Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Here in california the guidelines state if a “treatment” is available ( vaccine included )  then events can carry on in their normal capacity whenever the state gives the go ahead for that stage of reopening. I would assume its similar in the uk via the document.

the doc from yesterday doesn't go that far with what it lays out, but I reckon it can be put together with the 5 levels thing the govt released months ago, where (from what i remember) measures stay in place until the crisis is over in one way or another -  which would include a treatment I guess.

The point is: it's the new normal, but a normal which changes everything.

I've little interest in live music under these conditions. :( 

We just need to pray for this vaccine then. From what I’ve read the oxford one won’t exactly be a magic wand, but should hopefully be enough for the government to shift the guidance.

Unrelated really, but I went to the pub yesterday with some mates, 7 of us in total from five different households. We all sat together. No doubt this is happening nationally in most pubs, so the two household thing is certainly not being observed at the moment. Hard to see it being observed at any sort of festival that tries to go ahead.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

If we’re lucky theres a vaccine by the beginning of the year and then its a matter of what festivals and organizers will require of attendees when that comes about. Short term if there was something that could abate symptoms and such we could see things get closer to how they were. Glasto might just get in under the wire on this though from the look of it. Im sure plenty of people will still wear a mask though. Then you pray its a cool weekend and not a scorcher.

At Glastonbury?  I can't see that.  People are barely wearing them to the supermarket.

45 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We just need to pray for this vaccine then. From what I’ve read the oxford one won’t exactly be a magic wand, but should hopefully be enough for the government to shift the guidance.

Unrelated really, but I went to the pub yesterday with some mates, 7 of us in total from five different households. We all sat together. No doubt this is happening nationally in most pubs, so the two household thing is certainly not being observed at the moment. Hard to see it being observed at any sort of festival that tries to go ahead.

Related to this, I was thinking that most events  will likely just pay lip service to the new rules and then not bother to enforce them. I've not been to any pubs or shops apart from Tesco and the local hardware shop, but anecdotally very few places are sticking rigidly to any guidance. It is after all just guidance. I'm not saying that's right, but it definitely seems to have been the case in other industries so I'm not sure why music venues and events would be different once they get up and running.

I had a dream last night that I was at a festival and Pulp were playing. Ran over excitedly to join the crowd and realised everyone was sat down in little spaced out squares on the floor :( Clearly spending too much time in these threads!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it is, but it's also guidance with legal weight behind it, because local authorities can revoke a licence if they don't think the event is working to the guidance.

True. I did think that, but that applies to pubs too, doesn't it? And if pubs are getting away with flouting the rules then...

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

True. I did think that, but that applies to pubs too, doesn't it? And if pubs are getting away with flouting the rules then...

my perception is that pubs don't really get the same focus on an individual basis from the licencing peeps as festivals do, and by-nature the 'audience' size of a pub is somewhat limited and the issues to be managed small in number.

I'd say that if local authorities are going to be free and easy about letting festivals go ahead then they'll probably be insisting on face masks as a mandatory requirement.

25 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I could imagine some great crazy mask designs and a massive thread on here dedicated to it. I did nearly buy a light up flashing skull mask type thing a few years back but the cost put me off.

Could you imagine @crazyfool1 designs. Plus with his hat :)

I’ll have a think .... I’d struggle with masks at a warm one though ... I’ve just resorted to my face shield at work now as I can’t cope with the heat ... if I’m just nipping in shops though a mask is fine for a short periods but don’t think I could do an entire festival ... what I’m not sure of is why they would be mandatory for outside ? , when at the moment they aren’t inside for gyms and supermarkets ...

Just got sent this - sort of like a festival. Campsite open outside Bristol with festival-style entertainment and social distancing measures. Sounds alright (though not particularly wild, which is to be expected to be fair):

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/pop-up-paradise-campsite-near-4305764?fbclid=IwAR1a9GoMX9cGl_COH_dnGIo2EWMXQACrAHlxhmFLQL-dH27QVr-Bn7ddgZQ

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pubs should be under the same standards. In the u.s there are bars and restaurants that have gotten their liquor licenses suspended for covid violations. Nobody should be able to get around the rules set in place. If they shut down a few pubs in london and fine them, i bet everyone else will comply.

And how funny when I mention that a treatment for the short term could be the best bet.  Truly shows that its all about the money over here. Who cares if its only a stop gap and you have to spend money on it? You at least have something viable that eases pressure off creating a vaccine in half the time it normally takes. 

