Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you posted about breaking-in in this topic.

Care to explain what relevance breaking in has to the future of festivals in a covid world?

You're not expressing opinions, you're trolling.

Oh yes, there was a passing mention of breaking in in one of my posts when giving advice to a fellow forum member about biding time when you are having problems getting into Glastonbury. Like it or not, this is an aspect of Glastonbury many people go through- the ones who are not so lucky to get free tickets like you probably do.

Since you've brought it up, breaking in to festivals will always be a thing, covid or no covid. Thats an opinion (and a fact), if this is different to yours and you dont like that, then no doubt you've got some rude or dismissive comments to send in response to this post. Fire away. 

I bet Melvin is getting pissed off that so many questions are referencing Glastonbury. :lol: 

One of the MPs just tried to push Melvin into saying "festivals need a vaccine". Melvin wouldn't have it, and says festivals can go ahead safely with adequate testing.

I agree with Melvin in theory, but the govt will never reach the scale of testing that would be needed for Melvin's plan.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I bet Melvin is getting pissed off that so many questions are referencing Glastonbury. :lol: 

One of the MPs just tried to push Melvin into saying "festivals need a vaccine". Melvin wouldn't have it, and says festivals can go ahead safely with adequate testing.

I agree with Melvin in theory, but the govt will never reach the scale of testing that would be needed for Melvin's plan.

I got the impression thats what the MP was saying in so many words

3 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

Yeah he got a bit of a hammering compared to Lord Webber didn't he.

At the very beginning he said something like 'Glastonbury is interesting with regard to timing'. I kinda got a bad feeling from that.

Yeah I picked up on that. Being the first? major fesitval of the summer along with being the biggest they're always going to be scrutinised more aren't they.

2 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

I got the impression the majority of men in that room are personally more interested in re-opening theatres than festivals.

Is it only Tories in there?

When they talk theatres, they are probably focusing on the major West End ones as that will help ‘save’ the economy. Theatres can also open sooner (you’d hope)?

Edited by Ryan1984

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

as that's bollocks  - it's a constant from your posts - you're clearly trolling.

Bye.

is he the same person whos been trolling with the other username because all the wording is nearly the same ?

53 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I picked up on that. Being the first? major fesitval of the summer along with being the biggest they're always going to be scrutinised more aren't they.

Sensible question - do we think it makes much difference is its a 60K festival or a 250K festival - still big main stages and pinch points and near to impossible distancing. neighbourhood is before Glastonbury … not sure of the point I'm trying to make, except I wish theyd stop putting the spotlight on Glastonbury :-)

I;m gussing Mp's aren;'t the slightest bit worried about festivals and have the armour out to get theatre back on the road …. as it suits them, and their lifestyles :growl:

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Download and IOW are both majors by most standards, and fall ahead of Glastonbury - they've changed the dates for each of them next year, so Download is 3 weeks before and IOW 1 week before.

Both are Festival Republic events as well so Melvin is involved with them.

10 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Sensible question - do we think it makes much difference is its a 60K festival or a 250K festival

To be honest I think the size is a bit of a red herring in this case.

A lot of the issues that will hit Glastonbury won't affect Reading (which I think is the 2nd biggest in this country), however they most likely would apply to Boomtown, Shambala, and probably some others. The "six stages all in the same field" type festivals can partition and segregate and move things outside in a way that Glastonbury couldn't - at least not without putting checkpoints all over the site and completely losing a lot of what makes the festival great.

31 minutes ago, incident said:

Download and IOW are both majors by most standards, and fall ahead of Glastonbury - they've changed the dates for each of them next year, so Download is 3 weeks before and IOW 1 week before.

Both are Festival Republic events as well so Melvin is involved with them.

IOW is independent is it not? 

