Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

9 minutes ago, Kusy said:

Things not looking good for summer 2021 fest season as for now. 

why do you think that? :blink: 

As far as I can see things are looking much the same as they've looked for months - with a vaccine expected around the end of the year and a pretty decent chance of enough people being vaccinated by the spring to allow the resumption of normal.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

why do you think that? :blink: 

As far as I can see things are looking much the same as they've looked for months - with a vaccine expected around the end of the year and a pretty decent chance of enough people being vaccinated by the spring to allow the resumption of normal.

Would love that but... I've got a feeling that they'll (Europe + USA) not take down the restrictions fast enough for fest to roll out. 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s because we haven’t had any firm vaccine date though isn’t it ? 

The biggest worry is that this useless government are going to screw the vaccine up like they have everything else.... I would not put it past them to pump billions into a vaccine that doesn't work. They are criminally inept. 

Them destroying the hospitality sector because they wont shut schools and have to extend furlough is another recent example... 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

The biggest worry is that this useless government are going to screw the vaccine up like they have everything else.... I would not put it past them to pump billions into a vaccine that doesn't work. They are criminally inept. 

Them destroying the hospitality sector because they wont shut schools and have to extend furlough is another recent example... 

oh I don’t doubt that they have the ability to fuck things up further .... I just hope they have the ability to get the most important thing right ... and that other people have a role in the implementation ... and they just hand over the money 💰 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't really see that happening, unless there's too little vaccine available by the spring to cover the vulnerable and health workers.

yup. They arent going to wait to vaccinate everyone. Tory backbenches are already agitating now over social distancing requirements. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s because we haven’t had any firm vaccine date though isn’t it ? 

Maybe. I'm not hopeful though they originally said September didn't they and no date seems to be immediately forthcoming for publication.

We've also had no more details about the mass testing moonshot programme either though. Last I heard they were struggling to reach 250 a day when the target is 50,000 a day. 

Alongside their general terrible mismanagement of all aspects of testing.

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Realistically we'll only be rolling out a British or American one- no way this government lets Europe save the day and no point thinking about them giving even a consideration to Asian countries and the like 

So all hopes on oxford really 

I think we ordered advance doses of 4 ? 

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think we ordered advance doses of 4 ? 

I don’t post here often but needed a dose of hopeful thinking re the festival next year so it’s good to see what you’re all saying about what might be possible for 2021 to go ahead 🤞🏻

On the vaccine I took a screenshot from this article in the FT on the 23rd September as I thought it was interesting to see what our govt had pre-ordered. Bear in mind some vaccines will require people to have two doses of it to be effective. 

1E2646F2-8B14-42B6-93B9-5286CCC20C1F.png

• Like 1

Some planning guidance for festivals has been created by the industry. 

Lots of really interesting things to get into in here with the sorts of things festival might need to consider to allow them to go ahead.

https://www.thepurpleguide.co.uk/index.php/the-purple-guide/information-news-updates/121-new-covid-19-planning-guidance-published-for-uk-festivals

Two stand outs for me

1) It talks about population stratification affecting the risk of some festivals more than others. So is a "younger" demographic festival safer or more likely to go ahead then one attracting an "older" demographic?

2) Lots of little changes that I hadn't even thought of like

"Should artist booking and briefing consider discouraging specific crowd behaviour, in particular, anything that could increase the risk of extraction of audience members by pit staff?"

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Oliver Dowden mentioned at the DCMS Select Committee that he's aiming for end of March or early April timeline for theatres to go back to full capacity but is reluctant to give a firm date because of what's going on at the moment.

nice one.

Everything is subject to circumstances of course, but it does suggest the chances of a normal summer are in the mix.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Michael ... do we want to test 200,000 people 3 x ... no answer 

I reckon tickets will go digital onto an app that's linked to a testing system (not necessarily the government one). You get postal tests before hand that you send off and input a code from the results on the app. A negative test and it goes green, a positive test and they ask you not to travel. 

Then when they scan your ticket it only scans as valid if there's a result in the system.

As for getting to three tests 2x pre arrival with 1x post festival test?

Wonder if they could do on the gate testing, take saliva samples on entry and send the results to your ticket app.

With the expectation being that if it comes up as positive you leave?

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I reckon tickets will go digital onto an app that's linked to a testing system (not necessarily the government one). You get postal tests before hand that you send off and input a code from the results on the app. A negative test and it goes green, a positive test and they ask you not to travel. 

Then when they scan your ticket it only scans as valid if there's a result in the system.

As for getting to three tests 2x pre arrival with 1x post festival test?

Wonder if they could do on the gate testing, take saliva samples on entry and send the results to your ticket app.

With the expectation being that if it comes up as positive you leave?

testing doesn't really work for the 5 days of Glastonbury unless they're going to test people during the festival. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

testing doesn't really work for the 5 days of Glastonbury unless they're going to test people during the festival. 

It'll be treated as if its a holiday I reckon: test on arrival and then one after if you want to get out of 14 (maybe 7 by then) day quarantine.