Seeing me watching Bowie on TOTP with his make up and clothes really upset them. Bowie gigs were fantastic strange affairs. Unlike others at the time like zeppelin etc you were utterly mesmerised by the great man. So happy to see this Glastonbury appearance in full. 

4 minutes ago, sedra said:

love this!

Lovely bloke as well.

My sister worked for Virgin in Australia and Bowie regularly flew into Sydney especially in the 2000s (I think he lived there for a bit)

He always used to ask for my sister and her mate to facilitate them through Sydney Airport as they were English and he liked to hear a home accent, and they just used to have a bit of banter.

Think this pic is around 2004 (?) - Reality tour possibly.

Much missed

bowie.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Struck by lack of flags and loads of little burning bonfires at the top of pyramid field....

The bonfires were still a thing during the first couple of years I went in 2004 & 2005 but I think got banned after that? (I might be wrong)

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The bonfires were still a thing during the first couple of years I went in 2004 & 2005 but I think got banned after that? (I might be wrong)

They were wax flares stuck in the ground - and were banned at some point

7 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Just been reading about this. Apparently he was desperate for it not to be recorded at all. Eventually agreed for some songs to be released. 

7 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

He was really uncomfortable with it being shown apparently. Probably why it only got released on DVD last year and being broadcast now.

Thanks.  God knows why. It's bloody terrific 👍