BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

Super hyped for Bowie.

Was lucky enough to see what turned out to be his last ever UK tour, he was utterly fantastic. The way he opened the gig will live with me forever - Stage was dark, various roadies milling around soundchecking etc, nobody in the crowd paying too much attention... A figure walks up to the mic, picks up a guitar and plays the opening notes to Rebel Rebel. Stage suddenly lights up and there’s the man himself.

Coolest opening to a gig I’ve ever seen.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We have to drive home tomorrow morning. We can focus on 2021 on Tuesday.

Nope. BBC iPlayer is on through Monday as well :)

I honestly think I might have a proper Glastonbury comedown after all of this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Nope. BBC iPlayer is on through Monday as well :)

I honestly think I might have a proper Glastonbury comedown after all of this.

I'm hoping the comedown will be a bit more gradual. I'm going to keep on watching sets on player all week which should be less of shock than normal. 

Edited by DJL

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I've been dipping in and out of this evening's coverage but I wish they would put that full 2003 REM headline set on the iplayer too.

I've not even really looked at the sets on the iPlayer yet. I'm sticking with the one chosen for me and will use the iPlayer sets during work days for the next month to wean me off!! 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Three years on and I’m still not sure if I enjoyed the Foos or not.

I'll be honest I expected more and better. They weren't awful , they never are but I have seen them be way better and with all the hype I expected something special and was massively deflated by them. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

This Blur set is the one that forced me into action. I'd been watching for years saying I must go there one year. After this I just had to go. One of my biggest regrets is how late I left it and that I didn't get to see this live. 

Exactly the same here. Seeing that set + looking over the lineup that year made me think ‘fuck I need to be there next year’ and thankfully I was lucky enough to get that golden ticket a few months later!

Blur still to this day is the best gig I have ever witnessed and I am so psyched they have FINALLY released the full gig. Will savour it properly sometime next week. Wasn't even a fan going in, and probably still not but that show... oh man. As Alex said in the documentary: "Something special happened that night" ...it really fucking did.

Always been frustrated too, that the Beeb only ever show an hour when they do. To me thats like cutting to the Stairway solo. So much context lost! You need the 5-10 mins of post Tender in-the-round singing, you need Albarn weeping on the riser and everything else that went on before you get to that primal "GLASTONBURY" scream in The Universal.

Can't wait to re-live it properly. Hopefully it lives up to my memory...

Blur were my first Pyramid headliners at my first Glastonbury.  I always think I must be exaggerating in my memory how good it was because it was all tied up with memories of first time, but actually it was just euphoric 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Exactly the same here. Seeing that set + looking over the lineup that year made me think ‘fuck I need to be there next year’ and thankfully I was lucky enough to get that golden ticket a few months later!

The crazy thing is I nearly forgot about ticket day. A friend posted on Facebook that she had gotten them and I logged on and bought them after Midday!!!! I mean can you even imagine that now! I think 2010 was the festival that changed it all. The more extensive BBC coverage for the 40th and the growth of smart phones and social media changed it for ever. 

2 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Blur still to this day is the best gig I have ever witnessed and I am so psyched they have FINALLY released the full gig. Will savour it properly sometime next week. Wasn't even a fan going in, and probably still not but that show... oh man. As Alex said in the documentary: "Something special happened that night" ...it really fucking did.

Always been frustrated too, that the Beeb only ever show an hour when they do. To me thats like cutting to the Stairway solo. So much context lost! You need the 5-10 mins of post Tender in-the-round singing, you need Albarn weeping on the riser and everything else that went on before you get to that primal "GLASTONBURY" scream in The Universal.

Can't wait to re-live it properly. Hopefully it lives up to my memory...

Pretty much sums it up for me too! Loving this little preview now. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This Blur set is the one that forced me into action. I'd been watching for years saying I must go there one year. After this I just had to go. One of my biggest regrets is how late I left it and that I didn't get to see this live. 

Exactly the same in terms of thought process and regret at not going much, much sooner.