Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the biggest 'hole' I can see is the responsibility of letting something go ahead which might later be shown as a bad decision. 

Even if the test goes very well I can't really see any individual in any role being happy to OK it and then perhaps have it come back on them. Why set yourself up as the fall guy?

Scottish Government will want to be in control of all aspects of virus mitigation measures before it gives any approval. Its not going to be swayed majorly by an event in Eastern Europe in December it has no control over.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Disappointing, but not really surprising. Geoff Ellis is a persistent guy though, so hopefully he continues to pressure the Scottish Government to push forward with some sort of guidelines for the return of live music. 

Just did a survey that Cambridge Folk Festival sent out.  Questions about rapid testing, smaller capacity, mask wearing etc.  What would be essential for you to attend, what would you be prepared to put up with.... etc.  Good to see them exploring options.

In a way Glastonbury have an advantage in that the majority of people do not leave the site once they are in, so there is more that can be under control versus festivals where folks might leave a site and wander into town. 

Edited by Watergirl
typo

18 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Just did a survey that Cambridge Folk Festival sent out.  Questions about rapid tasting, smaller capacity, mask wearing etc.  What would be essential for you to attend, what would you be prepared to put up with.... etc.  Good to see them exploring options.

In a way Glastonbury have an advantage in that the majority of people do not leave the site once they are in, so there is more that can be under control versus festivals where folks might leave a site and wander into town. 

Masks would be very difficult to police but right now I'm imagining the uproar GFL would cause if they decided to downsize and say cancel 2/3rds of tickets 🤔

5 hours ago, Lycra said:

Masks would be very difficult to police but right now I'm imagining the uproar GFL would cause if they decided to downsize and say cancel 2/3rds of tickets 🤔

I don't for a second think they would do this, but only fair way to have lower capacity would be to cancel all tickets and have a new sale wouldn't it?

• Upvote 1

Having a real dark moment today. Reading a BBC piece on how normality at 2019 levels won't come for 5 years. Given the accurate predictions about 2nd waves I'm inclined to believe them and am starting to think that festivals might never happen again. 

At least none of the ones we've known. 

Glastonbury might be the only one that could go into deep hibernation and survive but it wouldn't be the same festival on the other side.

8 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

This is only my opinion but I think that it's all or nothing. 

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

A fairer way would be for the the ones who already have tickets to be put into a draw.

I'm firmly in the all or nothing camp. A reduced crowd size and social distancing? It wouldn't be Glastonbury. It's too far removed from it's ethos and I probably be minded to give it a miss.

Reducing attendance, maybe drastically, would significantly endanger the whole financial viability of GF and most other festivals. It would mean cutting the number of stages and traders. What was previously is lost. Given that we stand today half way between the onset of the epidemic in the UK and GF2021, prospects for it happening seem bleaker with each passing day.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

A fairer way would be for the the ones who already have tickets to be put into a draw.

Maybe. If I had a ticket I would hate this option though! Think I'd prefer it to feel like the normal way, that everyone starts from the same point in terms of chances, rather than having had a ticket and losing it.

As others have said, though, I can't see this. I think it goes ahead as normal or not at all.

Don't think they would do it this way because it would be complicated to administer but....

Give people 2 choices......a) push your ticket to 22 or b) go into a draw for a smaller 21 festival.

I'm sure deciding on 21 would be heavily dependent on the definition of "smaller" but I'd almost certainly push to 22.

54 minutes ago, zahidf said:

From this it sounds like they are confident of having over 50's vaccinated by April

It’s time they started some kind of public health message to get the uptake improved ... messages about how they did it so quickly whilst taking safety into account ... that message needs drumming in as soon as we get any kind of rollout date 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

From this it sounds like they are confident of having over 50's vaccinated by April

Until any phase 3 vaccine trial is unblinded it is unknown whether any actually work and to what degree of efficiency. There's quite a lot of finger crossing going on at the mo.

42 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Version I have read didn't really go much beyond what we already know. Ends with a recommendation for reduced capacity all seated socially distanced gigs, all attendees wearing masks and with good ventilation. Doesn't get us very far.