Please Do Not Visit Worthy Farm

parsonjack

Much quieter here today. Problem is the main car park is closed so people are parking in the small village & walking up & down the beach when the tide is in at lunch so not much room to get passed people, especially on the paths/shingle to get the sandy bit.

A025F0FB-A560-419E-BB40-FCD9A827F6F6.jpeg

6 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I'm very near Saunton. It would take me 10-15 minutes to get there with no traffic, and I haven't been there since lockdown. I've been to a dog walking beach on the estuary, which is closer, once since mid-March. 

I'm very aware I'm lucky to live in the countryside and on the coast. I'm not suggesting the beaches belong to local people (pitchfork is staying in the shed). Tourism is important to us down here. 

But driving an hour to go to the beach on the hottest day of the year is stupid and irresponsible. At a guess, there must be around a million people living within an hour of Saunton but the car park can accommodate about 200-300 cars. I've seen loads of footage which shows absolute chaos and very little social distancing, as it just isn't possible with so many people trying to get into such a small space. This was the case at several other local beaches too. 

People do seem to be entitled, selfish and not prepared to sacrifice a day or two on the beach for their own wellbeing and that of others. 

I think it's a pretty sad reflection on society.  

On top of all that, it's got worse this morning - I've been sent pictures by a few people showing people camping near to the beaches. In one case there were three cars/vans of people who'd travelled from Bournemouth (you've got your own sodding beaches!) and had camped in a private lane, and other cases where people simply pulled into farmers' fields, camping amongst crops and on pasture. 

I'm all for individual liberty, but people should practise it in a thoughtful way and travelling hours for a jolly during a pandemic doesn't strike me as  socially responsible. 

The really stupid thing is, while it seems obvious to you, a lot of those people would've been genuinely shocked at how busy it was. That thousands of other people would have the same brilliant idea as them

Working in tourism I see it all the time. People who rock up to the Lake District on a sunny bank holiday weekend (stop it, it does happen) and then can't work out why they've been stuck in traffic for hours, can't find anywhere to park, the shops and cafes are all rammed, and then when they decide at 9pm that they'd quite like to stay the night, that they can't find a room anywhere

I saw tha Saunton thening on BBC and immeadiatly recognised the car park entrance :)

Been going there at least once a year since I was about 2 months old - my parents used to rent one of the cabins each summer for 2 weeks, amazing memories of going there every summer, started going on my own as soon as I could drive, and being a part time surfer, I try and get a surf in at least five or six times a year if I can, plus if i'm at all nearby, I'll pop there just for a walk on the beach. I'm mid forties now and have been there hundreds of times -  Braunton, Saunton Croyde and Puts are my favouirite places in the UK I reckon.

But theres no way I'm going to drive the 1.5 hours to get there with everything going on right now, thats just daft.

Edited by paulshane

On 5/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Tosses saw fit to light BBQs in the Spike area and then leave their crap there too.

Well that’s what people do during the festival so I guess they think it’s ok to do the same not during the festival.

Not condoning peoples actions or why GFL don't want people on/around the site but aren't there public footpaths and bridle ways criss crossing the site?  

Never looked at it in any details just from the way people talk on here over the years make it sounds as though there was.

1 hour ago, watsonjm said:

Not condoning peoples actions or why GFL don't want people on/around the site but aren't there public footpaths and bridle ways criss crossing the site?  

Never looked at it in any details just from the way people talk on here over the years make it sounds as though there was.

The public footpaths don't cross the site of the festival which is on private land. Spotted this;

NB: Worthy Farm and the surrounding farms are private property. The public footpaths on the edge of Worthy Farm don’t extend to land used by Glastonbury Festival. There’s no public access to the Pyramid Stage arena, Kidz Field, Stone Circle, Dragon Field or other Green Fields.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

On 5/20/2020 at 11:33 PM, Pinhead said:

And Bearded T is supposed to be going for Sept date - they may yet manage to pull it off...

