Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

Just now, stuie said:

Absolutely does. Fuck that. 

It will be the worst festival crowd in the history of festival crowds. 

Anyone that still thinks this is something to celebrate needs to give their head a wobble.

The only reason I can see for attending is the chances of running into Nigel Farage or Katie Hopkins are probably quite high, meaning we can tell them to fuck off in person.

Then leave immediately and shower the Brexit off.

OK bear with me on this...

While the festival concept does sound like it would cringe me inside out, the idea of healing has to have some legs. However the govt does it, they have to figure out a way of bringing the country back together.

It's hamfisted and waaaaaay later than needed, but there have to be some steps forward otherwise we can just resign ourselves to a complete split on 52/48 lines for the foreseeable.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the problem with self-testing is that anyone could upload a fake result, so what a person shows at a festival gate could be incorrect.

But self-testing is the only way Benn's plan could work, cos the govt is never going to up-scale the current tests by 50 times.

I guess it's a trade off, you'd have to accept that the numbers who 1) test positive and 2) choose to go anyway and 3) don't get caught out by checks would be very small. 

If the 6 person gathering rule is staying in place till at least Christmas I cannot see Glastonbury and the entire festival period going ahead.

Downvote me if you want or call me a doomsayer who is “at it again” but I think Glastonbury 2021 was just cancelled right now.

They won’t spend money on a festival which can’t be certain it’s going ahead till January at the earliest.

Just now, Matt42 said:

If the 6 person gathering rule is staying in place till at least Christmas I cannot see Glastonbury and the entire festival period going ahead.

Downvote me if you want or call me a doomsayer who is “at it again” but I think Glastonbury 2021 was just cancelled right now.

They won’t spend money on a festival which can’t be certain it’s going ahead till January at the earliest.

Shall we see how the Salford mass testing pilot goes before your usual doom and gloom?

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If they can barely get a fucking app to work that Salford mass testing pilot will be dead on arrival.

Ok cool.

Like its up to you, but loads of people are stressed and feeling down on here on a regular basis. Maybe popping up with your opinions, other than factual stuff, may not be the most productive way forward?

I don't think anything that has happened in the last few days has doomed next year's festival - I was already feeling pretty down on it in the last few weeks as the cases were rising again. 

I have to hope the situation will be better than where we're at right now, next summer, but I don't think that situation will be good enough for festivals.

5 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I don't think anything that has happened in the last few days has doomed next year's festival - I was already feeling pretty down on it in the last few weeks as the cases were rising again. 

I have to hope the situation will be better than where we're at right now, next summer, but I don't think that situation will be good enough for festivals.

Yeah I don't see how the past few developments have had any direct effect. We are still so far away and there is so much to play for that I wouldn't want to call it personally. I'm probably naturally more pessimistic but honestly it's really difficult to assess how things will be that far out. So I'm trying to be hopeful (and about getting a ticket).

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Pretty much. I’m still of the opinion without a vaccine rollout (not necessarily universal) it ain’t happening. There’s no testing regime that seems workable to me at this stage, regardless of what Melvin says.

So yeah, on that front the only bad news from what I can see is out of AstraZeneca (but not necessarily even a fatal blow). The 6 person thing doesn’t move the needle.

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I need to process not being together with all my family at Christmas before I can even start to care about G21. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Won't down vote but keep in mind they are still doing pilots of events (albeit slowed down a bit now) with hundreds/thousands of people there even with the 6 person rule. 

Also the 6 person rule has always been there for outdoors, it's just not been legally enforceable. So it isn't as huge a change as you might think. Hopefully it does enough to change behaviour.

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Also the 6 person rule has always been there for outdoors, it's just not been legally enforceable. So it isn't as huge a change as you might think. Hopefully it does enough to change behaviour.

I thought it was 30? If not, it wasn’t clear to anyone! I went to a beach bbq with several NHS managers and they made a point of keeping it under 30 to stay within the rules! 

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

When do you reckon they would make the call for next year? I think it would be as early as possible (and can’t see tickets being rolled over again).

January is the new deadline for ticket refunds and someone said they need to submit an event plan 6 months before to the council. I think they'll leave it as late as possible to announce it to give themselves time to plan

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I thought it was 30? If not, it wasn’t clear to anyone! I went to a beach bbq with several NHS managers and they made a point of keeping it under 30 to stay within the rules! 

If it's a work thing it'll be exempt if you've done covid risk assessments, (even if it's a social work thing I think)

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

If it's a work thing it'll be exempt if you've done covid risk assessments, (even if it's a social work thing I think)

Not a work thing, 40th bday... and not all NHS either. Just pointing out how much confusion there’s been!