30 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Sensible question - do we think it makes much difference is its a 60K festival or a 250K festival - still big main stages and pinch points and near to impossible distancing. neighbourhood is before Glastonbury … not sure of the point I'm trying to make, except I wish theyd stop putting the spotlight on Glastonbury 🙂

I;m gussing Mp's aren;'t the slightest bit worried about festivals and have the armour out to get theatre back on the road …. as it suits them, and their lifestyles :growl:

Benn seems to be adamant, for now anyway, that his festivals will be a no go if they need social distancing. He said there will be two plans - either a vaccine or mass testing. The mass testing would either be through an app with QR code or hundreds of testing centres set up across the UK. I can't remember his wording exactly but he basically said people go to festivals for the abandon and escape, and he doesn't want any restrictions that would inhibit any of that once inside the gates.

He said he spoke to an Oxford professor who reckons we'll all be testing ourselves twice a week at home soon!

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Why would we need the govt to reach it? I always assumed they would be utilising a private provider to supply such tests. All linked to an app etc. It screams private sector provision to me. Govt just needs to see evidence the testing is reliable and their (public health england’s) stamp of approval to go ahead with it.

what melvin offered as an idea isnt even really for consideration by the culture & sport committee its more of a public health issue. 

he was borderline laughed out of the room so either these rapid mass scale tests need to turn up quickly or we are firmly in vaccine or bust territory.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

IOW is independent is it not? 

Nope, hasn't been for quite a while.

Edit: though on checking technically it's Live Nation (the parent company) rather than Festival Republic that bought it.

Edited by incident

1 minute ago, Waterdeep said:

Benn seems to be adamant, for now anyway, that his festivals will be a no go if they need social distancing. He said there will be two plans - either a vaccine or mass testing. The mass testing would either be through an app with QR code or hundreds of testing centres set up across the UK. I can't remember his wording exactly but he basically said people go to festivals for the abandon and escape, and he doesn't want any restrictions that would inhibit any of that once inside the gates.

He said he spoke to an Oxford professor who reckons we'll all be testing ourselves twice a week at home soon!

FWIW I kind of think he is right about that. I want to go there to escape from all this bollocks. So it's got to be testing or vaccine really. First one seems a logistical nightmare, second is a gamble :(

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Why would we need the govt to reach it? I always assumed they would be utilising a private provider to supply such tests. All linked to an app etc. It screams private sector provision to me. Govt just needs to see evidence the testing is reliable and their (public health england’s) stamp of approval to go ahead with it.

I'm not sure that private sector is really an option here, as to create that kind of capacity would require a very significant investment in equipment, training, etc - all of which could and likely will just become redundant near enough overnight as soon as an effective vaccine is available.

To put a scheme of that nature in place would require a willingness to write some very large cheques with a high chance that you can't recoup it.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

FWIW I kind of think he is right about that. I want to go there to escape from all this bollocks. So it's got to be testing or vaccine really. First one seems a logistical nightmare, second is a gamble :(

That's my feeling too. All or nothing for this punter! At the minute mass testing seems like a total nightmare and wide open to abuse. I guess there's a little time yet to try to work things out.

3 hours ago, incident said:

To put a scheme of that nature in place would require a willingness to write some very large cheques with a high chance that you can't recoup it.

The Government are very good at writing blank cheques for make believe stuff so we should be ok there! 

5 hours ago, incident said:

I'm not sure that private sector is really an option here, as to create that kind of capacity would require a very significant investment in equipment, training, etc - all of which could and likely will just become redundant near enough overnight as soon as an effective vaccine is available.

I see what you’re saying, it makes total sense.

my question then is where is melvin getting this imaginary 4 million tests a day / everyone testing themselves at home from? Is he making it up? I assume he has had a steer on what the future looks like from someone in a position of power.

the theory behind it is exactly the same as in pro sport just massively grossed up in size. 

i could see a private company who could issue loads of tests being in the market to do something like this if it would get major events on next summer and if it becomes obvious theres going to be no vaccine (every major organiser would want to do business with them) but i guess we’re a while away yet

Edited by Memory Man