Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

Sir John Bell, a regis professor of medicine at Oxford University who sits on the UK’s vaccine taskforce, has said he believes “with some confidence” that life should return to normal by spring next year following the Pfizer/BioNTech announcement.

Bell is one of the UK’s leading experts on this topic, so his prediction carries significant weight – not just for the UK but for other countries, too.

Bell said he was “really delighted” with the news and described the vaccine’s preliminary efficacy of 90% as “amazing”. He said there would be distribution challenges but that these were not insurmountable.

It was likely that “more than one” vaccine would be rolled out in the UK by the end of the year or early next year, he said. “It rolls the pitch for other vaccines because I can’t see any reason now why we shouldn’t have a handful of good vaccines available. It’s a major step.”

On BBC Radio 4’s World at One, the presenter, Sarah Montague, asked Bell if the vaccine meant that life should be returning to normal by spring.

Bell answered: “Yes, yes, yes. I’m probably the first guy to say that but I will say that with some confidence.”

“That’s fabulous news,” said Montague. It certainly is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Sir John Bell, a regis professor of medicine at Oxford University who sits on the UK’s vaccine taskforce, has said he believes “with some confidence” that life should return to normal by spring next year following the Pfizer/BioNTech announcement.

Bell is one of the UK’s leading experts on this topic, so his prediction carries significant weight – not just for the UK but for other countries, too.

Bell said he was “really delighted” with the news and described the vaccine’s preliminary efficacy of 90% as “amazing”. He said there would be distribution challenges but that these were not insurmountable.

It was likely that “more than one” vaccine would be rolled out in the UK by the end of the year or early next year, he said. “It rolls the pitch for other vaccines because I can’t see any reason now why we shouldn’t have a handful of good vaccines available. It’s a major step.”

On BBC Radio 4’s World at One, the presenter, Sarah Montague, asked Bell if the vaccine meant that life should be returning to normal by spring.

Bell answered: “Yes, yes, yes. I’m probably the first guy to say that but I will say that with some confidence.”

I still wish to maintain as much caution as possible but this fills me with such joy

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

I heard this and he was giddy.

There was another guy who was far more guarded, saying how we need to treat the rollout like D-Day as it’s something we’ve never done before.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I heard this and he was giddy.

There was another guy who was far more guarded, saying how we need to treat the rollout like D-Day as it’s something we’ve never done before.

I mean logistically almost anything is possible if you put enough money and people into it so I'm going with the giddy professor on this one!

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Gives those concerned a specific body to raise it with though I guess, though doubt if there would be any specific financial relief being offered off the back of its report tbh.

I imagine it's more about getting a yes or no decision, and a set of rules in place. Financial decisions I'd imagine come after the "no" or "severely scale back" decisions. 

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Gives those concerned a specific body to raise it with though I guess, though doubt if there would be any specific financial relief being offered off the back of its report tbh.

they didn't come through with anything that tory Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted for theatres, so my expectations are exceeding low.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I imagine it's more about getting a yes or no decision, and a set of rules in place. Financial decisions I'd imagine come after the "no" or "severely scale back" decisions. 

As far as what might be expected in terms of anticipated rules I think clarity can only help here.

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If a Tory cant seduce any relief funding, what chance a leftyish festival in Somerset huh...

It wasn't particularly about relief funding, it was stuff like "we need a restart date so we know when stuff can start happening again, and do what's necessary so that it can restart on that date".

As far as I can remember, there was no response at all to that part of what he was saying.

(Melvin Benn spoke in the same session, and was pretty much blanked entirely).

A 'normal' restart date is what festivals need, in advance of that date.

29 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

and there is is - the first step to mandatory vaccinations in all but name...