BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

1 hour ago, AlParkin03 said:

glastoexperienceyears.jpg

That's why you always ask nicely! :p

I wrote this up more for people who aren't as much a Glastonbury buff as many are on here, but here's my recommendations from the Beeb anyway:

*Thursday*

Nick Cave - If it's 2013 then there's a... staggering moment that happens during Stagger Lee that is one of those Glastonbury moments. If it's 1998 then it's a welcome older set compared to the more modern selection they have here. They will both be on iplayer

Idles 2019 - Set of the festival as far as I can tell from last year, I wish I was there. Tears.

LCD Soundsystem 2016 - Best crowd I've ever been a part of, the whole thing builds and builds, as James acknowledges it's Day 5 of the muddiest glastonbury ever, yet everyone finds the last bank of energy inside them to *go for it* All that with one of the best collections of songs of the 21st century.

The Cure 2019 - Another I wish I was there for. I was entranced watching this on TV last year. Fat Bob's still got it.

"Glastonbury" (2006) - BBC4, 10pm. Fantastic documentary from Julien Temple, which shows better than videos of live sets why it's so special to so many people.

Radiohead 1997 - OK Computer has just come out, Glastonbury is on the BBC for the first time, it's a mudbath, and a bunch of weirdos hit the big time. An iconic moment in British music

*Friday*

Mark Ronson 2015 - Lots of fun, guests aplenty

The xx 2017 - Big mistake not being there at the Pyramid myself for this. The slot before the headliners is notoriously tricky, and I think you have to be attuned to the feeling of the festival to pull it off. Playing before Radiohead, this lot create a wonderful symbiosis with the crowd, feeding off each other. It culminates in an impossibly euphoric last 20 minutes or so. Watch that bit if nothing else.

Foo Fighters 2017 - Okay, I know. But the atmosphere that night was *big*. The Foos whole mass appeal thing is perfect for making the most of being Pyramid headliners, and I think it comes across even through the camera lens. As Grohl says at one point "Look, it's a naked guy! You know it's a good night when there's a naked guy" (BBC, don't cut the naked guy, cowards)

Elbow 2011 - BBC4, 9pm. This is *that* performance. The best Glaston sets are the ones where the band and crowd are on the same level, and Elbow are past masters at that. Just smiles everywhere.

Beyonce 2011 - BBC2, 10pm. I think this is a massive moment for the festival, and Beyonce. In so many ways widening the definition of what a Glastonbury headliner can be, and had everyone talking and in love.

Jay-Z 2008 - I remember the controversy surrounding Hova's booking being *nuts*! As silly as that was, it made it a big cultural event, and put a lot of eyes on the festival. Note, this was a time when Leeds Festival sold out in seconds, and Glastonbury sold out only the day before the festival.... Best headliner intro ever? It'll be fascinating to look back on this 12 years on.

*Saturday*

Janelle Monae - While I would adore it to be the 2011 set, as I remember this lil dynamo I'd never heard of making my jaw drop to the floor with her unbelievable showmanship, I reckon it'll be last year's, which is arguably better. But I just wanna see that 2011 show again, damn. Janelle Monae rules.

Kano 2017 - I love my hip-hop with a backing band, and this set is a good example. It's also a Sunday night headline set, from the beautiful Park Stage, and it all combines for a punchy performance.

Bloc Party 2009 - An underrated band I reckon, here they are headlining the Other Stage 2009 3 albums deep. Excellent live too, looking forward to watching this one.

Oasis 1994 - Cool that they've got this one from Channel 4, who hosted the first 2 years of TV coverage. As they've no album out at this point, they're on the NME (now Other) Stage early afternoon. But it's still Oasis, all the ingredients of their imminent stardom is there. And a rare glimpse of 90s Glaston on this list.

Florence + the Machine 2016 - Florence Welch lives and breathes Glastonbury, so this opportunity falling in to her lap was perfect. Full flow Flo is quite a thing.

