Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

48 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Masks need to become fashionable. It’s the only way they will be used daily. Celebs and clothing brands need to start selling them. I’ve said this before but Glastonbury need their own branded masks. 

Sports Direct to maintain their standard approach and sell ones when you get to the checkout that are big enough to cover a family of 4 all at once.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Masks need to become fashionable. It’s the only way they will be used daily. Celebs and clothing brands need to start selling them. I’ve said this before but Glastonbury need their own branded masks. 

I think Sziget had some branded ones as dust is a major hazard at that festival so mask wearing is already a common sight. I imagine it will be the same for other euro festivals where rain is negligible. 

They are a struggle now because we’re not used to wearing them. Will have to see how effective natural fibres are in masks like cotton. Much better than some of the plasticky ones that seem to keep the heat in 

I think face shields will become more common place for those working with the public. A lot of verbal communication is based on being able to see the person you’re talking to. 

Believe me when I say a struggle I don’t mean to the level of anyone that works in a covid ward ... it’s just hot 🥵 but that’s something I’m going to get used to just like everyone else ... I’ve found my filter one to be less warm as it seems to expel some of the warm air too ... I’m now the store go to as people have seen my wearing some different ones and I’m being asked my thoughts ... 

With Glastonbury not happening until a vaccine has been released and that increasingly looking like spring/ early summer at the earliest, does anyone think HQ would have a plan b where they push the festival back until end of August?

Assuming they would have to make this decision as early as possible (end of this year?) as the potential changing and swapping of acts/ resources/ staff/ hiring infurstructure etc would be a huge challenge. 

Surely this is a better prospect than them cancelling another year...? 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

With Glastonbury not happening until a vaccine has been released and that increasingly looking like spring/ early summer at the earliest, does anyone think HQ would have a plan b where they push the festival back until end of August?

Assuming they would have to make this decision as early as possible (end of this year?) as the potential changing and swapping of acts/ resources/ staff/ hiring infurstructure etc would be a huge challenge. 

Have I missed that being announced? 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

I personally can't imagine that.  I don't know if no vaccine = no festival, but if that was the case I doubt the festival would go ahead as I don't see how it would be possible by the planning stage to have a guarantee that it would be rolled out in time.

Off the back of what Spaffer has just announced, I reckon festivals next summer will be allowed to go ahead on a normal-ish basis.

I also reckon that Melvin has been told that (he's likely to run the pilot stadium shows soonish), and that's how come Latitude has recently been announced for next summer (it was one of the few events that hadn't announced a date).

Fingers crossed that's right.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Off the back of what Spaffer has just announced, I reckon festivals next summer will be allowed to go ahead on a normal-ish basis.

I also reckon that Melvin has been told that (he's likely to run the pilot stadium shows soonish), and that's how come Latitude has recently been announced for next summer (it was one of the few events that hadn't announced a date).

Fingers crossed that's right.

Do you think local councils having more control would affect them going ahead though? 

3 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Do you think local councils having more control would affect them going ahead though? 

Only if there's a specific reason why it shouldn't go ahead, hopefully.

I'm hoping that locals with pitchforks don't start leaning on councils, saying we don't want outsiders bringing covid here, or if they do the councils resist it. There's no real reason to think outsiders going to a festival will infect that locality.

As I posted on another thread, a local festival to me in Beckenham London ( Soulfest) , basically old has been soul singers , has been given the go ahead in 5th September, it says there will be changes, not yet given what those might be. Shalama who were to headline would not be coming, as another US act. The one day event is a capacity 8500 people. Tickets are on sale but no mention of reduced capacity. 

On 7/16/2020 at 7:36 AM, danbailey80 said:

Have I missed something?

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Only if there's a specific reason why it shouldn't go ahead, hopefully.

I'm hoping that locals with pitchforks don't start leaning on councils, saying we don't want outsiders bringing covid here, or if they do the councils resist it. There's no real reason to think outsiders going to a festival will infect that locality.

Glastonbury is always 'special' though isnt it. I can see local resistance though not in the same way it was back in the '90s and early '00s. as locals kind of dont have the defence that this thing has been imposed upon them these days. Councils will go with the locals but given the local contribution made by Glastonbury these days, perhaps it will balance out.

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Councils will go with the locals

nope, councils have to go with the law. Local objections of "we don't want it here" are not enough by themselves to have a licence pulled. 