Edited by Suprefan

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

my perception is that pubs don't really get the same focus on an individual basis from the licencing peeps as festivals do, and by-nature the 'audience' size of a pub is somewhat limited and the issues to be managed small in number.

I'd say that if local authorities are going to be free and easy about letting festivals go ahead then they'll probably be insisting on face masks as a mandatory requirement.

The pub in Pilton has been visited by the police and licencing people several times in the days before they reopened last Saturday.  They have abided by the guidelines to the letter because they have been told they will be closed if they are found not doing so. Maybe it's just Mendip that are on point?

29 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Pubs should be under the same standards. In the u.s there are bars and restaurants that have gotten their liquor licenses suspended for covid violations. Nobody should be able to get around the rules set in place. If they shut down a few pubs in london and fine them, i bet everyone else will comply.

And how funny when I mention that a treatment for the short term could be the best bet.  Truly shows that its all about the money over here. Who cares if its only a stop gap and you have to spend money on it? You at least have something viable that eases pressure off creating a vaccine in half the time it normally takes. 

I agree with you for what its worth but I just don't see anyone getting shut down over it over here.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

And this is the long and short of it - it goes ahead but under such a diminished experience that it becomes simply not worth it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I agree with you for what its worth but I just don't see anyone getting shut down over it over here.

I think they should do it just to show theyre being serious. All it takes is one instance to get the rest to fall in line. 

when the beaches were first being closed in los angeles, many people thought they would not enforce the restrictions or the fines that came with it. Then when the first person that was caught got arrested for trespassing and fined $1000, people were crying that it wasnt fair. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Indoor gatherings should only be occurring in groups of up to 2 households (including support bubbles) while outdoor gatherings should only be occurring in groups of up to 2 households (or support bubbles), or a group of at most 6 people from any number of households.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/restaurants-offering-takeaway-or-delivery

It's my birthday next week and I'm arranging birthday drinks with friends but keeping it to 6 people outside.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:28 PM, Homer said:

Just got sent this - sort of like a festival. Campsite open outside Bristol with festival-style entertainment and social distancing measures. Sounds alright (though not particularly wild, which is to be expected to be fair):

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/pop-up-paradise-campsite-near-4305764?fbclid=IwAR1a9GoMX9cGl_COH_dnGIo2EWMXQACrAHlxhmFLQL-dH27QVr-Bn7ddgZQ

That looks interesting for a few days away. Lovely down by Chew Valley as well. See they have stopped bookings due to demand.

This could be good ;)

Thursday evening will be jointly curated by Breaking Convention, an organisation dedicated to understanding psychedelics

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

That looks interesting for a few days away. Lovely down by Chew Valley as well. See they have stopped bookings due to demand.

This could be good ;)

Thursday evening will be jointly curated by Breaking Convention, an organisation dedicated to understanding psychedelics

That's a shame about the bookings not being available. Got a week's holiday booked off at end of August. Decided this morning that driving to France prob not a goer sadly and thought this would be a good UK alternative!

https://paradisecamping.co.uk/

Edited by Homer

4 hours ago, Homer said:

That's a shame about the bookings not being available. Got a week's holiday booked off at end of August. Decided this morning that driving to France prob not a goer sadly and thought this would be a good UK alternative!

https://paradisecamping.co.uk/

Looks good, almost suspiciously so!

Wish there was something similar in the north west. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:10 PM, fred quimby said:

I could imagine some great crazy mask designs and a massive thread on here dedicated to it. I did nearly buy a light up flashing skull mask type thing a few years back but the cost put me off.

Could you imagine @crazyfool1 designs. Plus with his hat :)

Masks need to become fashionable. It’s the only way they will be used daily. Celebs and clothing brands need to start selling them. I’ve said this before but Glastonbury need their own branded masks. 

I think Sziget had some branded ones as dust is a major hazard at that festival so mask wearing is already a common sight. I imagine it will be the same for other euro festivals where rain is negligible. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll have a think .... I’d struggle with masks at a warm one though ... I’ve just resorted to my face shield at work now as I can’t cope with the heat ... if I’m just nipping in shops though a mask is fine for a short periods but don’t think I could do an entire festival ... what I’m not sure of is why they would be mandatory for outside ? , when at the moment they aren’t inside for gyms and supermarkets ...

They are a struggle now because we’re not used to wearing them. Will have to see how effective natural fibres are in masks like cotton. Much better than some of the plasticky ones that seem to keep the heat in 

I think face shields will become more common place for those working with the public. A lot of verbal communication is based on being able to see the person you’re talking to.