Toots and the Maytals 2010 - BBC4, 7.30pm. If you go to Glaston and don't experience reggae at some point during your stay, you've probably done it wrong.

Chemical Brothers 2000 - BBC4, 10.20pm. Chems have become the house band in many ways, and here they are headlining the Pyramid at the last festival before the superfence went up, and anywhere from 100,000 to 300,000 jumped the fence. Mad. Followed by other highlights from that festival's BBC coverage.

*Sunday*

Bon Iver 2009 - I've not seen all of this set, but what I have is what made Bon Iver click for me.

Michael Kiwanuka 2019 - Have you heard the material he's been putting out lately?? Get to know.

Nile Rodgers & Chic 2017 - BBC4, 8pm. Not the sheer adoration fest of his victory lap headlining West Holts from a few years before, but here Nile slays the Pyramid with ease, and gets everyone blubbing with his nice stories.

David Bowie 2000 - BBC2, 9.30pm. Bowie's rare run-through of his greatest hits is broadcast in full for the first time ever. Say no more.

*Monday*

Lionel Richie 2015 - "OH MY GOD! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!" It's great when the artists get flummoxed by the sheer power of the Glastonbury audience. This was a joy to be at. Rich tea biscuits flying everywhere.

Christine + the Queens 2019 - This is art.

Arctic Monkeys 2013 - Alex Turner, boy no more, debuts new music and his new greasy persona, much to the chagrin of some folk. A bit divisive this one, I love it.

PJ Harvey 2004 - Never seen this one, looking forward to it. The early 2000s was a bit of a lull for the festival, relatively, as lineups were dull and the license being forced out of Eavis's hands and into Melvin Benn's sanitised the whole thing somewhat. Be interesting to see if that's reflected in the feeling of this performance.

Amy Winehouse 2007 - This is one of those shows that catapulted the artist to new heights. Supreme.

Blur 2009 - Everyone who was at this gig prays at the altar of its memory, it tops lists, it creates wistful smiles. That pure connection between band and audience is there for all to see. Magic!

--All the above, *and more* will also be watchable on demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evrj6q/artists/by/a-z

So other highlights are one of REM's headlining sets, ELO, Patti Smith.

But more than any other, please watch JAMIE XX headline the Park Stage. More than most, the this atmosphere, the sheer ecstasy of it all really comes through. I've watched it so many times on ruddy dailymotion of all places, that's how good it is!

Edited by Simpo
  • Upvote 8

44 minutes ago, Simpo said:

That's why you always ask nicely! 😛

I wrote this up more for people who aren't as much a Glastonbury buff as many are on here, but here's my recommendations from the Beeb anyway:

*Thursday*

Nick Cave - If it's 2013 then there's a... staggering moment that happens during Stagger Lee that is one of those Glastonbury moments. If it's 1998 then it's a welcome older set compared to the more modern selection they have here. They will both be on iplayer

Idles 2019 - Set of the festival as far as I can tell from last year, I wish I was there. Tears.

LCD Soundsystem 2016 - Best crowd I've ever been a part of, the whole thing builds and builds, as James acknowledges it's Day 5 of the muddiest glastonbury ever, yet everyone finds the last bank of energy inside them to *go for it* All that with one of the best collections of songs of the 21st century.

The Cure 2019 - Another I wish I was there for. I was entranced watching this on TV last year. Fat Bob's still got it.

"Glastonbury" (2006) - BBC4, 10pm. Fantastic documentary from Julien Temple, which shows better than videos of live sets why it's so special to so many people.

Radiohead 1997 - OK Computer has just come out, Glastonbury is on the BBC for the first time, it's a mudbath, and a bunch of weirdos hit the big time. An iconic moment in British music

*Friday*

Mark Ronson 2015 - Lots of fun, guests aplenty

The xx 2017 - Big mistake not being there at the Pyramid myself for this. The slot before the headliners is notoriously tricky, and I think you have to be attuned to the feeling of the festival to pull it off. Playing before Radiohead, this lot create a wonderful symbiosis with the crowd, feeding off each other. It culminates in an impossibly euphoric last 20 minutes or so. Watch that bit if nothing else.

