Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s becoming obvious that festivals of all sizes and genres are events which seem to be getting little or no government assistance. 

Theres still time yet, there is a grant due to come out for the entertainment industry, mainly aimed at venues and events industry. Unfortunately the government are dragging their heels on these grants as they prepare them for distribution.

That one was announced on July 3rd and nothing new has came out since.There was two grants that were announced in the last month that start distribution in Septemebr so hopefully when they go out then theyll jump on the venue one in time for the pencilled in reopenings in October.

Hopefully at somepoint a festivals grant gets announced. I can see more grants coming but tbf theyve had a mare organising the ones out now so adding more to the mix at the same time would have been messy as hell.

Thats obviosuly to no avail to those needing them but there is hope at least.

Edited by chatty
Spelling

So it’s appeared in the past few hours that coachella might be going ahead with new dates - October 2021. Moving the festival from early summer to the autumn. Mainly because acts don’t see early summer as likely for anything to go ahead.

v worrying times indeed

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

So it’s appeared in the past few hours that coachella might be going ahead with new dates - October 2021. Moving the festival from early summer to the autumn. Mainly because acts don’t see early summer as likely for anything to go ahead.

v worrying times indeed

APE moving theirs from May to August too

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

v worrying times indeed

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

APE moving theirs from May to August too

Where are these being reported? Did a Google and couldn't find anything. APE news is a bit worrying. Would have thought that would be easier to do safely than Glasto.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Where are these being reported? Did a Google and couldn't find anything. APE news is a bit worrying. Would have thought that would be easier to do safely than Glasto.

Neil had info on APE the other day.  Last 2 weekends of August 

And Matt runs a festival twitter account and calls people chumps! He knows things....

Edited by sisco

Had drinks with family friends on Wednesday evening. The girlfriend of one of the lads had just driven down to us in Cornwall from Pilton. She lives next door to the farm. Says Eavis has no expectation of it going ahead next year, having huge problems in securing acts because of obvious travel issues. And if it misses next year then will be in real financial difficulty, which I don't quite understand frankly, although I know Neil has posted before on the festivals financial set up. 

3 minutes ago, Cornwall James said:

Had drinks with family friends on Wednesday evening. The girlfriend of one of the lads had just driven down to us in Cornwall from Pilton. She lives next door to the farm. Says Eavis has no expectation of it going ahead next year, having huge problems in securing acts because of obvious travel issues. And if it misses next year then will be in real financial difficulty, which I don't quite understand frankly, although I know Neil has posted before on the festivals financial set up. 

I met with a friend who is cousins with Emily's podiatrist, and apparently its 100% going ahead

15 minutes ago, Cornwall James said:

Michael (or Emily? I think Michael) said as much in an interview a while back. Not about next year, the bit about it being in difficulty if it couldn't go ahead next year. Which at the time I think was seen as all the more incentive to make it work.

A glimmer of hope for the global live music sector? The French government has announced that social distancing is no longer a requirement for events with fewer than 5,000 people in attendance after September 1. However, there is one caveat. Facemask wearing must be ‘continuous’ whether indoors or outdoors. We’re not entirely sure how on earth that’s going to be policed, but the news will certainly provide some sort of welcome boost to the concert industry. And for branded face mask merch sellers too. The question now is this - how confident might you personally be, mixing and rubbing shoulders with strangers again in such a setting, particularly if just one of them decides not to comply with the dictate for mandatory face covering? And how safe is anyone in reality in such a hot and sweaty environment? Last week, Italian and Spanish officials shut down all clubs, venues and party spaces again when Covid-19 cases more than doubled and the average age of those infected fell below 40. A glimmer of hope for the global live music sector? The French government has announced that social distancing is no longer a requirement for events with fewer than 5,000 people in attendance after September 1. However, there is one caveat. Facemask wearing must be ‘continuous’ whether indoors or outdoors. We’re not entirely sure how on earth that’s going to be policed, but the news will certainly provide some sort of welcome boost to the concert industry. And for branded face mask merch sellers too. The question now is this - how confident might you personally be, mixing and rubbing shoulders with strangers again in such a setting, particularly if just one of them decides not to comply with the dictate for mandatory face covering? And how safe is anyone in reality in such a hot and sweaty environment? Last week, Italian and Spanish officials shut down all clubs, venues and party spaces again when Covid-19 cases more than doubled and the average age of those infected fell below 40.

14 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s becoming obvious that festivals of all sizes and genres are events which seem to be getting little or no government assistance. 

Not really a natural Tory voting demographic is it?

Don't know if its been mentioned but a few Racecourses have been has been granted ‘pilot status’ to trial the return of the crowds, one being the four-day St Leger Festival - Wednesday 9 to Saturday 12 September. Its a massive decrease from its normal capacity though. 3,640 general admissions on the Wednesday, rising to 6,202 general admissions for the following three days. The reported attendance from last year was 187,505.

A lot of locals don't want it going ahead incase it causes an outbreak. Considering Doncaster cases are 2 per 100,000 and no one in intensive care at the moment. 

Looks like this could be the start of a trial for bigger crowds for sports and live music. 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Reading going ahead, announcement Monday for next year. 6 headliners, only one from this year 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-festival-boss-2021-line-up-tickets-testing-melvin-benn-interview-2739191

I love the confidence and i am starting to be a believer that it's all going to be alright. June is a long way off, I think that everything he says that will be in place for R&L should be in place by June. If i were the Eavis i'd soldier on as normal, which i have no doubt they will. Twelve people died yesterday, we are way past the peak. We just need to look after that infection rate and we are sorted. Let's get over this winter and we are home and dried.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Reading going ahead, announcement Monday for next year. 6 headliners, only one from this year 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-festival-boss-2021-line-up-tickets-testing-melvin-benn-interview-2739191

Just had an email from their mailing list saying ‘Hold on to your (bucket) hats’. Liam to be the one headliner they’re keeping?

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nice little dig at Glasto at the start there - he couldn’t help himself 😂

But yeah, really nice to see the positivity... even if the things he says - “technology” - are easier in theory than practice.