BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really feel like everyone else was on a different planet. That Kanye set is one of my favourites.

If I’m going to see Kanye West, I want to see Kanye West. All this theatrical / silly stuff he does is part of the package. 

Kanye stopping the set to get on a cherry picker only to appear right in the middle of the sky above me is exactly what I signed up for. Some of you are just not on that level. Sorry xxx

I missed most of it but managed to get in against the flow of the crowd heading in the opposite direction. 

The long and slightly confusing delay before he appeared up in the crane and the restarting after he fluffed the start of a few tunes didn’t help my enjoyment levels.

Each to their own of course.

Just sent this to a friend and we're both watching the Foo Fighters set that our extended group were all together for.

Lots are on a beer-toilet run when I took the video, but it's funny how you can see the different levels the rest of us are all at, haha.

As it happens, this was a reeeeally good spot for us, must have been on a bit of raised ground because we could see really well.

Also good for that pre-headliner ambience.

Edited by Simpo

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

I missed most of it but managed to get in against the flow of the crowd heading in the opposite direction. 

The long and slightly confusing delay before he appeared up in the crane and the restarting after he fluffed the start of a few tunes didn’t help my enjoyment levels.

Each to their own of course.

Yes, probably ok if you were near the front (like matt by the sounds of it) but we were relatively far back and didn’t have a clue what was going on half the time.

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The Killers.

Would much rather have been at the chems, but some of my mates are real pyramid headliner whores and it’s a nightmare to ever get them away from there.

I did break away with another mate a few years previously to see them and left the others to watch the Who.

They are around a lot, so at least you got that chance!

Gonna watch that Chems set again now. I can remember enough of it, that I loved it at the time. Didn't want it to end.

Last time I watched it, though I thought it dragged a mite  😄

As if there's only one tune from Maribou State on Youtube... is the whole set available anywhere? That was my stand out. Holly Walker is immense.

Edited by Flying_Hellfish

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Jay-Z was my first Pyramid headliner at my first ever Glastonbury. Was such a wide eyed child despite being in my late 20s. Haven't watched it back since and it's fucking incredible.

I knew I liked you. Exact same for me - except I'd just left School / college/ sixth form - ...I was a wide eyed naive 18 year old any way you cut it.

...sorry... box of burrow hill is getting a seeing to tonight. Disclosure 2014 on the TV while me and the Mrs discuss why we left Bastille and still saw Disclosure the year before... these true pub level (pre google) debates are fun.

• Upvote 1

OK. watching the Chems set and I am actually brought to tears.

Not only a great set, but the interaction of the crowd. Hugging, bouncing... even chatting to each other at close proximity.

I remember I had excess glow-sticks so was handing them out to revellers, families and youngsters. So far from the current situation 😥

45 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The Killers.

Would much rather have been at the chems, but some of my mates are real pyramid headliner whores and it’s a nightmare to ever get them away from there.

I did break away with another mate a few years previously to see them and left the others to watch the Who.

We all know this type. Why do they do it. We could help them as we obviously have far superior plans, but sadly they always know better.

Charm x

Edited by Charm
  • Upvote 1

So I watched that Oasis set from 1994.

Fuck me, it's like they just knew they were going to be it. .

Like they're on barbiturates and cocaine at the same time. So relaxed and yet so confident. They don't miss a beat. Liams voice and delivery is astonishing.

The only uncool thing is Liams outfit. That collar over that sweatshirt? It's a bit eighties school jumper.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Thank you for Jay Z for opening the door to Glasto and hip hop and creating a world where Kanye and Kendrick Lamar can be booked.

Still remember all the people in bitter tears of outrage when he was announced- it was like when Bob Dylan went electric 😂

There was a couple at the festival on the Friday walking around with a T-shirt crying about him saying "c-Rap music" or something. Do these people feel like maybe they over-reacted now? 

I'm gonna have to rewatch that Jay Z set.  I've had the audio since a few days after the gig but I've never seen the video back.  It was my first night back at the Pyramid after an 8 year gap; since that Bowie gig.  That run of Manu Chao - Amy Winehouse - Jay Z was great.  Well Winehouse was a bit tragic, she was in a bad way, but I'm still glad I saw her.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

So I watched that Oasis set from 1994.

Fuck me, it's like they just knew they were going to be it. .

Like they're on barbiturates and cocaine at the same time. So relaxed and yet so confident. They don't miss a beat. Liams voice and delivery is astonishing.

If I had a time machine I’d be off to NME Stage to see that, plus Blur... Radiohead... Pulp... Spiritualised...on that same stage, on the same day!

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm gonna have to rewatch that Jay Z set.  I've had the audio since a few days after the gig but I've never seen the video back.  It was my first night back at the Pyramid after an 8 year gap; since that Bowie gig.  That run of Manu Chao - Amy Winehouse - Jay Z was great.  Well Winehouse was a bit tragic, she was in a bad way, but I'm still glad I saw her.

I loved that Manu Chao set! Think he headlined Jazzworld that year too. Think due to indecision I ended up wandering between headliners saw some of Jay-Z, some of Massive Attack on the Other stage

Jay Z was seminal. 

The furore his announcement caused seemed so ridiculous. 

In hindsight it’s probably one of the biggest/best decisions Emily ever made. 

If you’re not moving forward, you’re standing still. 

This was a giant leap forward. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Wayne Rooney make a cameo on the iplayer during Beyoncé? 

Turns out that was all a misunderstanding! She'd heard he was a huge fan of Destiny's Child's biggest hit - transpired he'd actually said 'I'm a huge fan of incontinent women'.

8 hours ago, Flying_Hellfish said:

They are around a lot, so at least you got that chance!

Gonna watch that Chems set again now. I can remember enough of it, that I loved it at the time. Didn't want it to end.

Last time I watched it, though I thought it dragged a mite  😄

As if there's only one tune from Maribou State on Youtube... is the whole set available anywhere? That was my stand out. Holly Walker is immense.

The whole Maribou State set is on iplayer now.

One of my favourites from last year. A chilled West Holts. 

Edited by Jack Nottm
spelling

9 hours ago, Simpo said:

Bit silly from BBC not including this as context for that Jay-Z intro... Funny looking back on it now.

Funny looking back on this whole set now, I was wondering if it would hold up, I reckon it does.. Seems a different world now

I agree!  It annoys me this video is never shown just before his entrance...I was right in the middle of the crowd for Jay-Z and that video whipped the crowd into a frenzy prior to the Wonderwall walk on.