Foo Fighters 2017 - Okay, I know. But the atmosphere that night was *big*. The Foos whole mass appeal thing is perfect for making the most of being Pyramid headliners, and I think it comes across even through the camera lens. As Grohl says at one point "Look, it's a naked guy! You know it's a good night when there's a naked guy" (BBC, don't cut the naked guy, cowards)

Elbow 2011 - BBC4, 9pm. This is *that* performance. The best Glaston sets are the ones where the band and crowd are on the same level, and Elbow are past masters at that. Just smiles everywhere.

Beyonce 2011 - BBC2, 10pm. I think this is a massive moment for the festival, and Beyonce. In so many ways widening the definition of what a Glastonbury headliner can be, and had everyone talking and in love.

Jay-Z 2008 - I remember the controversy surrounding Hova's booking being *nuts*! As silly as that was, it made it a big cultural event, and put a lot of eyes on the festival. Note, this was a time when Leeds Festival sold out in seconds, and Glastonbury sold out only the day before the festival.... Best headliner intro ever? It'll be fascinating to look back on this 12 years on.

*Saturday*

Janelle Monae - While I would adore it to be the 2011 set, as I remember this lil dynamo I'd never heard of making my jaw drop to the floor with her unbelievable showmanship, I reckon it'll be last year's, which is arguably better. But I just wanna see that 2011 show again, damn. Janelle Monae rules.

Kano 2017 - I love my hip-hop with a backing band, and this set is a good example. It's also a Sunday night headline set, from the beautiful Park Stage, and it all combines for a punchy performance.

Bloc Party 2009 - An underrated band I reckon, here they are headlining the Other Stage 2009 3 albums deep. Excellent live too, looking forward to watching this one.

Oasis 1994 - Cool that they've got this one from Channel 4, who hosted the first 2 years of TV coverage. As they've no album out at this point, they're on the NME (now Other) Stage early afternoon. But it's still Oasis, all the ingredients of their imminent stardom is there. And a rare glimpse of 90s Glaston on this list.

Florence + the Machine 2016 - Florence Welch lives and breathes Glastonbury, so this opportunity falling in to her lap was perfect. Full flow Flo is quite a thing.

Toots and the Maytals 2010 - BBC4, 7.30pm. If you go to Glaston and don't experience reggae at some point during your stay, you've probably done it wrong.

Chemical Brothers 2000 - BBC4, 10.20pm. Chems have become the house band in many ways, and here they are headlining the Pyramid at the last festival before the superfence went up, and anywhere from 100,000 to 300,000 jumped the fence. Mad. Followed by other highlights from that festival's BBC coverage.

*Sunday*

Bon Iver 2009 - I've not seen all of this set, but what I have is what made Bon Iver click for me.

Michael Kiwanuka 2019 - Have you heard the material he's been putting out lately?? Get to know.

Nile Rodgers & Chic 2017 - BBC4, 8pm. Not the sheer adoration fest of his victory lap headlining West Holts from a few years before, but here Nile slays the Pyramid with ease, and gets everyone blubbing with his nice stories.

David Bowie 2000 - BBC2, 9.30pm. Bowie's rare run-through of his greatest hits is broadcast in full for the first time ever. Say no more.

*Monday*

Lionel Richie 2015 - "OH MY GOD! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!" It's great when the artists get flummoxed by the sheer power of the Glastonbury audience. This was a joy to be at. Rich tea biscuits flying everywhere.

Christine + the Queens 2019 - This is art.

Arctic Monkeys 2013 - Alex Turner, boy no more, debuts new music and his new greasy persona, much to the chagrin of some folk. A bit divisive this one, I love it.

PJ Harvey 2004 - Never seen this one, looking forward to it. The early 2000s was a bit of a lull for the festival, relatively, as lineups were dull and the license being forced out of Eavis's hands and into Melvin Benn's sanitised the whole thing somewhat. Be interesting to see if that's reflected in the feeling of this performance.