Council public health/licencing will have to say what covid measures are required, and as long as the festival is able to meet them then there's no real reason why a licence should be pulled.  The only real way I see a festival that meets covid requirements being told it can't go ahead is if there's a local lockdown. 

It's possible that a council could try to contrive a situation to stop a festival, but that would be likely to be a long time from the festival happening and their decisions are open to legal challenge.

My whole thing is what are the requirements for anyone outside the country coming to the uk from a high risk region. ( if that holds for certain places til next june ) Or would it be believed that quarantine wont even be a thing in 11 months when it comes to travel. I mean if travelers produced documentation that they received a vaccination ( if it was available by then to the public ) that should suffice, right?  

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

nope, councils have to go with the law. Local objections of "we don't want it here" are not enough by themselves to have a licence pulled. 

Council public health/licencing will have to say what covid measures are required, and as long as the festival is able to meet them then there's no real reason why a licence should be pulled.  The only real way I see a festival that meets covid requirements being told it can't go ahead is if there's a local lockdown. 

It's possible that a council could try to contrive a situation to stop a festival, but that would be likely to be a long time from the festival happening and their decisions are open to legal challenge.

Do you think the relevant council see Glastonbury as a good or a bad thing? I have no idea but I can only imagine they see it as an overwhelmingly good thing, so to that end I agree that I can’t see locals opinions having any bearing at all on any decision.The only way they shut it down is if they see it as a bad thing generally aside from Covid (and try to use Covid as an excuse) or an overwhelming public health issue because of Covid. People as a rule don’t want anything to happen. Most people given the choice wouldn't want a neighbour to build an extension as an example, if councils only listened to locals nothing would ever happen.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

What might happen if we got a local lockdown in a particular area ? Would it potentially invalidate a load of tickets ? Not sure how good the data base is ? Doubt it would work and that might be a lot of people travelling to the fest if it were an area such as Liverpool ? 

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What might happen if we got a local lockdown in a particular area ? Would it potentially invalidate a load of tickets ? Not sure how good the data base is ? Doubt it would work and that might be a lot of people travelling to the fest if it were an area such as Liverpool ? 

By next summer, we will either have some form of herd immunity, vaccine or track and trace system to mean lockdowns won't be needed IMO

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

By next summer, we will either have some form of herd immunity, vaccine or track and trace system to mean lockdowns won't be needed IMO

I’d probably agree ... but in terms of a track and trace app ... I’m struggling to see that happen ... knowing the shambles we have had so far .... 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

If there was a local lockdown in my area and I knew I didn't have it I'd probably still go. Probably take some extra precautions like not go out in the weeks before, restrict guests in my home etc 

28 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

The thing about this is that it's a national observation made to look like a cast-iron international standard. That's not the case.

America is uniquely fucked. That country, teetering on the break of Balkanisation anyway, is not going to take well to being the last on earth to recover from the effects of the virus – and their events industry is going to have to get used to not setting the pace for the rest of us. I can already see a lot of artists/promoters/DJs lashing out and dictating a 'if we can't, no-one can' mentality with the return of clubbing. That'll get worse as the pace of recovery improves elsewhere and they stay trapped in Trumpian hell.

Whether or not that affects American artists playing summer fests in Europe is hard to say. And yeah, there might very well be no American festivals til 2022. That doesn't mean we're deprived over here. America, for once, will be the absolute rock-bottom of entertainment-land. We shouldn't get too spooked about their plague-ridden state of play, and assume Glasto is off because of it. It's on til we know better. Keep the faith!

Said to my mate the other day (May or mentioned it here too) that I think we’ll see european festivals going ahead but not many acts travelling from the US for them.    Quality may drop off a bit but we’ll all be dancing and happy.  

On 7/18/2020 at 7:09 AM, eFestivals said:

Event/Festival/Public Liability insurance, whilst not compulsory, might be a problem and as far as i know, councils are able to mandate that at least PLI is in place as part of the licence.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Event/Festival/Public Liability insurance, whilst not compulsory, might be a problem and as far as i know, councils are able to mandate that at least PLI is in place as part of the licence.

There is no reason they couldn’t get PLI I wouldn’t have thought. If festivals can go ahead on the basis of certain criteria, as long as they don’t neglect that criteria and couldn’t be proven to be negligent, it’s no different to any other risk you’d face at a festival.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton