Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

31 minutes ago, danmarks said:

So now its about people suing if they catch covid? What with that secure knowledge of cexactly when and where you caught it and every insurance company paying out to the millions who already have caught it which is obviously what is already happeningin the real world.Bah youre not even trying anymore. 

Dont try and be deliberately obtuse, you make yourself look stupid. You should know full well that if there is a large outbreak linked to the festival there will be a media circus, especially among the right wing press who love to bash Glastonbury at every opportunity given that its full of lefty hippy types. There would be legal action taken against the festival, probably by the folk who camp in the luxury yurts and 'glamping' areas, accompanied by the banging drum of the Daily Express/Mail/Sun.

If we keep out the people who are susceptible and probably shouldn't be going to Glastonbury anyway, it will go a long way to minimise the damage.  

Solved - so we keep out:
- anyone over 50
- anyone with any health issues at all
- all BAME
- anyone who knows anyone from the above categories
- scousers - because they are way better at getting tickets than anyone else, and it's nothing to do with them being cleverer than the rest of us
- people with beards - because all sorts might be lingering in there
- actually, long hair, that's got to go too
- the great unwashed
- anyone rich enough to be able to sue anyone

Lovely. Both people who qualify can have a lovely time.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Solved - so we keep out:
- anyone over 50
- all BAME
- scousers - because they are way better at getting tickets than anyone else, and it's nothing to do with them being cleverer than the rest of us
- the great unwashed

You forgot men.

OK, I think most of us have realised but just a pointer for those that haven't or haven't come across this lad before...

image-20161005-15882-13x0gd1.jpg.7ba62ac27eded272f57c9f9952b70770.jpg

It's another incarnation of jimbarkanoodle or whatever he chose to call himself last time. Posting style is identical. Waste not thy time.

EDIT: if (who am I kidding? when) it downvotes this post, please don't waste your votes cancelling it out.  Just more attention for it. And I think my fragile ego can cope with a red arrow.

Edited by Quark

12 minutes ago, Diamond Geezer said:

Well done for stunting what was a fairly lively and topical discussion about festivals and coronavirus, as the thread was started and intending to be. At least you got your funny point scoring over someone who has a different opinion to you, shame you didn't get much attention. 

Well, it was until you turned up. I'm waiting for you to get bored before re-engaging with the thread.

So I know he's trolling. But (sorry), my workplace has a tiered return system where staff are ranked red, amber, green. Only green are allowed in atm, with red staying home and amber allowed with mitigation. 

Whilst probably not workable for general admission (other then general guidance before you come and then it's your risk), would they implement something similar for the site build and crew on site? Maybe for volunteers as well? What impact would it have?

Acts would probably be different as they'd just tighten their artist bubble further. 

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

So I know he's trolling. But (sorry), my workplace has a tiered return system where staff are ranked red, amber, green. Only green are allowed in atm, with red staying home and amber allowed with mitigation. 

Whilst probably not workable for general admission (other then general guidance before you come and then it's your risk), would they implement something similar for the site build and crew on site? Maybe for volunteers as well? What impact would it have?

Acts would probably be different as they'd just tighten their artist bubble further. 

I dont know tbh. From the little I know about the setup process for the festival it really looks like you'd be stripping out a potentially sizeable chunk of the workforce if they took that approach. I guess a lot of the generic (can't think of a better word) setup of stages and the like could be done by wider pool of people in that field who could be picked from a lower risk group, but a lot of the people core to the different stages and areas do look to be spread across amber and red categories, so would it work without them?

I mean older people btw. There be some older looking people who look like they've been setting up those areas since the 70s ;)

17 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Don't think so for the build, just because it wouldn't be needed.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that concerns over the build should be almost a non-issue now (other than not wanting to start it unless there's certainty over the festival itself of course). It's all outdoors, and in regulation/safety terms it's not much different than the construction industry which was one of the first industries to go back to work after the initial lockdown.

I'm pretty sure the site build could take place today, under current guidance, with fairly trivial changes to normal procedures - the main issues/changes I can see being needed would be around the aspects not directly related to the build itself ie staff bars and the like.

On topic, this is going down next week

https://committees.parliament.uk/event/1878/formal-meeting-oral-evidence-session/

melvin benn, andrew lloyd webber and more are going to give evidence to the culture, media and sport select committee about full capacity reopening. 

in theory theres surely only two ways this can end, they say it can happen in due course, or say it can’t and we’ll have to fund these industries. Presumably the music events industry wont be left to die on its arse but we’ll see....

48 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't think so for the build, just because it wouldn't be needed.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that concerns over the build should be almost a non-issue now (other than not wanting to start it unless there's certainty over the festival itself of course). It's all outdoors, and in regulation/safety terms it's not much different than the construction industry which was one of the first industries to go back to work after the initial lockdown.

I'm pretty sure the site build could take place today, under current guidance, with fairly trivial changes to normal procedures - the main issues/changes I can see being needed would be around the aspects not directly related to the build itself ie staff bars and the like.

Yeah I've been thinking the same. Given that building and construction etc have been back working for ages why would the build be any different?

Getting a bit concerned with early summer festivals. Coachella, Lollapalooza etc all looking to move to late Summer. I know it’s easier for them to do this because of weather, but I’m concerned they will move and take the big acts with them.

It’s probably likely that Glasto already has acts sorted for 2021 - just worried that this move to late summer 2021 might starve the early festival circuit of acts.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, hfuhruhurr said:

Solved - so we keep out:
- anyone over 50
- all BAME
- the great unwashed

That’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest ALL BAME are in the high risk group. The BAME population that have died from covid will still have been old and/or had underlying health conditions (usually both) 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest ALL BAME are in the high risk group. The BAME population that have died from covid will still have been old and/or had underlying health conditions (usually both) 

if you read all that post it seems very much tongue in cheek :) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-theatres-reopen-with-seat-out-to-help-out-kflrf0jjb?shareToken=89a608c3e58e448b7dc75ab7320b4b49

No social distancing in theatres and gig venues by november. But you have to have had a test before and 3 days later.

Hey - I want to see Mamma Mia live again as much as the next man/woman - I'm only human - but I'm not sure it's worth doing 14 days of quarantining over.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Hey - I want to see Mamma Mia live again as much as the next man/woman - I'm only human - but I'm not sure it's worth doing 14 days of quarantining over.

Ha! Tbf I'm thinking more for festivals.  Anyway, with the saliva tests, its not a 14 day quanratine. If your negative a few days later, you're good to go

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ha! Tbf I'm thinking more for festivals.  Anyway, with the saliva tests, its not a 14 day quanratine. If your negative a few days later, you're good to go

I dont understand how it would work though, what if you catch covid a few days later ? sorry if Iam missing something

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Takes a few days to become infectious. So if you do the test and see negative the day before, you'd be fine to go to the event

Just thinking this could be a positive sign for non camping day festivals for next year but could be an issue for a 5 day glastonbury where someone could in theory be negative one day before but become infectious during?

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Just thinking this could be a positive sign for non camping day festivals for next year but could be an issue for a 5 day glastonbury where someone could in theory be negative one day before but become infectious during?

maybe they would have no camping within the festival and test everyone everyday but it would take forever to get in so probaly not