Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

39 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not sure why people are saying a second wave? It's the same thing, just people have got bored of Boris's bollocks and can't be arsed anymore doing things that aren't helping.

second wave, different thing, G614 instead of D614 - https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200925/D614G-mutation-now-the-dominant-variant-in-the-global-COVID-19-pandemic.aspx

Edited by 5co77ie

3 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this so will post on the Glastocam thread as well!’ The pyramid a beacon of hope!!! 
Wednesday 30th September

https://www.lightitinred.co.uk/

did you see it when they did it last time ? really spectacular ...  not that it isn't normally :) 

It looked stunning so wish I could go and see it for real!! Miss tht place so much and it’s only 30mins away!! 
To go there again need to stay away now!!! 
This a picture from this time last year at the Pilton Run!! 
63B84EE2-5878-44A4-AF9E-E18226EC38E4.jpeg.07f0255fa7220d91f722e40df67e90a2.jpeg

No idea how to turn the picture around!!! Sorry!! 😏

Edited by funkychick2007
Cannot turn picture round!!!

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive just replied ... im happy to pay  the £50 ongoing even if I dont have a ticket 

It will also increase your chances in the resale too as there will be many casual glasto goers who wouldn’t want to keep throwing money into the pot. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:23 AM, crazyfool1 said:

Emily’s just liked this tweet ... hope it doesn’t come to this though ...,

I would definitely do this, although I wonder if they would actually go down this route. If they were to make the decision to cancel 2021 early next year then you would be paying another £50 for 2022 potentially 18 months in advance. Whilst the majority would be fine with this it just feels like something the festival wouldn't be keen on doing. No different to buying gig tickets that far in advance though I guess.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I would definitely do this, although I wonder if they would actually go down this route. If they were to make the decision to cancel 2021 early next year then you would be paying another £50 for 2022 potentially 18 months in advance. Whilst the majority would be fine with this it just feels like something the festival wouldn't be keen on doing. No different to buying gig tickets that far in advance though I guess.

Absolutely ... they can have my money in full for the next festival now if it meant I got there ... maybe Emily liking the tweet it’s something that might be considered .... and she liked my follow up too ... in good news thread amongst the cat talk 

Edited by crazyfool1

Yeah I'd definately pay 50 quid year on year too to keep it going until its safe to hold the event again.

Reckon the govt cant be arsed to fund the industry anyway as they see it all as just a leftie ideology influencing engine that they'd be better off without. Bet they find money to keep opera and ballet and classical orchestras going in the end though... 😏

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Promoter Stuart Galbraith reveals target date for live music return

which is pretty much what I've been suggesting.

Fingers firmly crossed!

Interesting that they have a very specific date in mind so far out.

Would tie in with a Christmas vaccine approval, and then 3 month roll out period to the vulnerable and those who urgently need it, then social distancing could be relaxed while the rest of the population is vaccinated 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Promoter Stuart Galbraith reveals target date for live music return

which is pretty much what I've been suggesting.

Fingers firmly crossed!

The headline is a bit misleading as what he suggests a realistic appraisal of what could happen given a fair wind. For all our sakes lets hope he's right. Too many have had "targets" that have been blown out of the water by the turn of events. If we reach April with no sign of events opening up it will be foreboding.

53 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting that they have a very specific date in mind so far out.

Would tie in with a Christmas vaccine approval, and then 3 month roll out period to the vulnerable and those who urgently need it, then social distancing could be relaxed while the rest of the population is vaccinated 

yup - that's been pretty much my thinking.

The other things in the mix are growing herd immunity (will be 15%+ by then, perhaps a lot higher), plus the current temporary law for covid restrictions ends on 31st March, and while a form of it might get renewed I have great difficulty seeing tories voting then for a continuing lockdown situation of pretty much any form.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yup - that's been pretty much my thinking.

The other things in the mix are growing herd immunity (will be 15%+ by then, perhaps a lot higher), plus the current temporary law for covid restrictions ends on 31st March, and while a form of it might get renewed I have great difficulty seeing tories voting then for a continuing lockdown situation of pretty much any form.

It's all a numbers game. Lockdown was originally imposed to save lives and save the NHS. The latter is important as it cannot be allowed to be swamped to the extent it cannot function any longer. Lockdowns are the only tool available at the moment until something better comes along.

Just now, Lycra said:

It's all a numbers game. Lockdown was originally imposed to save lives and save the NHS. The latter is important as it cannot be allowed to be swamped to the extent it cannot function any longer. Lockdowns are the only tool available at the moment until something better comes along.

yup, but at the moment we're having harsh-ish lockdowns based on how things went in the first wave, and being extra-cautious.

Fingers crossed, at the mo it's looking like things are panning out a little differently in the second wave with fewer needing hospitalisation (and better recoveries for those who do).

Soooo..... I'm thinking that by xmas we'll have a better idea of how things will look going forwards, and be able to make decent predictions on hospital demands from covid in the spring months.

The one difference this time round is winter flu and it's effect with covid, but the hospital demand from just flu should be reasonably predictable.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yup, but at the moment we're having harsh-ish lockdowns based on how things went in the first wave, and being extra-cautious.

Fingers crossed, at the mo it's looking like things are panning out a little differently in the second wave with fewer needing hospitalisation (and better recoveries for those who do).

Soooo..... I'm thinking that by xmas we'll have a better idea of how things will look going forwards, and be able to make decent predictions on hospital demands from covid in the spring months.

The one difference this time round is winter flu and it's effect with covid, but the hospital demand from just flu should be reasonably predictable.

When do you reckon Glastonbury would have pegged their deadline for whether to proceed head on with 2021 for? How late can they leave it before they're totally committed to plowing on? Not sure how much work they can do in getting everything ready without committing massively financially. End of January 2021?