BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Glastonbury pyramid seems to have influenced the Beychella set up.

Otherwise, I do agree. Topping that seems beyond the arts of man.

The only connecting thread between the two is that she knew exactly where she was and understood the moment at the time. Other than that, they are 2 different performances with 2 different mindsets. Coachella was a much bigger political/cultural statement than Glasto was. I think you should watch the Netflix movie to see exactly what she was attempting to accomplish and such.

I think you also have to understand that as big of a deal it was in the uk, that yes, it was a thing that people got to experience through youtube and such later on Around the world, but not just anyone was able to participate  if they so chose to with glasto. What I mean is, you couldnt try to buy a ticket knowing she was on the bill. There wasnt an influx of the core Beyonce fanbase coming to the festival for the first time and experiencing what it has to offer and maybe wanting to come back in later years. Whereas with Coachella thats a possibility for anyone who was able to get a ticket In the general sale or afford one via the aftermarket. Youre not crossing your fingers hoping your favorite artist is on the line up, you know and can make your decision. Yeah, it doesnt totally matter with Glasto because of what it is in that its more than the music, but for her audience, they cant take that kind of gamble, especially going all the way to the UK from another country.

It’s so weird watching all these sets. It takes me back to my pre Glastonbury years, I’d literally watch it all weekend and so wish I was there, and then I’d forget about it and never got tickets until I finally pulled myself together.

Since I’ve been I’ve rarely watched any sets back because sometimes I just find it depressing more than anything. I’ve managed to break the back of that feeling over the past couple of days and I’m now enjoying it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

The only connecting thread between the two is that she knew exactly where she was and understood the moment at the time. Other than that, they are 2 different performances with 2 different mindsets. Coachella was a much bigger political/cultural statement than Glasto was. I think you should watch the Netflix movie to see exactly what she was attempting to accomplish and such.

I think you also have to understand that as big of a deal it was in the uk, that yes, it was a thing that people got to experience through youtube and such later on Around the world, but not just anyone was able to participate  if they so chose to with glasto. What I mean is, you couldnt try to buy a ticket knowing she was on the bill. There wasnt an influx of the core Beyonce fanbase coming to the festival for the first time and experiencing what it has to offer and maybe wanting to come back in later years. Whereas with Coachella thats a possibility for anyone who was able to get a ticket In the general sale or afford one via the aftermarket. Youre not crossing your fingers hoping your favorite artist is on the line up, you know and can make your decision. Yeah, it doesnt totally matter with Glasto because of what it is in that its more than the music, but for her audience, they cant take that kind of gamble, especially going all the way to the UK from another country.

Really?

9 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

If only they'd booked Kanye when he was good

He was still good when he headlined. You just got him before Life Of Pablo and was slowly morphing into what he has ended up at right now. If he had be able to have been booked during Yeezus and pulled off that show on the Pyramid he would be regarded as an all timer with the performance most likely.

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

He was still good when he headlined. You just got him before Life Of Pablo and was slowly morphing into what he has ended up at right now. If he had be able to have been booked during Yeezus and pulled off that show on the Pyramid he would be regarded as an all timer with the performance most likely.

I was at his Big Chill show in 2011 and that he was past it by then for me. Only stuck that one out because 2manydjs were on after if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To be fair, he did get booked in the Yeezus era and his set featured a number of big tunes from that album.

Would've loved him to have a proper backing band and singers. Especially for blood on the leaves, think that could've been legendary with full band accompaniment 

47 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

What's the relevance of Jay Z opening with Oasis?

Bit silly from BBC not including this as context for that Jay-Z intro... Funny looking back on it now.

Funny looking back on this whole set now, I was wondering if it would hold up, I reckon it does.. Seems a different world now

I really feel like everyone else was on a different planet. That Kanye set is one of my favourites.

If I’m going to see Kanye West, I want to see Kanye West. All this theatrical / silly stuff he does is part of the package. 

Kanye stopping the set to get on a cherry picker only to appear right in the middle of the sky above me is exactly what I signed up for. Some of you are just not on that level. Sorry xxx

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really feel like everyone else was on a different planet. That Kanye set is one of my favourites.

If I’m going to see Kanye West, I want to see Kanye West. All this theatrical / silly stuff he does is part of the package. 

Kanye stopping the set to get on a cherry picker only to appear right in the middle of the sky above me is exactly what I signed up for. Some of you are just not on that level. Sorry xxx

Not a huge fan but youre right - the performance was seminal. Proper moment

6 minutes ago, Flying_Hellfish said:

Classic flag!

Where were you instead?

Such a clashfest, that one. I did go the Chems but there was no way I could spot flags 😄

The Killers.

Would much rather have been at the chems, but some of my mates are real pyramid headliner whores and it’s a nightmare to ever get them away from there.

I did break away with another mate a few years previously to see them and left the others to watch the Who.