Future of festivals...

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the 6 person gathering rule is staying in place till at least Christmas I cannot see Glastonbury and the entire festival period going ahead.

Downvote me if you want or call me a doomsayer who is “at it again” but I think Glastonbury 2021 was just cancelled right now.

They won’t spend money on a festival which can’t be certain it’s going ahead till January at the earliest.

I need to process not being together with all my family at Christmas before I can even start to care about G21. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely- I am young and healthy so covid doesnt really matter much to me. I would probably do my own test a couple of days before, then if it was positive maybe wear a mask all weekend and sleep in

Would it be feasible just to simply say, if you are over about 50 and/or have underlying health issues, just stay the fuck at home and dont go to festivals until we have a vaccine in place? Its not th

Quite. Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If the 6 person gathering rule is staying in place till at least Christmas I cannot see Glastonbury and the entire festival period going ahead.

Downvote me if you want or call me a doomsayer who is “at it again” but I think Glastonbury 2021 was just cancelled right now.

They won’t spend money on a festival which can’t be certain it’s going ahead till January at the earliest.

Won't down vote but keep in mind they are still doing pilots of events (albeit slowed down a bit now) with hundreds/thousands of people there even with the 6 person rule. 

Also the 6 person rule has always been there for outdoors, it's just not been legally enforceable. So it isn't as huge a change as you might think. Hopefully it does enough to change behaviour.

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Also the 6 person rule has always been there for outdoors, it's just not been legally enforceable. So it isn't as huge a change as you might think. Hopefully it does enough to change behaviour.

I thought it was 30? If not, it wasn’t clear to anyone! I went to a beach bbq with several NHS managers and they made a point of keeping it under 30 to stay within the rules! 

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

When do you reckon they would make the call for next year? I think it would be as early as possible (and can’t see tickets being rolled over again).

January is the new deadline for ticket refunds and someone said they need to submit an event plan 6 months before to the council. I think they'll leave it as late as possible to announce it to give themselves time to plan

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I thought it was 30? If not, it wasn’t clear to anyone! I went to a beach bbq with several NHS managers and they made a point of keeping it under 30 to stay within the rules! 

If it's a work thing it'll be exempt if you've done covid risk assessments, (even if it's a social work thing I think)

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

If it's a work thing it'll be exempt if you've done covid risk assessments, (even if it's a social work thing I think)

Not a work thing, 40th bday... and not all NHS either. Just pointing out how much confusion there’s been! 

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Oh well you broke the guidance but not the law. 

Ah ok, makes sense! Thanks for clarifying! 

To be fair to Matt you can only really go with how things look right now, and I’d have to agree that things are looking pretty bleak.

That said there’s still plenty of time for things to change between now and March, when they’d have to make the call.

Johnson talking about this moonshot malarkey actually makes me feel incredibly confident about Glastonbury. You can’t use how things look right now as any indication. This moonshot deal says to me their plan is, one way or another, to be back to normal by the spring. Hancock was talking about using testing to unlocking everything before we get a vaccine as well.

They’re a bunch of clowns, but they’re making the calls and the indications from them is they want things back to normal ASAP. I think we’re at the Farm next year either with a vaccine or with an extensive testing program in place.

• Upvote 3

Do you think there was a bit of a good cop-bad cop deal going on between Boris and the experts (when they were talking about Moonshot)?

I still think we’ll be told to live with the virus come spring - with extra hygiene measures and testing in place. I also wonder if they were being deliberately cautious with wording and dates as they know people are starting to get fed up with the ‘world-beating’ rhetoric? Boris tales criticism personally and won’t want to face Keir with that in his back pocket...

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Nah, you're right. It's not happening is it?

I think next year is going to be very different for all festivals and I also think festivals will need to be willing to change and adapt to circumstances and punters will need to accept these changes to go ahead. There are still so many unknowns about what may happen and where we will be when crucial decisions are needing to be made so I wouldn't flat out write these things off after todays announcements 

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, you're right. It's not happening is it?

If we can’t meet in groups above 6 until Jan 2021 at the earliest how are we going to meet in groups of 200,000 in June?

Just now, Matt42 said:

If we can’t meet in groups above 6 until Jan 2021 at the earliest how are we going to meet in groups of 200,000 in June?

Vaccines. But it doesn't look like they're coming soon enough. I had swallowed some of the AstraZeneca hype about September/October roll out. I reckon we'll be good in around about 12 months time, just as festival season finishes.

But vaccines really will be game changers. What's happened in the past with this pandemic will not reflect how things will go during the vaccine roll out.

Just a shame on the timing, it just doesn't seem to line up.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Vaccines. But it doesn't look like they're coming soon enough. I had swallowed some of the AstraZeneca hype about September/October roll out. I reckon we'll be good in around about 12 months time, just as festival season finishes.

But vaccines really will be game changers. What's happened in the past with this pandemic will not reflect how things will go during the vaccine roll out.

Just a shame on the timing, it just doesn't seem to line up.

We’ve been waiting for a game changer from the Vaccines for a decade now. I’m not sure they’ll manage it in the next 8 months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I would go to a festival tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong. I just feel like it’s going to be our government which fucks it up for us.

Other countries have routine testing and testing which isn’t contingent on symptoms.

We need to invest more money into matching this. I honestly think this is the only way forward.

Got plans to see the gramps? Get a test.

Got plans for a big occasion coming up? Get a test.

To hear Matt Hancock read this approach down was heavily disappointing. This is exactly the thing we should be doing. This is exactly how we are falling behind. 

thought I’d be a bit more positive by actually offering a solution. 

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

they don't need to spend money till January at the earliest, and that pretty much looks like the plan they were already working to (what with the refund date being moved to January).

So there's no need to panic just yet. There's 3+ months to get through, and things could massively change in that time.

For example, we can all keep a look out for Spaffer's moneyshot moonshot.

Edited by eFestivals
7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Other countries have routine testing and testing which isn’t contingent on symptoms.

Spaffer said yesterday that the UK has the highest testing rate in Europe. I haven't checked but presume that's true.

But whatever, no one currently has testing at a high enough level to allow the safe(ish) resumption of gigs and festivals, as that would (for the UK) require something like 10 million tests a day.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Vaccines. But it doesn't look like they're coming soon enough.

seems unlikely the vaccines will be rolled out by January, but there's still a decent chance we'll be able to see how the near-future is going to play out by then.