Future of festivals...

3 hours ago, TorontoScot said:

Article on Geoff Ellis (head of TRNSMT and T in the Park) running a test event in another country for 1000 people and how they would test before/after. The hope is if it’s successful the scottish government will allow the measures here. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/trnsmt-boss-hopes-new-covid-22897700

Good to see someone exploring possible avenues but still obstacles to overcome. As Geoff Ellis acknowledges one big sticking point is the cost of a test. Hopefully progress will be made to reduce this additional burden. Another big sticking point is social distancing which if required will impact viability. Many obstacles remain.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely- I am young and healthy so covid doesnt really matter much to me. I would probably do my own test a couple of days before, then if it was positive maybe wear a mask all weekend and sleep in

Would it be feasible just to simply say, if you are over about 50 and/or have underlying health issues, just stay the fuck at home and dont go to festivals until we have a vaccine in place? Its not th

Quite. Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

The fact that none of the multiple protests throughout the summer saw spikes shows good indication that it's not something that spreads easily outdoors.

Protesters have acquired covid but no data exists directly linking attendance to infection. As with a lot of things covid it's circumstantial evidence.

23 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Weren’t the Cheltenham festival and the Liverpool/Atletico match on the week beginning 9th March seen as superspreading events despite being outdoors? 

I think that one was the fact Madrid was shut down, so clearly in a bad state, yet thousands of Atletico fans were still allowed over to go on our trains/buses/airports/bars/hotels- and it sounded like a lot of them stayed for a couple of days too, which put them in contact with the general public more than a match between two local teams.

I guess Cheltenham is the same because most people stay, use hotels and bars etc so the days event is outside but the evening stuff is indoors. 

All problems any festival or event will need to overcome if we're still in "stop transmission" mode come the summer. You'd realistically need to make everyone arrive by car

On 10/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, TorontoScot said:

Article on Geoff Ellis (head of TRNSMT and T in the Park) running a test event in another country for 1000 people and how they would test before/after. The hope is if it’s successful the scottish government will allow the measures here. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/trnsmt-boss-hopes-new-covid-22897700

Scottish Govt says 'no' :( 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/live-gigs-virus-testing-plan-22909014?utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=28_October_2020_-_Full__Trial&utm_medium=email

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Not an outright rejection, more of a proceed with your plans and present the case, however these are the holes as we see them. On the latter the statement "physical distancing is expected to remain central to reducing transmission risk" is a huge barrier. We can only hope an early decline in covid infections in 2021 will allow this to be relaxed sooner rather than later. My associates in PH are not optimistic on that. 

Edited by Lycra
22 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Not an outright rejection, more of a proceed with your plans and present the case, however these are the holes as we see them.

the biggest 'hole' I can see is the responsibility of letting something go ahead which might later be shown as a bad decision. 

Even if the test goes very well I can't really see any individual in any role being happy to OK it and then perhaps have it come back on them. Why set yourself up as the fall guy?

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the biggest 'hole' I can see is the responsibility of letting something go ahead which might later be shown as a bad decision. 

Even if the test goes very well I can't really see any individual in any role being happy to OK it and then perhaps have it come back on them. Why set yourself up as the fall guy?

Scottish Government will want to be in control of all aspects of virus mitigation measures before it gives any approval. Its not going to be swayed majorly by an event in Eastern Europe in December it has no control over.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Disappointing, but not really surprising. Geoff Ellis is a persistent guy though, so hopefully he continues to pressure the Scottish Government to push forward with some sort of guidelines for the return of live music. 

Just did a survey that Cambridge Folk Festival sent out.  Questions about rapid testing, smaller capacity, mask wearing etc.  What would be essential for you to attend, what would you be prepared to put up with.... etc.  Good to see them exploring options.

In a way Glastonbury have an advantage in that the majority of people do not leave the site once they are in, so there is more that can be under control versus festivals where folks might leave a site and wander into town. 

Edited by Watergirl
typo
18 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Just did a survey that Cambridge Folk Festival sent out.  Questions about rapid tasting, smaller capacity, mask wearing etc.  What would be essential for you to attend, what would you be prepared to put up with.... etc.  Good to see them exploring options.

In a way Glastonbury have an advantage in that the majority of people do not leave the site once they are in, so there is more that can be under control versus festivals where folks might leave a site and wander into town. 

Masks would be very difficult to police but right now I'm imagining the uproar GFL would cause if they decided to downsize and say cancel 2/3rds of tickets 🤔

5 hours ago, Lycra said:

Masks would be very difficult to police but right now I'm imagining the uproar GFL would cause if they decided to downsize and say cancel 2/3rds of tickets 🤔

I don't for a second think they would do this, but only fair way to have lower capacity would be to cancel all tickets and have a new sale wouldn't it?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't for a second think they would do this, but only fair way to have lower capacity would be to cancel all tickets and have a new sale wouldn't it?

This is only my opinion but I think that it's all or nothing. 

Having a real dark moment today. Reading a BBC piece on how normality at 2019 levels won't come for 5 years. Given the accurate predictions about 2nd waves I'm inclined to believe them and am starting to think that festivals might never happen again. 

At least none of the ones we've known. 

Glastonbury might be the only one that could go into deep hibernation and survive but it wouldn't be the same festival on the other side.

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

A fairer way would be for the the ones who already have tickets to be put into a draw.

8 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

This is only my opinion but I think that it's all or nothing. 

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

A fairer way would be for the the ones who already have tickets to be put into a draw.

I'm firmly in the all or nothing camp. A reduced crowd size and social distancing? It wouldn't be Glastonbury. It's too far removed from it's ethos and I probably be minded to give it a miss.

Reducing attendance, maybe drastically, would significantly endanger the whole financial viability of GF and most other festivals. It would mean cutting the number of stages and traders. What was previously is lost. Given that we stand today half way between the onset of the epidemic in the UK and GF2021, prospects for it happening seem bleaker with each passing day.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Maybe. If I had a ticket I would hate this option though! Think I'd prefer it to feel like the normal way, that everyone starts from the same point in terms of chances, rather than having had a ticket and losing it.

As others have said, though, I can't see this. I think it goes ahead as normal or not at all.