BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

26 minutes ago, sime said:

This Cure set was majestic! One of my top five Glastonbury performances ever.

Absolutely - watched that open jawed. Their sound man got it spot on. Just sounded crystal clear and perfect.

Edited by Northtim
  • Upvote 2

Stoked about Metallica, I was dragged away by my entire group after five songs. Was very excited to go to Despacio and had an amazing time but I've never left a set I was enjoying anywhere near that much. First time I will have seen the rest.

5 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Think your TV might be broken 😂 Online link below

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0079290

Yeah just read an article on virgin media having big outages today. when it works it is great. 🙄

thanks for the link. 

43 minutes ago, Fanbloodytastic said:

And mine! It was absolutely stunning from start to finish. So glad I was there.

Totally. The whole set was a real Glastonbury moment!

34 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Absolutely - watched that open jawed. Their sound man got it spot on. Just sounded crystal clear and perfect.

Yeah the sound was incredible!

I adore that LCD set, I was worried it wouldn’t be what i remembered it to be but it really really is, I ditched my group to be at this and that didn’t matter. 

It is hands down the best live music I have been at and amazingly, despite how weird this year has been so far, I actually feel in the same frame of mind I got into when I was there live, which is sort of sad and happy at the same time, but good!

Ok enough tequila now.

21 minutes ago, sime said:

Totally. The whole set was a real Glastonbury moment!

Fully expect that I'm gonna cop some flak for this but I was there, plus I've now watched The Cure back twice on screen and what I felt at the time still remains.

I like the Cure's big songs but not a diehard fan as such.

I watched the entire thing and I agree that the sound was pin sharp and best I've heard, and the light show and spectacle in the round was well produced.. The band were excellent musicians and clearly gave their all. They were far 'rockier/heavier' than I was expecting and was pleasurably surprised with that.

But.....

I nearly left halfway through the first section to go and see something else but was persuaded to stay. 

What was missing was the buzz, the people freaking out and going mad factor, the sense that I wanted to jump madly up and down and so on.

What there was in a crowd around me, left middle of the stage by the sound towers, was a crowd that actually thinned quite a bit during the first hour, everyone was just sort of jigging gently up and down, those that stayed were chatting away, and even those that were enjoying it were more just watching the performance than getting involved in it. Even the crowd reaction, cheers and applause was somewhat muted. Even now on iPlayer, shots of the crowd show them to pretty quiet and passive.

II had a sense that it was a technical tour de force and a spectacle but not a gut pulling 'moment' that others obviously felt.

Watched replays of it on screen and still find my attention wandering looking the lighting etc rather than getting an emotional reaction like LCD or some others. My group was split, some loved it, and some were ambivalent.

Having said that the encore was pretty good and went some way to negating what I thought was a turgid first section.

(mind you I felt the same about Radiohead's nurdling first bit when they headlined although that was better to watch on screen because at least you could see the band on the replays).

Bring on the outraged replies........

• Upvote 1