Jump to content

Future of festivals...


Pinrut
 Share

Recommended Posts

I suppose something has to give, if the demand won’t be there in the same way it was before Covid, the artists can’t really expect to be paid the same, they’re no longer worth as much. It doesn’t necessarily mean prices will drop for punters though, it will all depend on how many festivals end up folding equalising any demand. And if demand does drop for live events, will artists just switch to correspondingly smaller venues and just charge the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't see there being lower ticket costs at all. Lowering the artist fees will be to increase their margins for next year and try to mitigate some of the losses for this year I'd imagine? I think festivals that sold big pre Covid will still sell well next year (Pimevara sell out for example) and those that will struggle to sell tickets would likely go out of business even faster if they lowered ticket costs to try and stoke demand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

looks like we have a first festival going ahead - although only with 25% of its original capacity.

https://alfrescofestival.co.uk/boutique-alfresco-2020/

Personally I think it's an arse of an idea, tho I've no doubt it'll shift it's limited tickets.

This is interesting. Looking at their website I really can't see what they're actually doing that's different beyond selling less tickets. Is that it? And presumably ensuring campsites are spaced out? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is interesting. Looking at their website I really can't see what they're actually doing that's different beyond selling less tickets. Is that it? And presumably ensuring campsites are spaced out? 

I'm guessing there's also a lot less entertainment than they originally planned, and probably not within marquees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

looks like we have a first festival going ahead - although only with 25% of its original capacity.

https://alfrescofestival.co.uk/boutique-alfresco-2020/

Personally I think it's an arse of an idea, tho I've no doubt it'll shift it's limited tickets.

I wonder if the announcement of the support package for the industry means that more events like this will be trying to go ahead with those reduced numbers to avoid accusations of sitting there and enjoying government largesse for doing absolutely nothing? As much support as there was for the package there was also a fair amount of opposition (at least based on the shite I was reading), so it needs to be seen as meeting the govt halfway?

Edited by Quark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

I wonder if the announcement of the support package for the industry means that more events like this will be trying to go ahead with those reduced numbers to avoid accusations of sitting there and enjoying government largesse for doing absolutely nothing? As much support as there was for the package there was also a fair amount of opposition (at least based on the shite I was reading), so it needs to be seen as meeting the govt halfway?

maybe, I guess ... tho we need to see the govt plans for live music this week before we can really know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly, yep - they said something about that when they announced the money for the arts a few days ago.

Ah cool I didn't realise that! Hopefully some sort of timetable - I'd love to at least have an idea of when I might be able to get to some gigs of varying sizes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zeppelin said:

Ah cool I didn't realise that! Hopefully some sort of timetable - I'd love to at least have an idea of when I might be able to get to some gigs of varying sizes.

i don't think it's going to be anything as solid as a timetable, unfortunately. :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly, yep - they said something about that when they announced the money for the arts a few days ago.

 

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i don't think it's going to be anything as solid as a timetable, unfortunately. :( 

Some info must've been passed around already this week - I've had emails in the past 2 days about Elton John (scheduled November) Circa Waves (scheduled September) and Blossoms (scheduled August) all moving to next year, plus I know Texas rescheduled their end of year UK ones but not their European ones interestingly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

So I just found the new rules, and nothing resembling a normal festival will be happening any time soon 😭

Have you got a quick summary of the main issues? Or a link to them?

I think we'd written them off for this year, but does next year seem possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...