Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

57 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Given Melvins confidence for August, and the apparent uncertainty around June, any chance the Eavii would be looking into a later glasto in 2021? 

No, for all the usual reasons.

This far out nobody can reasonably predict that a change in circumstance will occur between June and August next year so in planning terms the date isn't that big a factor - of course it could theoretically be a huge difference, in both directions, but there's no way of knowing that until it's far too late to be planned for.

If Glastonbury falls, and R+L doesn't, the difference will likely be because of complexity not because of the dates. If R+L goes ahead, then IOW likely will as well and that's the weekend before Glastonbury.

Melvin is adamant it’s going ahead without social distancing regardless of vaccine. I have to admit, I think he’s right. If there’s not a vaccine by that point the government will give up and say it’s everyone’s own responsibility to decide how much risk they’re willing to take, so bans on gatherings will probably be repealed. 

9 minutes ago, incident said:

This far out nobody can reasonably predict that a change in circumstance will occur between June and August next year so in planning terms the date isn't that big a factor - of course it could theoretically be a huge difference, in both directions, but there's no way of knowing that until it's far too late to be planned for.

If Glastonbury falls, and R+L doesn't, the difference will likely be because of complexity not because of the dates. If R+L goes ahead, then IOW likely will as well and that's the weekend before Glastonbury.

I dunno. A couple of months during a vaccine rollout could be very significant.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I dunno. A couple of months during a vaccine rollout could be very significant.

As could a couple months during a surge in cases and increased restrictions.

It's a gamble that works both ways.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Melvin is adamant it’s going ahead without social distancing regardless of vaccine. I have to admit, I think he’s right. If there’s not a vaccine by that point the government will give up and say it’s everyone’s own responsibility to decide how much risk they’re willing to take, so bans on gatherings will probably be repealed. 

Was talking about this with my wife last night. There will come a time when the country/world decides to live with it. I thought maybe after two solid months of daily deaths being in single figures (or preferably, zero)?

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Was talking about this with my wife last night. There will come a time when the country/world decides to live with it. I thought maybe after two solid months of daily deaths being in single figures (or preferably, zero)?

I think it depends on the Oxford vaccine. If it’s continuing to look good, the UK government will stall reopening for a few more months until it’s ready. If it fails at the final hurdle and the other vaccines aren’t looking great either then they pivot to herd immunity 2.0

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

It works one way miles more than the other. Every single indicator is that festival season will be after vaccine rollout has begun. 

All depending on when that starts, how much can be produced (remembering that the entire world is clamouring for it), what level of effectiveness it has, what level of natural immunity has built up by then, what the wider situation in the country (and the world) looks like, and probably hundreds of other factors I don't know.

As I said - it could well make a difference. But we've got absolutely no reliable way of predicting that at this point whether 10 months from now is going to be any better or worse timing for festivals than 12 months from now. I understand the general sentiment that further away equals better, but it doesn't always work like that, and it's certainly not something that should be used to decide on a quite fundamental change that I assume carries a fairly significant extra cost.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Reading going ahead, announcement Monday for next year. 6 headliners, only one from this year 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-festival-boss-2021-line-up-tickets-testing-melvin-benn-interview-2739191

Fair play to him, I've just put on that Rage set. Wouldn't say that it immediately starts off as a classic, but once it gets past Vietnow 🥰

2 hours ago, incident said:

Also I think people have mentioned before that the glastonbury fence goes to creamfields, stages go to R+L, circus field goes to the fringe, SE Corner are at Boomtown. 

A date move is really not at all an easy option.

19 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Tell me again Mr Benn - how long do Glasto tix take to sell out...? Must be doing something right then!

To be fair, he did say nothing compares to Glastonbury... true that.

9 hours ago, Cornwall James said:

Had drinks with family friends on Wednesday evening. The girlfriend of one of the lads had just driven down to us in Cornwall from Pilton. She lives next door to the farm. Says Eavis has no expectation of it going ahead next year, having huge problems in securing acts because of obvious travel issues. And if it misses next year then will be in real financial difficulty, which I don't quite understand frankly, although I know Neil has posted before on the festivals financial set up. 

Parklife are announcing a line up in September. It's not exactly had unknown headliners before either. Previous include George Ezra, The Streets, Tyler the creator, Lewis Capaldi, Dave. 

So surely the acts can be worked out. They'd just have to plan a tour either with quarantine factored in (nice 2 week break in a mansion  either side of a month of gigs) or lobby governments for an exemption for music acts. 

Sony and Universal, etc must have the reach to be able to do that. 

18 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Given Melvins confidence for August, and the apparent uncertainty around June, any chance the Eavii would be looking into a later glasto in 2021? 

funnily enough, someone msg'd me saying that a September fest is being considered with the decision being taken in January.

I can't guarantee that info is accurate of course, but I'm more inclined to believe it than not.

Having said that I'm not really sure that September makes a huge difference with June. There's a lot of reasons to be hopeful that things will have changed by June to allow the festival to go ahead (with either a vaccine or a testing regime), but if things haven't changed by June then I don't think there's a lot of hope to be found in an extra 3 months.