Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

What about people who can’t work from home by then (could be all of us)? Seems a tad unfair.

I guess that’s the same as those who want to go on holiday, you’ll/there’ll have a decision to make.   There’ll be lots of others who will be willing to do it to be able to attend.

Sadly fairness doesn’t come into decisions like this.

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

I guess that’s the same as those who want to go on holiday, you’ll/there’ll have a decision to make.   There’ll be lots of others who will be willing to do it to be able to attend.

Sadly fairness doesn’t come into decisions like this.

Wouldn’t that go against the Glastonbury ethos? (Obviously it’s important they secure their future)

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Wouldn’t that go against the Glastonbury ethos? (Obviously it’s important they secure their future)

Surely the same could be said about price too?! Some can’t afford it.  It’s not in the school holidays so I can’t take my children, also unfair?

I get the frustration I really do but.... I’m honestly not sure that aspect will come into it.

That being said, I really don’t think it’s going to matter for next year is it! 

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I don't think the ethos of inclusivity would sadly extend to those whose personal circumstances make it difficult to attend.

That said and has been said elsewhere the festival could see this as an exceptional year and offer concessions such as rolling over a ticket if you are unable to go, say at the cost of forfeiting your deposit.

Edited by parsonjack

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

Surely the same could be said about price too?! Some can’t afford it.  It’s not in the school holidays so I can’t take my children, also unfair?

I get the frustration I really do but.... I’m honestly not sure that aspect will come into it.

That being said, I really don’t think it’s going to matter for next year is it! 

No, I’d probably be fine to go but was just aware plenty won’t.

I doubt it. Feels like June will just be too early.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Throwing mass testing out there without providing an answer can be construed in several ways. Perhaps it was a mulling over of the logistics. Imagining the delays nee chaos at the gates if everyone had to wait 15, 20 or 60minutes for rapid test results. Then how would you repeat test once they are in?

We have mass testing now with 200,000+ tests being done daily across the whole nation at hundreds of different locations and results taking days to return....sometimes 7! Can this all be condensed to a single location by June? Will social distancing still be required? Will any of it still be necessary? Conundrums GFL must navigate.

Maybe by throwing the question out there he was hoping for answers.....or maybe he was saying "look peeps this is impossible" and letting us down gently.......Time will tell.

One additional point, national tests are not free where they are needed to allow events to rum e.g. football etc and the projected cost of a rapid test is £80.  Three rapid tests would be nearly the same as the cost of a ticket. Who pays?

Edited by Lycra

14 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Throwing mass testing out there without providing an answer can be construed in several ways. Perhaps it was a mulling over of the logistics. Imagining the delays nee chaos at the gates if everyone had to wait 15, 20 or 60minutes for rapid test results. Then how would you repeat test once they are in?

We have mass testing now with 200,000+ tests being done daily across the whole nation at hundreds of different locations and results taking days to return....sometimes 7! Can this all be condensed to a single location by June? Will social distancing still be required? Will any of it still be necessary? Conundrums GFL must navigate.

Maybe by throwing the question out there he was hoping for answers.....or maybe he was saying "look peeps this is impossible" and letting us down gently.......Time will tell.

Its based on it being technology for quick mass testing. Which I think is probably by next June.

Could be the case you can get tested at the bus station/train stations before you get there as an option?

Edited by zahidf

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Interesting how the statement is actually quoted as a question 'Do we want to....?' rather than an intent of 'We want to......'.

It could easily be interpreted as Michael actually playing down the logistics of such an approach.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its based on it being technology for quick mass testing. Which I think is probably by next June.

Could be the case you can get tested at the bus station/train stations before you get there as an option?

Heathrow airport propose to bring in rapid testing for travellers at £80.

500 peeps need testing to get on train. Not all get on at same point. Where do you test? How long does testing take?

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting how the statement is actually quoted as a question 'Do we want to....?' rather than an intent of 'We want to......'.

It could easily be interpreted as Michael actually playing down the logistics of such an approach.

Yep thats exactly how it was said ... and how I reported it back ... my conclusion being that it’s something they have discussed but not decided on ...  I’m still not sure about 3 tests though and why they wouldn’t test once or maybe twice at a push to limit the risk 

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep thats exactly how it was said ... and how I reported it back ... my conclusion being that it’s something they have discussed but not decided on ...  I’m still not sure about 3 tests though and why they wouldn’t test once or maybe twice at a push to limit the risk 

I'm still hopeful we could get some clues early new year when they will have had to present an Event Management Plan for a June festival, which will surely need to cover proposals for Covid arrangements.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say that's a no-brainer. They'll have considered every possibility there is.

Including a shorter 3-day festival to limit risk maybe?  Make sure everyone is CV-neg in the preceding 48hrs then there's very little need to test again in the following 3 days due to incubation time to become infectious.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Including a shorter 3-day festival to limit risk maybe?  Make sure everyone is CV-neg in the preceding 48hrs then there's very little need to test again in the following 3 days due to incubation time to become infectious.

My concern with a 3 day one is that everyone would arrive at the same time, meaning getting there would be queuing on the roads/ trains to get to site then the queues at the gate to get in

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I guess they will have considered it but I reckon the idea will have been dismissed. 

I'd say it's simply impossible to get the numbers on-site quickly enough for that to work without causing gridlock for miles around - unless using coaches to ferry people in, but that comes with it's own covid issues.

Maybe off topic because I’m talking about festivals in general rather than Glastonbury but I find myself wondering if mass testing is more appropriate for one day events rather than longer camping festivals.

The issue with testing is that it doesn’t seem to pick up those who are incubating the virus. Suppose Alice is c-19 positive and meets Bob for dinner, Bob wouldn’t immediately show up as positive on a test. With longer festivals you then run the risk of letting people in who are incubating and then they become infectious during the event and it goes on to become a superspreading event.

For a one day thing, you don’t really care if someone is incubating the virus, because they’re only in there for that one day. There’s obviously a tiny chance someone who was incubating at 9am becomes infectious by 3pm, but with this stuff you’re never going to fully eliminate the risk, it’s just all about reducing it to a much more acceptable level. 

Perhaps festivals themselves could adapt to this by either shortening to a single day, or selling only day tickets rather than weekend packages. But I feel a lot more confident about the possibility of attending something like Community festival or All Points East for a day next summer than I do about the possibility of a weekend camping at Kendal Calling or Truck. 

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Firstly a test is only as good as the sample provided, which means peeps can have covid but it's missed. Secondly, the test is only relevant to that point in time viz: peeps can be covid negative at 1pm but covid positive at 5pm. That's why the NHS use repeat testing.

Maybe we're missing a bit with all this talk of mass testing & retesting and festivals in 2021. Who will want to go? Who will want/can pay for tests in order for us to go, if that's what's needed? Will lost jobs & lack of disposable income affect ability to go?

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Maybe we're missing a bit with all this talk of mass testing & retesting and festivals in 2021. Who will want to go? Who will want/can pay for tests in order for us to go, if that's what's needed? Will lost jobs & lack of disposable income affect ability to go?

Was disappointed it's highly unlikely I'll see my local football team until next season due to capacity but realised I don't go to sit by myself. You go for a drink, a moan and a laugh with friends, family and acquaintances you mightnt even know the name of but have seen over the years. The soul's been ripped out of it with prolonged periods of no/few fans. It's one thing clinging onto hope of some gigs or a festival at some point but I'm also approaching unemployment this year . Next year could be another reminder for me having the free time and having the money rarely coincide

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The assumption is that by spring next year theyll be some form of cheaper test you can take with quicker results. I assume they wont be AS driven towards zero Covid either, and if one case slips through the net, they'll deal with that