Sawdusty Surfer

Future of festivals...

On 5/22/2020 at 4:58 PM, crazyfool1 said:

i think the tickets is more likely than the festival at this stage ... was it 2009 that the festival last struggled to sell out ....  did that not coincide with last recession ? or have I got years wrong ? I know other factors were at play to ...

It was 2008. The thinking was that it was due to an exceptionally wet 2007 festival and possibly the bad press over Jay Z headlining.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Neil said:

I'm not accusing Melvin of telling porkies, but then again he's not going to say anything different to this. It's much like the Eavis "best festival ever".

And I don't really think it's anything more than a the sort of hopeful guess any of us could make, because there's no perfect info so everyone is pissing in the wind.

I'd like to think Melvin is right, but it's ultimately just his personal (and perhaps overly-hopeful) guess.

If we do get 30m doses of vaccine in October, with more types of vaccines landing over the next few months then you would think that spring festivals do look pretty likely.

52 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

It was 2008. The thinking was that it was due to an exceptionally wet 2007 festival and possibly the bad press over Jay Z headlining.

It also took a few weeks (months?) to sell out in 2009.  Best case scenario - everyone got a ticket and the festival sold out in plenty of time to the big day.

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If we do get 30m doses of vaccine in October, with more types of vaccines landing over the next few months then you would think that spring festivals do look pretty likely.

I've got no doubts about festies happening next summer, in all scenarios except if covid mutates into something more deadly.

Because the UK just can't afford to have the hospitality sector shut down for so long, and it's impossible to justify certain sectors being open (as they will be) without all sectors being open.

(it's a bit easier at the mo, because the weather is good enough to be outside. That ends in Sept).

I think it's possible gigs & festies going ahead will have the condition that attending might require every attendee to isolate if there's a cluster of infections linked to any event, but not if there's just one or two.