Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

7 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I am afraid having a vaccine made and delivered to the whole nation by late June is just not happening. I'm sorry but not one expert says this is likely. 

I believe the only possibility of G/ large festival events happening next year is if there is some sort of game changer with testing (such as the British one above). i.e quick testing and proof you've been tested etc. Vague I know but this, I believe, is our only chance. This has to be in the pipeline by January too so G can book and plan. Vaccine is far away.

I still think moving to late summer is their best chance but also understand this might not be possible. 

You don’t have to have everyone vaccinated for Social restrictions to be lifted. 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thats what I was thinking / wondering .... surely once the vulnerable have had their jabs .... things start to open at peoples own risk ? 

Yup. I reckon the people who had the initial letter to shield will be invited to get the shot and that will be that. The rest of us get it as and when.

Regarding deployment of the vaccine, to hear some people talk (not having a go at you or anyone on the forum @danbailey80), it seems like they're imagining the nurse doing jabs every Thursday and Tuesday afternoon at the local clinic like for the flu jab. Once we have a proven vaccine* available in large quantities, it's not going to be like that. There's going to be needles flying left, right and centre.

If this Government was good, there would be pop-up vaccination centres all over the country, your local doctors' practice would turn over at least a third of their consultation rooms to vaccinations 5 days a week and areas of hospitals would be repurposed to carry out vaccinations as happened when the ICUs were under most pressure in spring.

Since it's our Government, it will be somewhere on between, but the point is, looking at our typical vaccination rates for something like the flu jab is no guide at all as to how fast we'll be able to roll this out.

* Autocorrect really wants me to capitalise Vaccine now. Serves me right for doing puns the other day🤨

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yup. I reckon the people who had the initial letter to shield will be invited to get the shot and that will be that. The rest of us get it as and when.

hopefully its everyone on the flu jab list so a little bigger than  that shield list  as toilet duck mentioned to me  but yep :) 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Regarding deployment of the vaccine, to hear some people talk (not having a go at you or anyone on the forum @danbailey80), it seems like they're imagining the nurse doing jabs every Thursday and Tuesday afternoon at the local clinic like for the flu jab. Once we have a proven vaccine* available in large quantities, it's not going to be like that. There's going to be needles flying left, right and centre.

If this Government was good, there would be pop-up vaccination centres all over the country, your local doctors' practice would turn over at least a third of their consultation rooms to vaccinations 5 days a week and areas of hospitals would be repurposed to carry out vaccinations as happened when the ICUs were under most pressure in spring.

Since it's our Government, it will be somewhere on between, but the point is, looking at our typical vaccination rates for something like the flu jab is no guide at all as to how fast we'll be able to roll this out.

Yep, they've already drafted up plans to make it easy to pretty much drag in everyone they realistically can to administer the jabs - including medical students.

Assuming that gets implemented, then once something is approved it's likely any rollout timescale becomes constrained by the manufacturing capacity rather than the number of people trained / allowed to stick needles into people. And what those timescales are largely depends on which vaccine candidate gets there first - if it's the Oxford vaccine, sufficient supplies should be available to return to normality in ~2 months.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'd say "as and when" is a bit mild, but I agree that we're not going to wait for everyone to be vaccinated before opening things up substantially. I'd expect a calculated race of vaccinations Vs the virus.

8 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I am afraid having a vaccine made and delivered to the whole nation by late June is just not happening. I'm sorry but not one expert says this is likely. 

I believe the only possibility of G/ large festival events happening next year is if there is some sort of game changer with testing (such as the British one above). i.e quick testing and proof you've been tested etc. Vague I know but this, I believe, is our only chance. This has to be in the pipeline by January too so G can book and plan. Vaccine is far away.

I still think moving to late summer is their best chance but also understand this might not be possible. 

The other possibility is that by that point everyone is fed up with restrictions so the government goes back to herd immunity 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The other possibility is that by that point everyone is fed up with restrictions so the government goes back to herd immunity 

Judging from changing attitudes, that could be where we end sooner rather than later. After that whole Christmas chat in the other thread, it feels like the direction of travel is to give up on it and push ahead as normal. “Living with the virus” may well be a government slogan soon.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yep, they've already drafted up plans to make it easy to pretty much drag in everyone they realistically can to administer the jabs - including medical students.

Assuming that gets implemented, then once something is approved it's likely any rollout timescale becomes constrained by the manufacturing capacity rather than the number of people trained / allowed to stick needles into people. And what those timescales are largely depends on which vaccine candidate gets there first - if it's the Oxford vaccine, sufficient supplies should be available to return to normality in ~2 months.

Thanks for that link, a good read. Seems like I've underestimated what our Government can do when it sets its mind to it.

5 hours ago, jparx said:

“Living with the virus” may well be a government slogan soon.

Live - Beat - Meet

Catch - Spread - Bed

It’s gonna happen... Cummings is working on it right now 

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

calling @guypjfreak :) 

Get everyone in the fields for the 5 days... We'll all just have to stay at Glastonbury for the 14 days those who are clear go home those aren't have to stay longer.. 

Mr Eavis will just have to put on a 3 week festival.. Basically we'll be HIS herd.. 

• Like 1