I took a punt last week and bought a ticket. Even if they cancel they're going to roll tickets over to next year. My thinking is that it still could happen and if it does there's going to be a massive scramble for the remaining tickets by people who want to get a festival in this year. In their last post before it was postponed there were only 10% of tickets yet to be sold.

2 hours ago, watsonjm said:

The only footpaths in the area either don’t go into site or one goes through a couple of camping fields and heads up towards East Pennards so offers no close up views . 

Both Worthy Steanbow and other farms  have been tolerant it seems for years of folk rocking up and wandering where ever, in the future they may well be again( hopefully). I just hope people respect it . As for the litter or damage that’s just awful. 

Talking to a friend in the village last weekend there were cars parking all over Pylle Road . With a group from Liverpool that had driven down especially to do a lap. 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The public footpaths don't cross the site of the festival which is on private land. Spotted this;

NB: Worthy Farm and the surrounding farms are private property. The public footpaths on the edge of Worthy Farm don’t extend to land used by Glastonbury Festival. There’s no public access to the Pyramid Stage arena, Kidz Field, Stone Circle, Dragon Field or other Green Fields.

1 hour ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

The only footpaths in the area either don’t go into site or one goes through a couple of camping fields and heads up towards East Pennards so offers no close up views . 

Both Worthy Steanbow and other farms  have been tolerant it seems for years of folk rocking up and wandering where ever, in the future they may well be again( hopefully). I just hope people respect it . As for the litter or damage that’s just awful. 

Talking to a friend in the village last weekend there were cars parking all over Pylle Road . With a group from Liverpool that had driven down especially to do a lap. 

Thank you both for this. I had always assumed lots of paths given the farms seemed comfortable with people visiting in normal circumstances.  

• Like 1

I really  hope that everyone respects and obeys the instruction to stay away.  We’ve Walked the site a few times and stayed for a holiday in the village. We were struck by the beauty and pace of life that exists ‘over the fence’ and in particular the friendliness of those we spoke to. Hopefully the actions of some irresponsible individuals doesn’t spoil it for those who have been in the past and have never abused the privilege of being able to walk the paths. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I took a punt last week and bought a ticket. Even if they cancel they're going to roll tickets over to next year. My thinking is that it still could happen and if it does there's going to be a massive scramble for the remaining tickets by people who want to get a festival in this year. In their last post before it was postponed there were only 10% of tickets yet to be sold.

Depends on what becomes the 'new normal' doesnt it. If we still have any distancing measures or similar movement restrictions in place by then or even still next year, then all bets are off when it comes to festivals as a viable concept.

3 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I'm slightly related news, local councils are asking people not to visit the Tor for the solstice (stonehenge is closed)

https://www.yeovilexpress.co.uk/news/18474528.please-dont-visit-glastonbury-safe---including-summer-solstice/

similar just posted on fb by the festival 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, Yeo-vile idiot said:

How did they know they were from Liverpool? Sounds like bollocks.

11 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Because they said ‘ we’ve just driven from Liverpool for our first walk around the site’ when they were talking and asking for directions.

Ah, I reckon that’s conclusive evidence! If only a certain Mr Cummings had shown such refreshing honesty! 

14 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Seems today the neds  couldn’t read the big f*ck off sign on Mary’s gate saying not to enter. I assume they are illiterate and therefore thought it was an invitation to go have their picnic on the farm.

bastards

FFS.  I'm assuming they've left their crap behind as evidence of the visit....or did you actually see them?

14 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Seems today the neds  couldn’t read the big f*ck off sign on Mary’s gate saying not to enter. I assume they are illiterate and therefore thought it was an invitation to go have their picnic on the farm.

bastards

Unbelievable! But I guess they were testing their eye sight too!!! 

its somebody’s home A working farm! would they be happy if someone had a picnic in their garden!! I don’t think so!