BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Re-watched all of Metallica this morning and just a little word on how good this film is to tee up the riskiest rock booking Glasto have ever made. I think you only really get a sense of it when hearing the crowd reaction (from 5.15 below is the good bit)

They did everything right – first off, T-shirts on sale let people know they were taking the criticism with a wry smile. Julien Temple on production as a hat tip to the 2006 film. Then they establish a pro-animal stance to knock PETA complaints on the head, while pitting themselves as anti-toff (always a winner). Shots of the upper class getting sniped are pure slapstick, quintessential Python-esque comedy.

Then the reveal of the bears as a cheeky disguised Metallica, then with the unharmed fox on a plinth to close, it just drills it in. Yeah, they're crass Americans who love guns and riffs but they have studied the fest and know what it takes to win people over. They love you and they're gonna make you love them. That iconic Metallica logo remade as Glastallica and away they go, riffs from the second they walk on stage.

Lots of humble thanks to Emily and Michael and a good dose of arrogance as stage banter, Hetfield being very funny when asking the crowd if they "really like this stuff?", the whole shebang. And the fucking tunes get a better reaction then they probably expected, so they play off that surprisingly receptive energy to the end.

Nailed it. Wish so badly I was there.

Man, I couldn't say it better. I was there, fucking amazing. I cry even thinking about it. Lars has been there every year since.

2 minutes ago, andyhh said:

They actually showed the naked guy for half a second at the start of My Hero...the legend is real!

First I've heard of a naked guy.

I have to admit The Foos got the better of me. Had to exit over the crush barrier in the middle a couple of numbers before the end. Too much brandy and was busting.

I think I was stood next to Arabella Weir near said barrier for quite a bit during this.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ll give you an upvote even though you fucked up the last panel by not changing it to Glastonbury.

Unless that’s part of the joke and I’ve forgotten...

It's too hot man ahah, I probably changed a random word in a work email to Glastonbury instead

• Upvote 1

I've got no real love for Foo Fighters but I like it coz it takes me back to watching the stream of their glasto announcement gig and how happy I was for whatshissocks getting in for it. Which is a memory I can only really relay on here because coz I keep my talking about the obsessive forum I read every day post to a minimum with real humans.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Watching Arcade Fire and still baffled why they thought playing Flashbulb Eyes second/at all was a good idea - absolute momentum killer, that was thankfully followed by the powerhouse of Power Out in to Rebellion.
Don’t think I’ve watched this since I was there on the night and it’s giving me the wobbly lips. I know it doesn’t tend to get mentioned alongside the iconic headliners, but for me they were as close to perfection as an act who played Flashbulb Eyes second could be.

I thought exactly the same, watching it back today. Baffling choice. Also the Glasto soundclash/Wobbly heads bit was awks. I think I preferred their 2007 set, tbh.

Would love to see them return to the Pyramid. Even doing the EN tour set would see them recognised as one of the best headline acts seen there.

42 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yeah, the next test is will they show the fuckity fuckity fuck fuck fuck bit when he decided to out swear the Adele record from the previous year.?

They kept it in those Mavericks!

Edited by andyhh

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wake Up had that effect on me - especially the singalong at the end as they're going off

Everyone was still singing that all the way down to the south east corner! Immense time. 

One of my biggest glasto regrets was carrying on that night, getting smashed and joining the straight thru crew, essentially erasing most of my memories of my fave band on the pyramid!