Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Have they confirmed they'll have less stages this year? Seems a regression if so (and shit for the music industry and bands generally)

I haven't fully read the press release yet so I'm not sure if there's fewer stages.

But with "2 main stages" and ""6 headliners will perform in 2021 without any clashes" there's fewer acts, and the set-up is just like Reading Festival used to do in the eighties when there were 2 main stages (the only stages) and the acts used to alternative on the 2 stages so there was almost-constant music.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I haven't fully read the press release yet so I'm not sure if there's fewer stages.

But with "2 main stages" and ""6 headliners will perform in 2021 without any clashes" there's fewer acts, and the set-up is just like Reading Festival used to do in the eighties when there were 2 main stages (the only stages) and the acts used to alternative on the 2 stages so there was almost-constant music.

Ah ok. Could be more european/primavera style I guess, where they are several stages but the main stages don't clash as they are close to each other, and you go from one to the other. In some ways, if they have the line ups to support it, you get to watch more thebof the bands you want to watch

Just now, zahidf said:

In some ways, if they have the line ups to support it, you get to watch more thebof the bands you want to watch

yep, that's true - although only if it's got the bands you want to see.

And because fewer acts can be scheduled because they don't clash, unless the bookings have hit your tastes exactly, it's likely there'll be fewer acts you want to see.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Next in the saga it's "eFests X - jimbarkanoodle in Space"

I'm looking forward to his crossover movie with Katie Hopkins.

Imagine him on a first date

Her: Do you have any interesting hobbies?

Him: Every few weeks I create new accounts on forums on the internet so I can say obnoxious things to try and get a reaction.

Her: Err, are their reactions funny?

Him: Some people call me an arsehole for what I'm saying and some call me an arsehole because I keep doing it but most pretty much ignore me. It's quality.

Her: Umm, cool?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Him: Every few weeks I create new accounts on forums on the internet so I can say obnoxious things to try and get a reaction.

Him: Some people call me an arsehole for what I'm saying and some call me an arsehole because I keep doing it but most pretty much ignore me. It's quality.

Crumbs he was checking out my profile ... should I put on my suit ? :) Or am I ruled out cos I inject but don’t use ket 

Edited by crazyfool1

8 minutes ago, mcshed said:

“But the joke’s on them for thinking I’m an arse...”

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Melvin Benn says everyone at Reading and Leeds next year will get tested. I don't know if that's a certainty or a bit of a cushion statement to try and reassure people enough to part with their cash. 

If you rocked up at a festival and tested positive at the gate then everyone you've arrived with and stood with would need to isolate.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-2021-covid-coronavirus-testing-2742578

On 9/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, Tartan_Glasto said:

Do we have a test where you bet an instant result yet? Surely testing everyone who goes still risks infection spreading until results are back in. 

An instant result that even if you catch covid you'll probably be ok is already widely available, it is called 'age' and 'underlying health conditions'. If any of the two arent great then just stick to socially distanced BBQ's for the foreseeable, not camping toe to toe with thousands of other people in unsanitary conditions. Its a no brainer, and then the rest of us can actually get on with enjoying life.  

• Downvote 1

I think 49 is a great age. What do i win?

Although, as im sure youre aware it isnt just about age and underlying health conditions that can affect the outcome of anyone catching it. Yes odds are increased if you're female, under 40 and white of being perfectly fine, so why not be totally risk adverse and make Glastonbury just for this demographic. 

Everyone has their own feeling on risk and what is a acceptable but human nature normally kicks in to make sure any rules wont affect the person suggesting them in a negative way.

Would you also stop Michael eavis from being on his own farm? Any acts, traders, bar staff etc etc over 50 from being there?

19 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Although, as im sure youre aware it isnt just about age and underlying health conditions that can affect the outcome of anyone catching it. Yes odds are increased if you're female, under 40 and white of being perfectly fine, so why not be totally risk adverse and make Glastonbury just for this demographic. 

Everyone has their own feeling on risk and what is a acceptable but human nature normally kicks in to make sure any rules wont affect the person suggesting them in a negative way.

Would you also stop Michael eavis from being on his own farm? Any acts, traders, bar staff etc etc over 50 from being there?

Win! Now all I need is a ticket 🤔

17 hours ago, danmarks said:

Most festivals make big efforts to keep under 18's out (I.D checks etc) because they are assumed to be in potential danger due to all the drinking and drug use that goes on. They are too young for it. 

So, why not keep old people out to prevent the harm/danger that comes from Covid? 

As a 49 year old, i guess you would just about pass the test, but anyone over about 40 should be forced to sign a waiver saying they cant sue the festival afterwards if they catch covid. 

This solution wouldnt go on forever of course, but just for a couple of years i really dont see why people who are repeatedly told they are at risk of the virus cant just drop the stubbornness and stay at home, for their own good and the good of others. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Diamond Geezer said:

Most festivals make big efforts to keep under 18's out (I.D checks etc) because they are assumed to be in potential danger due to all the drinking and drug use that goes on. They are too young for it. 

So, why not keep old people out to prevent the harm/danger that comes from Covid? 

As a 49 year old, i guess you would just about pass the test, but anyone over about 40 should be forced to sign a waiver saying they cant sue the festival afterwards if they catch covid. 

This solution wouldnt go on forever of course, but just for a couple of years i really dont see why people who are repeatedly told they are at risk of the virus cant just drop the stubbornness and stay at home, for their own good and the good of others. 

I went to festivals loads when I was 15/16/17 so not sure what you're on about there. Not to mention families with kids, of which there are many. Just need ID to buy booze.

(Don't know why I'm feeding the troll)

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I went to festivals loads when I was 15/16/17 so not sure what you're on about there. Not to mention families with kids, of which there are many. Just need ID to buy booze.

(Don't know why I'm feeding the troll)

You probably went to shitty Reading or Leeds which is full of teenagers and in no way some kind of yardstick to measure all festivals against. 

You try getting into the big dance music festivals under 18, and you'll struggle unless with an adult etc. 

Of course there are some really lame, family orientated, faux hippy ones like Latitude or Womad where you can probably get into as a 14 year with no problems but if you are going to those as a teenager its likely you'll grow up to be a bit of a melt anyway. 

• Downvote 2

So now its about people suing if they catch covid? What with that secure knowledge of cexactly when and where you caught it and every insurance company paying out to the millions who already have caught it which is obviously what is already happeningin the real world.Bah youre not even trying anymore.