Jump to content

Future of festivals...


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

To be honest, it's normally baking in April these days - regardless of the virus moving it to October seems like a smart idea

Yep definitely agree with that. I ran the 2018 one and it was unbearable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely- I am young and healthy so covid doesnt really matter much to me. I would probably do my own test a couple of days before, then if it was positive maybe wear a mask all weekend and sleep in

Would it be feasible just to simply say, if you are over about 50 and/or have underlying health issues, just stay the fuck at home and dont go to festivals until we have a vaccine in place? Its not th

Quite. Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, st dan said:

The 2021 London Marathon has just been moved from its usual slot in April to October - don’t know it that is a sign of things to come for mass events, or if they are just being extra cautious. But it is slightly concerning news ...

it will make training easier ... I would say.... my sister trained for april but never put in the effort as she never really thought october this year would happen ..... more breathing space for them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Very much so.

Look at it from this point imagine having a ticket for the 50th, it gets cancelled, tickets rolled to next festival which is also cancelled, tickets go back into a pot for 2022 which you fail to get. How gutting would that be, as you had a ticket in the first place.

I have a ticket to be transparent. If next years gets cancelled (which it won’t) then they can keep my money as long as it takes for a festival to go ahead. 

To be equally transparent I didn't get one! Anyway I just hope that there are some festivals next year. I have given up on Glastonbury (even if tickets do go back on sale in Oct or April we have no realistic chance of getting one), so I hope that there are some other events still standing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it will make training easier ... I would say.... my sister trained for april but never put in the effort as she never really thought october this year would happen ..... more breathing space for them 

I’m not sure it does make the training easier - An April marathon means you are doing the hard miles Jan-March when it’s cold but at least not too hot. Having it in October means you’ll be having to do the big runs in the middle of summer.

No thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m not sure it does make the training easier - An April marathon means you are doing the hard miles Jan-March when it’s cold but at least not too hot. Having it in October means you’ll be having to do the big runs in the middle of summer.

No thanks.

In terms of knowing where you are was more my point ... training for a marathon that doesn’t happen ... and then having to reset and retrain for a later one ... you would still have to train for both dates April and then October ... when It didn’t happen for the former 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading the posts about See tickets holding the deposits and it has me wondering about the state of their financing. 
 

They won’t be receiving any income at all while gigs and festivals aren’t happening. If they go under then what happens? Although I can’t imagine they have vast overheads so hopefully they have been able to keep costs down especially if their staff is being furloughed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Just reading the posts about See tickets holding the deposits and it has me wondering about the state of their financing. 
 

They won’t be receiving any income at all while gigs and festivals aren’t happening. If they go under then what happens? Although I can’t imagine they have vast overheads so hopefully they have been able to keep costs down especially if their staff is being furloughed. 

I guess its just   wait and SEE 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just reading the posts about See tickets holding the deposits and it has me wondering about the state of their financing. 
 

They won’t be receiving any income at all while gigs and festivals aren’t happening. If they go under then what happens? Although I can’t imagine they have vast overheads so hopefully they have been able to keep costs down especially if their staff is being furloughed. 

Well they are putting 2021 tours onsale right now. HAIM went onsale today for example. See is getting income just not on as large of a scale as previously. Live Nation also, but with them its knowN how much cash they have on hand.

Edited by Suprefan
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one seems to think it's still going ahead, though no sign of tickets. V tempted - love DJ Yoda (obvs) and Norman J was v good at the last Glasto (he was playing D&B in a tree by the Greenpeace stage after Elvana; great warmup for the Chems (and, indeed, the chems)).

https://www.alexandrapalace.com/whats-on/kaleidoscope-presents-unlocked/

Seem to recall they had Groove Armada originally. Be interesting to see what they bring up.

Ally Pally also doing outdoor comedy; be interrested if anyone else knows anywhere else doing stuff like this as am keen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Homer said:

This one seems to think it's still going ahead, though no sign of tickets. V tempted - love DJ Yoda (obvs) and Norman J was v good at the last Glasto (he was playing D&B in a tree by the Greenpeace stage after Elvana; great warmup for the Chems (and, indeed, the chems)).

https://www.alexandrapalace.com/whats-on/kaleidoscope-presents-unlocked/

Seem to recall they had Groove Armada originally. Be interesting to see what they bring up.

Ally Pally also doing outdoor comedy; be interrested if anyone else knows anywhere else doing stuff like this as am keen.

Wonder why no tickets yet? Is that a bit weird?

Battersea Arts Club are doing outdoor comedy I think? You might know that already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wonder why no tickets yet? Is that a bit weird?

Battersea Arts Club are doing outdoor comedy I think? You might know that already.

Yeah, I thought the same. I looked on FAQs and it said only 2,500 capacity and they will be allocated to those who registered first (I think I did months back).

Saw that ta. Not a huge Russell Howard fan and it's all sold out. I got a ticket to the New Normal Fest to see Sara Pascoe a week Friday though (also around Clap).

Going to this the next night too. Thought we may as well go on a Sat night, have a few pints first and I'll try and convince myswlf I'm at a rave!

https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/electronic-from-kraftwerk-to-the-chemical-brothers
 

Edited by Homer
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Greenwich comedy Festival going ahead end of September with social distancing

Saw that ta. Went years ago and it was quite good (saw the improv guys who play at Glasto in the Astrolabe, inc Phill Jupitus). Thought the line-up looked a bit rubbish for the money, bar the Alan Davies one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Homer said:

This one seems to think it's still going ahead, though no sign of tickets. V tempted - love DJ Yoda (obvs) and Norman J was v good at the last Glasto (he was playing D&B in a tree by the Greenpeace stage after Elvana; great warmup for the Chems (and, indeed, the chems)).

https://www.alexandrapalace.com/whats-on/kaleidoscope-presents-unlocked/

Seem to recall they had Groove Armada originally. Be interesting to see what they bring up.

Ally Pally also doing outdoor comedy; be interrested if anyone else knows anywhere else doing stuff like this as am keen.

They're putting in place a number of processes to make sure its as safe and have had some good success with other things like the big outdoor beer garden which was really well run.

(I'm a local cllr in the area and know they're pulling out all the stops for this)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at all these mini events of 1-3k taking place!! 

Ok they're not full on sesh fests but hopefully these will be successful, see no increase in cases and the experience be used to allow larger events by Christmas.

Then next year, events without social distancing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joshuwarr said:

They're putting in place a number of processes to make sure its as safe and have had some good success with other things like the big outdoor beer garden which was really well run.

(I'm a local cllr in the area and know they're pulling out all the stops for this)

Ah great, ta. I've been to the free StrEAT Food events in previous years and been impressed so really want to go to this one. Hopefully tix will be on sale soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wonder why no tickets yet? Is that a bit weird?

Battersea Arts Club are doing outdoor comedy I think? You might know that already.

hedging their bets, I guess. It's easier if they don't have to refund, and a smallish number of tickets can be sold in the few days before it happens - if it happens.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if they had to make the whole Glastonbury site a one way system, it would take forever to get from stage A to stage B, or would it be more free flowing and not that bad?

anyone want to attempt drawing one on a map :-£

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...