Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

tested.me - the scanning thing that most pubs round me seem to be using for track & trace, have launched an app.

They're claiming it as a 'digital health passport'.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tested.me.production&gl=GB

I suspect that will have a bigger uptake than the govts app.

edit: you have to give them lots of data, but they give a no-share and wipe-at-any-time guarantee.

Edited by eFestivals

19 hours ago, zahidf said:

Festival Republic have dumped several other London Festivals in recent years. I guess they're trying to find something that works.

Warehouse project in Manchester have announced no season in 2020.

Whilst that's obviously not a surprise, their bicep gig has been rescheduled to December 2021. 

So looks like they're planning a full year break and nothing before their parklife festival in early June. I had wondered if they might try something at Easter 2021. 

It's buried quite deep - but this was included in the Oxfam recap up of the (lack of) festival season:

With much uncertainty and challenges still to face it was comforting to hear about Festival Republic’s Full Capacity Plan. Meanwhile, Glastonbury and Festival Republic have been in conversation about collaborating on a scheme that would allow ticket-holders on site after they’ve proved that they are virus-free.

The concept for the scheme involves using an NHS-linked tracing app that ticket-holders would show at an additional security gate before entering festivals. More recent developments from Festival Republic on Reading and Leeds 2021 suggests that everyone will be tested for coronavirus at next year’s festival. It is clear that as our understanding of coronavirus develops, so too does the technology which will all help to overcome this pandemic.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

erm ... how is testing going right now? ;) 

Melvin's idea is great in principle, but straight away its flaw was obvious: it needs competent government.

If its for next summer, I think it will be based on a form of the Italy 30 minute test which is more reliable being in place. I assume its not based on a lab test one being in place

21 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Private testing seems to be fine though. If you've got £150 spare you can get one. 

there's no private testing with 200k+ testing capacity.

And who pays for those tests?

But anyway, Melvin's plan is based around the NHS testing regime, as made clear by what that plan actually says.

Edited by eFestivals

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

If its for next summer, I think it will be based on a form of the Italy 30 minute test which is more reliable being in place. I assume its not based on a lab test one being in place

so what you're saying is that it's 100% that Reading/Leeds will go ahead because of testing, despite there not being uk govt recognition for the test you think it'll be based around..?  ;) 

Things might pan out ok for festivals with testing just like things might pan out OK for festivals because of a vaccine. Or things might not pan out ok.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so what you're saying is that it's 100% that Reading/Leeds will go ahead because of testing, despite there not being uk govt recognition for the test you think it'll be based around..?  ;) 

Things might pan out ok for festivals with testing just like things might pan out OK for festivals because of a vaccine. Or things might not pan out ok.

Oh I'm not saying that at all. I'm assuming nothing will turn out ok for next year!

I try not to post anything negative in public forums, but I'm not feeling confident about Glastonbury (or any festivals next year) at all. The government said commercially available vaccines the first half of next year. if that's the case, surely festivals wouldn't be able to plan for a go-ahead, unless it ends up being early next year. June is what i'd class as 'mid' next year, so vaccines could only be available a few months before the event.

I'm fairly confident - although I think it depends on how early the govt announces what's going to happen.

My take has always been that big restrictions will end at the end of March next year (providing hospitals are coping), and from that point on we'll be "living with the virus" (until there's a vaccine).

At that point there should be a decent amount of herd immunity, plus the ability to spend more time outside where transmissions are lower.

I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm fairly confident - although I think it depends on how early the govt announces what's going to happen.

My take has always been that big restrictions will end at the end of March next year (providing hospitals are coping), and from that point on we'll be "living with the virus" (until there's a vaccine).

At that point there should be a decent amount of herd immunity, plus the ability to spend more time outside where transmissions are lower.

I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed. 

And if there is a working vaccine, they'll work towards getting vulnerable people vaccinated as well as key workers so even if there is a spread...

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Reading and Leeds have won music week's 'festival of the year 2020'.Z

How does a not-happening festival win anything...? :blink: 

I can't believe they beat Quarkstock to the title. I had Elvis, The Beatles and Beethoven all theoretically lined up. Politics I tell you.

• Upvote 2