Amy Winehouse 2007 - This is one of those shows that catapulted the artist to new heights. Supreme.

Blur 2009 - Everyone who was at this gig prays at the altar of its memory, it tops lists, it creates wistful smiles. That pure connection between band and audience is there for all to see. Magic!

--All the above, *and more* will also be watchable on demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evrj6q/artists/by/a-z

So other highlights are one of REM's headlining sets, ELO, Patti Smith.

But more than any other, please watch JAMIE XX headline the Park Stage. More than most, the this atmosphere, the sheer ecstasy of it all really comes through. I've watched it so many times on ruddy dailymotion of all places, that's how good it is!

This is great 🙂

7 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yeah, out of all the years I don't understand why they've gone for 2011?

Better than them showing 2019, Kylie and Dolly yet again, which seem to be on every few months. Waddayamean, they are showing them yet again?

i can recommend listening to BBC Sounds five part mini podcasts about the 5 decades ( split into 15 minutes segments ) narrated and taken from the 50 years anniversary book. Excellent stuff and although i've seen the Julien temple film numerous times ( and will watch again on Thursday :) ) i still thoroughly enjoyed this, i would give it a listen. Certainly brought a lump to my throat.

Special Guest Slots are as follows

Thu 25 - 21:00 - 23:30 (1 hour 30 mins)
Sun 28 - 15:30 - 16:30 (1 hour)
Mon 29 - 13:30 - 15:00 (1 hour 30 mins)

So I would say that it's probably two headliners and one Sunday Legends.

The Glastonbury Experience Channel has been added to the Clashfinder now too.
https://clashfinder.com/s/g2020/

Edited by Dukeicon

11 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Special Guest Slots are as follows

Thu 25 - 21:00 - 23:30 (1 hour 30 mins)
Sun 28 - 15:30 - 16:30 (1 hour)
Mon 29 - 13:30 - 15:00 (1 hour 30 mins)

So I would say that it's probably two headliners and one Sunday Legends.

The Glastonbury Experience Channel has been added to the Clashfinder now too.
https://clashfinder.com/s/g2020/

Brilliant thank you :) 

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

90 mins of Blur 2009? Lot more than has been shown to date... along with Bowie this is the clear highlight for me.

45 mins of it is talking heads from celebrity figures who were there in the crowd (Gail Porter, Pete Burns, Preston from the Ordinary Boys etc) along with an exclusive tour round Alex James's cheese farm.

13 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

90 mins of Blur 2009? Lot more than has been shown to date... along with Bowie this is the clear highlight for me.

It might only be 60 mins. There's no end times for each day, so I took the set length of that show. The original is only 60 mins but they could be showing the whole thing now but unsure.

Now this sounds completely false to me but I wanted to share it just incase. 

Someone on Glasto chat mentioned that they heard on Radio Oxford that one of their reporters has seen Macca around Glastonbury, I've asked my local sources if they've seen anything at all but other than the bbc trucks they haven't... if this is true I'll eat my hat. 

hmmmm, maybe a televised macca special moment on the pyramid at some point over the weekend.

I reckon just him and piano, Long and winding road and Let it be, a few cows and a lovely sunset. The last ones not a song by the way.

Edited by Cooter

At least they're not playing the 2011 headline set by U2. Pity the 2014 Kasabian one isn't there as I lost it when they replaced my Tivo box (I'd kept it as you can clearly see me on the rail in a less than great condition). 

8 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Now this sounds completely false to me but I wanted to share it just incase. 

Someone on Glasto chat mentioned that they heard on Radio Oxford that one of their reporters has seen Macca around Glastonbury, I've asked my local sources if they've seen anything at all but other than the bbc trucks they haven't... if this is true I'll eat my hat. 

So looks like they are going to potentially simulcast or just have select sets live stream on the bbc music youtube channel. Theres a handful of clips ( seem to be placeholders to the set ) that are premiering at the same time as when the scheduled iplayer sets will be shown on the glasto experience page.